• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hfr problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Yesterday we went to move our hfrs and a few cows home from some far pasture. One hfr. was laying by the corral like she was sleeping with her head around on her side. When she got up her head stayed twisted back along her side and she ran in a big circle. We managed to corral and load her as she wouldn't have made it down the trail. When I went to unload her at home she wouldn't get up but i left the trailer backed up to the gate and she came off in the night. Today she is laying in the pen with her head still pulled around. She doesn't look like she had her head caught in anything. The neck muscles seem to be hard and bulge out .

Anybody seen anything like this?

Never with older cattle. I have saw it with new calves that have been stepped on and it seems to be made worse by the weather. Cold weather in particular. I'd guess trauma of some sort. Was she vaccinated recently? I don't even know if a reaction could cause that> just know lots a folks vaccinate in the neck nowadays. Hope ya find out and fill us in! Good luck!

Had a heifer calf born this spring with that same problem,she was only i'm guessing a couple hours old when i found her,and her neck was twisted around .I don't think her mom step on her,was breathing just fine,but it was cold and dumping snow. :???: was dead within a couple hours :cry:

Had a heifer calf born this spring with that same problem,she was only i'm guessing a couple hours old when i found her,and her neck was twisted around .I don't think her mom step on her

had the same deal this spring also..........was watchin the cow for awhile and but by the time I checked the rest of the herd and got back to her, she had already delievered. Noticed the deal with the neck. Calf made it about 2 hours then died. Thought maybe I should have pulled her??

It could be a Polio problem caused by Thiamine deficiency. I have seen this problem in younger cattle--yearlings and younger, but I suppose it could happen with older cattle. Have your vet check her out. You can give Thiamine in the vein, but it may take a few shots to get her up and going.

gcreekrch said:
The wife says Listeria.

I checked it out on Merck and it sure could be it.

I gave some Oxytet LP in the vein but low and behold good old Pen G is the drug of choice. I didn't think that stuff cured anything anymore. :?

We had a steer at the feedlot do something like that this summer. Would lay down like he was dead then he would jump up and start walking in circles holding his head funny, then he would get tired and lay down again. It was really hard to get him to walk straight and he would walk right into you if you got in his path. Did this for a day or so then we finally got him roped and injected some thiamine in him and seemed to get better. Never thought he would make it but he is still alive and doing fine. They gave him a couple more thiamine injections a few days later i think.

I put the Hfr down. She wasn't responding to treatment and was out in a pen with little shelter so i did what i had to do.
I talked to the vet and he figured possibly Listeria or some other brain inflamtion type problem. I mentioned the Thiamine and he said it sure wouldn't hurt he was quite sure that it wasn't the problem. :???:

Oh well now I have Coyote bait. :roll:

I would only think a thyamine problem if she had been getting plenty of distiller's.......I run across this a LOT down here in feedlots...but never heard of it in a pasture situation until now.

Years ago we had a colt who exhibited the same symptoms, neck turned to one side, walked in circles, and had to stand alongside the feed bunk, instead of in front of the bunk, to eat. Dad felt sorry for the colt and gave him to a gal who was about 120 miles away. When that colt was about 2 1/2 years old, she went out to do chores one day, and his neck was straight! He never was any the worse for wear, could travel as straight as a line, and went on to be a good saddle horse.

We never stop learning.

Latest posts