• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High elevation pap tested bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
That time of the year again for buying bulls...wondering if any of you can recommend black angus bulls breeders that are run at high elevation and pap test? We run our cattle at 7700 feet and just go up. Trying to find private treaty instead of auction---less stress going private treaty! There are a few breeders here in WY that have true high elevation bulls but they run them at an auction. Any breeders in Colorado with good reputation cattle? I've looked online but thought you would have some better input :) Thanks in advance

Wyoming Wind said:
That time of the year again for buying bulls...wondering if any of you can recommend black angus bulls breeders that are run at high elevation and pap test? We run our cattle at 7700 feet and just go up. Trying to find private treaty instead of auction---less stress going private treaty! There are a few breeders here in WY that have true high elevation bulls but they run them at an auction. Any breeders in Colorado with good reputation cattle? I've looked online but thought you would have some better input :) Thanks in advance

http://www.tybar.com/history.html

http://www.westerncoloradoangus.org/events.html

Can't help saying it, Galloways have been proven to have high tolerance to brisket disease. Several breeders in Colorado and surrounding states have PAP tested their cattle for it and sell bulls to commercial cattlemen because their Galloways don't seem to be affected by it. Just a heads up.

Yardley Cattle Company in Beaver,Utah. They also have a website. Great people with great genetics in a solid cowherd. All PAP tested. They sell at their facility in Beaver in March.

Angus 62 said:
Tybar in Carbondale. They have done a lot with PAP testing for a long time.
We have bought bulls from them the past 2 years---very nice bulls but this year they are offering only about 25-30 bulls instead of a good 115 to pick from, we heard Mark who has been there for a long time isn't there anymore and the ranch is selling....reason why we are searching for other breeders. Great cattle the had/have. Half of our bulls we ran last summer were Tybar bulls.

I probably don't have to tell you this, but the higher they test them at the more accurate the pap score. So tybar and some of these others pap tested at 4000 to 5000 ft. Aren't accurate. But at least it's a test. And be sure the vet is trained by Tim Holt. Some vets will get 20 and lower pap scores which is not even close to getting it to the chamber of the heart. Jensen Angus, Lucky 7 Angus, Circle L Angus all have better bulls than Tybar in my opinion. My Tybar bulls didn't amount to much. Over fed. That's my 2 cents, and I run at 12000 feet in the summer.

Sorry I got rambling and didn't tell you of a good private treaty sale in Colorado. Gittleson Angus. A lot of Gary Parker's genetics and run pretty high. Another one is Coyote Creek Ranch. It's Coyote something, I might be wrong on that one but I looked at their bulls and they were nice. Both private treaty last time I checked.

Ho55 said:
Sorry I got rambling and didn't tell you of a good private treaty sale in Colorado. Gittleson Angus. A lot of Gary Parker's genetics and run pretty high. Another one is Coyote Creek Ranch. It's Coyote something, I might be wrong on that one but I looked at their bulls and they were nice. Both private treaty last time I checked.
I'll check Gittleson Angus out...we're waiting for a return call back from Coyote Creek Ranch ;-) Yeah, we won't buy a bull unless they pap under 40...and if we could afford the test we pap test our bred yearlings as well. Last I heard Dr Holt was charging $20/head. Pays off in the end Im sure---just hard to cough that dough up. Thanks for the info---we are going to hit the Jensen Angus sale, sale catalogs are in the mail. Would love to pick up one from them---we need 10 bulls this year and that's a lot of pressure at one auction!

Probably to late for you, but Strang Herefords also have a purebred herd of Angus cows. I bought a Hereford bull to put on my angus cows from them. They have good angus bulls good pap scores. Their sale is in October, you may check them out next year. They are in the Meeker CO area. Best of luck to you in your bull search. I've had good luck with Paintrock bulls as well.

I think Herring Angus, Encampment, WY sells both private treaty bulls, and has an auction in late April. They develop them at home, and aren't ever taken below elevation. We've had good luck with their bulls in the past. You might give them a call to see what they have.

In regard to Parker genetics, I would be careful of too much milk. They are productive cattle, but we found them to be hard keepers for our country FWIW.

I would agree with Shamrock cattle being hard doers. I had to watch the milk when picking bulls from there. You may want to get a hold of Mike McGill as well. I don't know if he sells any bulls or not. But he always buys the top bull at a lot of these high elevation bull sales. I bought a few heifers from him and they were good cows.

Latest posts