• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High moisture corn or Earlage?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

strawking

Reaction score
Has anyone ever fed these feeds? And which to you like better and for what reason? I will be feeding cows a high grain ration.

Feeding more than 5# of corn/day may lead to problems on down the road. It may pencil out now, but there's a good chance you could have a lot of opens. Opens don't pencil very well.

I'd get a nutritionalist to work up a ration for least cost of gain and see which is the most cost effective the earlage is kind of a total ration from what I've read but I don't know for sure.

My neighbor bought 1,000 open cows the end of November to feed. They are up to about 30 pounds of corn now. He hopes to have them fat in 100 days. Last week when it was warm we branded,wormed and implanted them. It was a lot of work but we got it done. The thing I couldn't believe is how big those Hereford cows were. Not trying to start another fight here but in general the Angus were the wildest, of course 95% are black, the Hereford were the biggest by far, probably 2 frame scores bigger.

We hauled a complete dispersion to Platte valley a couple months ago. We had to use the fire sticks a lot more than I would like. Poor girls, wasn't their fault, they had never been off the place let alone seen a pot. As butch said "only one of them that went down in the belly wasn't crossed with an elephant!" Took 6 people but we got them to town after I did some "cow surfing". I have been hearing this cow deal will be good this spring. Evidently your neighbor feels the same way big swede, that's a lot of cows.

For his sake I hope so. He got them bought at a decent price, about $975 a head. His order buyer did a good job for him, very few poor cows. He doesn't do anything half way.Always bigger better and faster. :lol:

I got a load last week just to run out on stalks. Opens cost me 80 cents and breds cost 92 cents, mostly broken on the breds.

I used to feed cannery waste (Packaging Screenings) to open cows. I could get them fat in 40-45 days. Thin bulls made me money in the same program

Latest posts