• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Murgen?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Murgen- Could this have been one of the plants Leo was talking about when he said Canadian slaughter houses were killing downers and not removing SRM's as required?... :???:
-----------------------
LEGAL/REGULATORY NEWS
Canadian slaughterhouse license revoked

by Pete Hisey on 7/7/2005 for Meatingplace.com

Denview Meat Packers of Mount Elgin, Ontario, had its slaughter license revoked Tuesday on the grounds that it had sold uninspected beef and pork, according to the Tillsonburg News.

The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs heard evidence that the plant had illegally slaughtered several animals in the middle of the night in early May to avoid inspection, and that the plant may have sold beef from cattle over 30 months of age without removing specified risk materials (SRMs). OMAFRA commissioners said during a hearing that Denview had a history of animal cruelty and food safety violations. Owner Case Den Dekker told the paper that he may close the plant permanently.

the plant had illegally slaughtered several animals in the middle of the night in early May to avoid inspection, and that the plant may have sold beef from cattle over 30 months of age without removing specified risk materials (SRMs).
Well Oldtimer he had his license pulled and the plant may never open again so looks like the big hugh problem of slaughtering several animals in the middle of the night is all taken care of at least in Canada :wink:

Could this have been one of the plants Leo was talking about when he said Canadian slaughter HOUSES were killing downer
this was ONE house and where in the article did they say the animals were DOWNERS? Are you reading things into the story just to justify LEO's LIE? Well nice try but better try harder next time Oldtimer :roll:

I think this proves the rules are being broken in your country also. Remember all the sarcastic comments rendered in the last week or so about the US compliance record. Well what is that saying about glass houses etc. we have heard so much about?

There will always be those who bend the law. Everywhere. In every country. What the message here is that it didn't get them very far, did it? They got caught. They were closed down. As they should be.

No one looked the other way, either. :!:

feeder said:
I think this proves the rules are being broken in your country also. Remember all the sarcastic comments rendered in the last week or so about the US compliance record. Well what is that saying about glass houses etc. we have heard so much about?
The comments of the last week don't even begin to match those made against Canada over the past two years. :roll:
The question this article leads to is:
Regulations are broken in both countries and with all the slaughter plants in the US why don't we ever hear about them? I have never toured a US plant but have 2 friends who did last year. They both work in one of the major Canadian plants and couldn't believe how filthy the large US plants were that they were in especially given the fact they were hosting visitors.

A lot of folks here have been giving the Canucks a hard time for a long time. Too long in my opinion - not that my opinion is worth much.

But the chickens have come home to roost. Squabbles will not change the fact that a home grown case has been found in Texas.

Downers have been banned for a long time in Canuck land - and while there may have been talk of rule breaking, woe to anyone caught breaking those rules - as evidenced by the latest shutdown for rule breaking.

As for plants closing down because of rule breaking - it did not take the regulators long to shut it down either - and yes Kato - I noticed no one looked the other way. Regulators in Canada are not only getting tough - they are now encouraged to get tough - a good thing in my books.

Rightly so.

B.C.

Regards,

B.C.

It's necessary to retain credibility. And credibility can make or break you. :shock:

There have been lessons to be learned over the past two years, and we've done our best to learn them.

Tam said:
the plant had illegally slaughtered several animals in the middle of the night in early May to avoid inspection, and that the plant may have sold beef from cattle over 30 months of age without removing specified risk materials (SRMs).
Well Oldtimer he had his license pulled and the plant may never open again so looks like the big hugh problem of slaughtering several animals in the middle of the night is all taken care of at least in Canada :wink:

Could this have been one of the plants Leo was talking about when he said Canadian slaughter HOUSES were killing downer
this was ONE house and where in the article did they say the animals were DOWNERS? Are you reading things into the story just to justify LEO's LIE? Well nice try but better try harder next time Oldtimer :roll:

Tam, is it YOUR nature to never accept the fact that the people you despise are often right? :shock:

Wow it's a good thing no one is keeping count of the discrepancies from one side or the other.
Could ya imagine if some one had to hit a bullsheeeet buzzer every time a..... insert nice word for lie or varied version of truth where said or printed.
Glad they have been caught and dealt with is. As anything like this should be....anywhere.

the chief said:
Tam said:

Tam, is it YOUR nature to never accept the fact that the people you despise are often right? :shock:
Where was Leo right here Chief? :???: This was one plant that was caught doing something that is ILLEGAL IN CANADA. How does one plants illegal actitvities which were rewarded with a permanent vacation, justify the statement LEO made about "Canada still processes downer and the US doesn't". Did Leo know of this illegal activity when he made his statement months ago and are you positive these same little illegal activities are not going on in the US? You can try drag the Canadian beef industry through the mud again for the ILLEGAL action of one plant that got shut down as soon as the government found out but the only thing I believe LEO said that was right was watch where you point the finger of blame as the bottom three fingers are pointing back at YOU. Unless you can prove Canada is knowingly processing downers in their plants which is illegal in Canada and why Oldtimer thinks this plant was shut down and this activity isn't going on in the US LEO LIED And this plants illegal actions does not justify his LIE about the whole Canadian Beef industry. :mad:

Broke Cowboy said:
A lot of folks here have been giving the Canucks a hard time for a long time. Too long in my opinion - not that my opinion is worth much.

But the chickens have come home to roost. Squabbles will not change the fact that a home grown case has been found in Texas.

Downers have been banned for a long time in Canuck land - and while there may have been talk of rule breaking, woe to anyone caught breaking those rules - as evidenced by the latest shutdown for rule breaking.

As for plants closing down because of rule breaking - it did not take the regulators long to shut it down either - and yes Kato - I noticed no one looked the other way. Regulators in Canada are not only getting tough - they are now encouraged to get tough - a good thing in my books.

Rightly so.

B.C.

Regards,

B.C.

I agree with what you are saying Broke cowboy,but the thing that bothers some of us is,how long has this been going on till they shut him down,and how many more are doing this .................good luck

Case Den Dekker
Sure sounds like an American name to me. :lol: :lol: Like those American action heroes Van Damme and Schwarzenegger. :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Broke Cowboy said:

Rightly so.

B.C.

Regards,

B.C.

I agree with what you are saying Broke cowboy,but the thing that bothers some of us is,how long has this been going on till they shut him down,and how many more are doing this .................good luck

.....On both sides of the border..... and if it is found in the US will the US act as fast as Canada did to shut it down. :?

Reuters story (April 8, 2005) quoting Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry, Bob Odom (Louisiana)

snip .....
The Department of Agriculture and Forestry has an ongoing surveillance program for BSE. All "downer" or ill cattle are monitored and tested upon slaughter.
end snip...

http://www.politicsla.com/press_releases/2005/april/040805_ldaf.htm

Didn't anyone tell the Commish that it's alright to salughter downers in the US but only if you don't tell anyone!!!!!

HAY MAKER said:
Broke Cowboy said:

Rightly so.

B.C.

Regards,

B.C.

Morning Hay Maker:

I watch some of these threads and wonder if folks truly - I mean truly - believe that the various operations north and south of the border are crooked. I would almost think so from some of the comments I read.

I believe there probably are some shady operators that will always be in operation - but they will be found out and they will be shut down. Sooner or later someone will let the cat out of the bag. Others will start up and eventually they will be shut down in their own turn.

To that end I always believe it is important that one has a clean back yard before pointing the proverbial finger - unless of course it is simply to rattle another's chain.

There is no way that a Canadian OR U.S.of A. operator wants to be put out of business by regulators. So in answer to your comment about "how long has this been going on?"

I would suspect since time immemorial. I would suspect it happens continent wide - if not world wide. I would also suspect it will disappear in North America due to those who are in the business that are legit and moral and ethical operators.

Note: They - the slaughter boys and girls - may be money hogs and they may be cut throat competitors - but they probably like the cash flow and would not want to jeopardize that income.

The Canadians have taken it on the chin in some very harsh ways from some for the BSE in Canada. It was presented to them from a very smug point of view and perhaps that hurt them the most - those that were once considered friends were now providing a serious "rubbing it in" story.

Now that the tables have turned there is less of this, but the jabs that I see being presented are still those of people who find it fun to rub open wounds - not really my cup of Joe - and it will keep the hackles raised for many years to come - truly too bad.

This thread is simply a method of raising the ire of those that are willing to bite at the bait presented.

There are a couple of folks on this board that are truly excellent fisherman - and there are some willing fish to be had as well - would you not agree?

B.C.

Latest posts