• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

high heat = dead critters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
this weather has taken a toll on us . we lost a couple cows, but the feed lots are getting hammered. one neighbot buried 310 fats, and think half that many will give up in a day or two. another local lot has buried 450, and they are scrambling to keep the rest gong.

heat index is supposed to reach 115 today nd no wind !

winter is looking GOOD right about now

Boy, that's tough Jigs. Sorry about your cows.

Wonder why those feedlots in your area continue to put any appreciable number of cattle on feed to get fat in July/August? Seems like it gets hot and humid every single year down there. Even if it's not real bad like it is today, the feed efficiency and performance just goes in the tank this time of year in your country for those heavy cattle. Believe I'd have the pens cleaned out of any fats and maybe have some lighter cattle on feed to target for fall months. July/August is not an appealing market anyway, might as well just avoid the whole situation. There again, I'm not in their boots, so I digress...

Hope it cools off for you and it gets liveable again.

HP

WyomingRancher said:
That's awful :( . And here I thought 77 degrees was feeling toasty today. Hope you cool off soon!

We're at 92 right now during the noon hour- on our way to a hot, dry, breezy, 99 forecast...

Only hope is it brings in some thunderstorms and rain....

we always get hot, but this week of high humidity is rare.

one neighbor owned all the cattle in his lot. over $325,000 in a trench, and possibly more to come!

looks like Saturday we will get a break from the heat...

it has been hell laying irrigation pipe this week, this fat old fart almost blew a fuse!

Oldtimer said:
WyomingRancher said:
That's awful :( . And here I thought 77 degrees was feeling toasty today. Hope you cool off soon!

We're at 92 right now during the noon hour- on our way to a hot, dry, breezy, 99 forecast...

Only hope is it brings in some thunderstorms and rain....

:shock: Living at 8,000 feet does have some advantages, just wish I had more oxygen up here to go with the cooler temps :lol: . Hope you all cool down soon, if not, come on up for a visit :D .

Geez, if it isn't blizzards killing things, it's the heat :roll: . Hope the losses slow up soon.

+36 here today :( Just what we need more heat to dry the REST of the crops and haylands to completely die.}

Sad whats going on in your area Jigs....crazy year for us all it looks like.....darn Global warming.... :wink: :p

I thought it was a joke , and no, droughts are NOT FUNNY!!!
We have a drought here every other year--the odd years are
better than the even years. We were told that and that's exactly
the way it has been since we moved here in 1993.

1993????? Wow, 16 years ago!!!!!!!!

If this is an annual event, would it not be better to source cattle with a percentage of heat resistant breed that can cope with the heat, without compromising weight gains and feed conversion?

If these lots have preassure water systems they can string some small water lines on the ground outside the pens or on the fences up high so the cattle can't chew on them and then hook up a small sprayer tip about 15 feet in the air and about 15 feet apart,(three or four tips will take care of 200 head). All you need is a fine mist and any wind at all will carry it a long way into the pen. I have done this several different years, it does't take much water. I would turn them on about noon and shut them off in the evening. The cattle would stand under the mist about an hour and then head to the bunks then others would take their place in the mist. I know it saved many dead cattle for me plus they didn't go off feed on the hot days.

My neighbor admited that about 80% of the dead ones were black.....one more reason to run Herefords!

jigs said:
My neighbor admited that about 80% of the dead ones were black.....one more reason to run Herefords!

The herefords would be on grass yet trying to get big enough to go to the feedlot :wink:

Here ya go........this is the view out my kitchen window in the shade....about 3 pm today. I think it got even hotter later on.

2009-06-25-002.jpg

Latest posts