• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Mike.... Charolais Jewels!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
Mike, All the bull calves off of one of my Char bulls seem to have HUGE testicles!!!! I ring them when they are a day old and one that I did today nearly didn't fit through the elastorator!!!!
Is this a common "problem" with the Char breed????? :wink: :wink:
I'm just not sure if the added feed conversion and ADG of the Charolais is really worth it it if I'm going to run into problems such as this. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
Mike, All the bull calves off of one of my Char bulls seem to have HUGE testicles!!!! I ring them when they are a day old and one that I did today nearly didn't fit through the elastorator!!!!
Is this a common "problem" with the Char breed????? :wink: :wink:
I'm just not sure if the added feed conversion and ADG of the Charolais is really worth it it if I'm going to run into problems such as this. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes Tim, it is a common problem. Sometimes on my yearlings I have to hitch a wagon behind them to carry the testicles. :wink:

Mike- "Yes Tim, it is a common problem. Sometimes on my yearlings I have to hitch a wagon behind them to carry the testicles. "

Do you mean like a big farm wagon or a little "Radio Flyer" wagon ???? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Those Radio Flyers work pretty good if they are the type that has the wooden side extensions on them. Of course not a big farm wagon Tim. You know better than that! :shock: You may have to buy you a "Smart-Bander" from Mike Callicrate.

Seriously, large testicles at youth are correlated with early physical maturity.

I don't care who you are, that's funny, lol.

Never knew large testicles ere a problem, sounds like bragging to me :)

Your discussion kinda reminds me of the little boy who had his dog hitched to a little red Radio Flyer wagon, and was playing firetruck. A neighbor walked by and suggested to the boy that it would be better if the wagon was tied to the dog's neck instead of the dog's testicles. The boy replied, "But then I wouldn't have a siren." :)

All joking aside, this is a really noticeable trait with this particular bull. I use him on 3/4 and 7/8 Maine cows and these calves consistantly finish earlier and on less feed than most of the others. If I use him on cows that are 1/2 Char or more, they seem to be harder feeding, narrower type cattle and any of these heifers that I keep seem to be a little short of milk. Just my own unscientific observations!!!!! :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
All joking aside, this is a really noticeable trait with this particular bull. I use him on 3/4 and 7/8 Maine cows and these calves consistantly finish earlier and on less feed than most of the others. If I use him on cows that are 1/2 Char or more, they seem to be harder feeding, narrower type cattle and any of these heifers that I keep seem to be a little short of milk. Just my own unscientific observations!!!!! :lol: :lol:

You just keep on making these "unscientific observations" and it will pay off one day! It sounds as though it's working pretty good now.
What's his breeding?

Latest posts