• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Leanin' H!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
I was thinking of you and your fences this morning while I was building some braces. I guess it's probably the leanin H shape this one has. I guess these northern cattle must be bigger than what you guys are raising down south, because this strain brace seem a little bigger than what you build down there!

It makes me nervous that you think about me in the mornings Silver! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: That brace is bigger but you do raise crossbred moose on your place so i guess it's neccesary, right? :wink:

Saw a whole bunch of fence in southern South Dakota recently that had two H braces side by side but there was a good foot or more gap between them. No wire or anything across that gap and there were plenty of those situations on both sides of the highway. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what that was all about. Wouldn't keep a calf in so the whole thing just escaped me. This was on the rez, if that matters at all. :???:

High Plains said:
Saw a whole bunch of fence in southern South Dakota recently that had two H braces side by side but there was a good foot or more gap between them. No wire or anything across that gap and there were plenty of those situations on both sides of the highway. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what that was all about. Wouldn't keep a calf in so the whole thing just escaped me. This was on the rez, if that matters at all. :???:
Being SD maybe it was so the jackrabbits can get thru :D

Makes at least as much sense as those extremely tall posts on some sections of the fences along I-90 between Rapid City and Wall, or maybe even farther east.

Have heard it has something to do with deep snow, or game animals, but can't make sense of it. Could be a Federal 'make work' project in both places if one mentioned is on the Reservation, couldn't it?

mrj

Its all the way across 18 like that, and every where else on the rez from what I have seen. I was told that the fence contractors get paid by the posts they set and by the box corners they set. They don't get paid for 1/2 boxes, and they have to be so far apart to get paid.
Of course it could also be so that people can get through the fence with out going over or under. If I walked as much as some of those guys do.... I wouldn't have a job either.

Latest posts