• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Soap

Help Support Ranchers.net:

farmboy

Reaction score
Or anyone else in the ranchers world....took the annual trip to the Black Hills Stock Show, only difference we took the little one (8) and the three performances we went to all had junior barrel racers. Needless to say I now have an eight year old that thinks she is participating in the NFR next year. My question to all of you is: we need a good sound older horse for her to ride just to see if she is even going to like riding let alone try to rodeo some day. She has been on horses before and loved it, but having one to take care of and also ride will be different for her. The wifey is also looking for a horse for herself, So if any of you know of someone or if any of you might have something in mind, we aren't afraid to drive some distance for the right horse (after all we did drive to Ohio last year for two dogs) I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone :D

farmboy said:
Or anyone else in the ranchers world....took the annual trip to the Black Hills Stock Show, only difference we took the little one (8) and the three performances we went to all had junior barrel racers. Needless to say I now have an eight year old that thinks she is participating in the NFR next year. My question to all of you is: we need a good sound older horse for her to ride just to see if she is even going to like riding let alone try to rodeo some day. She has been on horses before and loved it, but having one to take care of and also ride will be different for her. The wifey is also looking for a horse for herself, So if any of you know of someone or if any of you might have something in mind, we aren't afraid to drive some distance for the right horse (after all we did drive to Ohio last year for two dogs) I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone :D

If you find an extra horse with the same qualifications that you are looking for, I need one for myself. I can't get on a normal sized horse right now, on account of the West Nile, so am looking for a stout gentle pony capable of packing a 200 pound fat gimpy old cowboy. This ideal equine needs to be dog gentle and broke to stand still for a guy to get on. If it was trained to kneel, that would be even better.

This evening I was hobbling around the corral trying to coax a couple pairs out the gate. One heifer took off for the open gate, and then remembered she had a calf. I was stumbling around between her and the calf, and moved as quickly as I could toward a fence. My mind works faster than my legs, and next thing I knew I was sprawled out full length with the heifer wondering what happened to me. I brandished my cane and tried to look intimidating from a prone position. She thought I didn't look worth messing with, so veered off and ran to her calf. Wish I had either been on a pony or a Polaris. :wink: If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough. :)

Get the quad out Soapweed, leave it in low gear. You CAN pair out with one using the same patience you would use mounted on a good horse.

Could have been worse! :lol:

burnt said:
Soap, that had to be a bit of a heart stopper for a few seconds.

I was a bit worried if the cane would hold out. :wink: A garage door is missing the rope with which to close it. I have been hooking the bottom of the door with the crook in my cane. A few days ago, I did this and gave a mighty pull. The cane completely splintered and was rendered nearly useless. Fortunately I had another cane to walk to the house. Since then I've stocked up on spare wooden livestock canes available for $15 each at Bomgaar's. :)

PureCountry said:
Soap it's funny you mentioned the kneeling horse because as soon as I started reading your post I thought we should find you a retired Lippizaner that'll kneel down right beside you. :lol: :lol:

Hey, anything is possible -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQXraF0ASZg

Soap not to be a smart a-- but build yourself a ramp. I see them used quite a bit for people that have lower limb problems.

mwj said:
Soap not to be a smart a-- but build yourself a ramp. I see them used quite a bit for people that have lower limb problems.

My sister has Down's syndrome. They started a deal locally something like riding for ??? Anyway studies show special needs kids get a lot out of riding horses. So my dad built a ramp so they can get on even from a wheel chair. Would work good to get started maybe not so good to get off and open a gate. :wink:

Latest posts