• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High Country Pictures;

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
When it's too hot to ride the desert, we have some great country in places, like Fish Lake and The Boulder Mountain. After the middle of June the quakies are starting to grow leaves and the scenery starts to look a lot better.

IMGP2153.jpg

2006-08-21BearCreel_Craig_Keith002.jpg

2006-08-21BearCreel_Craig_Keith005.jpg

Those mules do things, I don't try to do with my horse.
IMGP2131.jpg

IMGP2162.jpg

Dry Lake,,,, Doesn't look too dry to me.
IMGP2147copy.jpg

Mcgraf Lake on the Boulder;
IMGP2170.jpg

IMGP2164.jpg

IMGP2175.jpg

IMGP2199.jpg

Beaver damns on Bear Creek;
IMGP2140.jpg

Don't take H up there Mustang.

He'll think he's seen the Pacific Ocean and the 7 seas. :wink:

Pretty country, what is the elevation there?

gcreekrch said:

The highest part of the Boulder is 10,000 ft. But we were not up there. I checked on Delorem Map Program. I found out how to spell McGath Lake. It was listed at 9,364 ft. and Dry Lake at 9,629. There are a lot of lakes on the Boulder. Many of them are up the hill form McGath.
H' told me he had been on the Boulder,,, I'd sure like to take him down there and show him the trails I've been on. It sure is great horse riding country.
A lot of elk, deer and a few bear.

mustang said:
gcreekrch said:

The highest part of the Boulder is 10,000 ft. But we were not up there. I checked on Delorem Map Program. I found out how to spell McGath Lake. It was listed at 9,364 ft. and Dry Lake at 9,629. There are a lot of lakes on the Boulder. Many of them are up the hill form McGath.
H' told me he had been on the Boulder,,, I'd sure like to take him down there and show him the trails I've been on. (Maybe we could put blinders on him like those work horse bridles have) It sure is great horse riding country.
A lot of elk, deer and a few bear.

Stunning scenery. And doesn't look like many people are up there--or
are there when school gets out? What's the temperature during the
summer. Quakies don't get thier leaves til June? Is that because it's
pretty cool there?
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a refreshing place.

Faster horses said:
pretty cool there?

At the 9,000 ft elevation it is cold enough you want a jacked after the sun goes down. If I remember right, the 15th of June is when they can put cows on the Forest. Before that there isn't much grass for them to eat. Those afternoon showers make it necessary to keep a slicker handy, or you pay for your sins. There aren't many people on this end of the mountain, due to the lack of roads. I've chased cows up there for over 10 years and haven't seen very many people other than our group and a few other cow hustlers.

There are quite a few hunter during deer and elk season, but we had the cows off the mountain before the hunts start in October.

I have chased elk and turkeys all over that mountain not to mention the awesome brook trout fishing up there. The Boulder is a favorite of mine. :D Gcreek is right about all the water. Make's up here seem pretty dry, but then again, IT IS! :D I'd love to have ya show me the trails ya'll rode Mustang. We will have to go on a road trip. Or maybe a rode trip! :wink: :D

mustang said:
Faster horses said:
pretty cool there?

At the 9,000 ft elevation it is cold enough you want a jacked after the sun goes down. If I remember right, the 15th of June is when they can put cows on the Forest. Before that there isn't much grass for them to eat. Those afternoon showers make it necessary to keep a slicker handy, or you pay for your sins. There aren't many people on this end of the mountain, due to the lack of roads. I've chased cows up there for over 10 years and haven't seen very many people other than our group and a few other cow hustlers.

There are quite a few hunter during deer and elk season, but we had the cows off the mountain before the hunts start in October.

Sounds alot like the Big Horn Mountains west of Buffalo and Sheridan
Wyoming...except for the people part. Lots of roads and therefore,
lots of people up there nowdays.
Mr. FH says he was glad to have gotten to roam all over the Big
Horns before all the people showed up. :D His folks had a place at
the foot of the mountains, so he was close to them. We used to ride
horseback up there too. Some good memories.

What mountains are these again?

Faster horses said:
mustang said:
Faster horses said:
pretty cool there?

Sounds alot like the Big Horn Mountains west of Buffalo and Sheridan
Wyoming...except for the people part. Lots of roads and therefore,
lots of people up there nowdays.
Mr. FH says he was glad to have gotten to roam all over the Big
Horns before all the people showed up. :D His folks had a place at
the foot of the mountains, so he was close to them. We used to ride
horseback up there too. Some good memories.

What mountains are these again?

These pictures were taken on The Boulder Mountain, in south central Utah. A friend of mine that lives just down the street, is part owner of a ranch in the town of Boulder UT. He wasn't much on horses, so I volunteered to do his cow chasing and he drove the truck. We spent a lot of time on the mountain and below town, on the desert, depending on the time of year. A little further north is the Fish Lake Mtn. Equally as nice.

RoadTripLavabede_OvilleBoulderSevenMile28Sept2011053-1.jpg

Latest posts