• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HILL COUNTRY PEACHES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Had a lil time to pick some peaches today,I tell you there aint nothing better than pulling peaches off the tree and eating em fresh,and went down on the creek bottoms,pecan crop is touch and go ,no rain,but its mighty nice to grow fresh fruit and vegetables,you got some on your place?........................good luck PS no orchards just a few trees for the house.

We do well with berries of various types. The squirrels get the pears so they are a loss and haven't planted peaches for the same reason. Nothing beats a ripe peach. Enjoy, Haymaker :!: Do you do some pies?

Oh Man!!! haymaker I want some peaches to put up. Usually we make a trip thru Fredericksburg along about the time peaches is in...but not this year. I am all out of what I put up last year. Yer makin my mouth water!!!!

Its A mango tree that does it for us, we kep the water up to it for about 4 months & get mangos up to a kilo. I have 2 kids a boy 2 & a girl 5 & they get pretty messy at times when the fruit starts to ripen , great stuff.

Tully

nr said:
We do well with berries of various types. The squirrels get the pears so they are a loss and haven't planted peaches for the same reason. Nothing beats a ripe peach. Enjoy, Haymaker :!: Do you do some pies?

NO I never lear'nt how to cook,much less bake a pie,I had a bunch of hunters a few years back that could tho,there was this one that came,he would'nt even hunt stayed in camp cooking,every time I would visit their camp site he was either feeding me or trying to get me drunk :D :D :D ...................good luck girl

Tully said:
Its A mango tree that does it for us, we kep the water up to it for about 4 months & get mangos up to a kilo. I have 2 kids a boy 2 & a girl 5 & they get pretty messy at times when the fruit starts to ripen , great stuff.

Tully
We can't raise them here of course but mangos are a wonderful treat.
Do you dry the extras? They look like leather but are better than most any other dried fruit to my taste!
Twice Lucky guy, Tully: mangoes and boots that fit :D

G'DAY NR, We sometimes dry them but as the weather heats up & they ripen real quick we just extract all the flesh & mix it with lemon juice & sugar syrup then we freeze it in big jars, the kids love it on their cereal of a morning or with yoghurt for desert. Fruit you grow yourself is one of the simple yet enjoyable things that enrich our lives, great stuff.(boots that fit are ok too)

regards
Tully
(well shod ,well fed & happy)

Tully said:
G'DAY NR, We sometimes dry them but as the weather heats up & they ripen real quick we just extract all the flesh & mix it with lemon juice & sugar syrup then we freeze it in big jars, the kids love it on their cereal of a morning or with yoghurt for desert. Fruit you grow yourself is one of the simple yet enjoyable things that enrich our lives, great stuff.(boots that fit are ok too)

regards
Tully
(well shod ,well fed & happy)

Is that put on hot cereal or cold? Never heard of that before but sounds yummy.

Haymaker....boy, I sure do LOOOOVE peaches!!! (hint...hint) :wink:

Nothing better than fresh peaches with cream.....reminds me of when i was a little girl and the dad and i would have peaches and cream while watching "professional wrestling" on t.v.....not much else to do in portland oregon on a friday night!!! :wink: :wink:
AHHHHH.... memories!! :D

You can't buy a good peach any more. The bugs got mine this year so none for me. I wish I could find one of those good old peachs that when you take a bite the juice runs down your arm and drips off your elbow.

IMG_1959.jpg

All that talk about peaches and mangoes, had to show some of our berries from a few weeks ago. Thank goodness we finally have some bigger tomatoes in! They take forever. Tried to make the plate look real artistic short of spraying it with water droplets :D !

Hot ,cold ,either or, my wife also makes mango ice cream sometimes now that is something special.
A few years while we were visiting my parents we stopped at a roadside stall where an orchardist was selling nectarines, they were huge... a real handfull & juicy & sweet, he told me he was pulling those trees out because the fruit was too big to sell by weight none of the supermarkets would touch them ,not enough pieces to the kilo(about3) so they were unviable!!!
The world has gone mad when you see situations like that.
Tully

ranchwife said:
Haymaker....boy, I sure do LOOOOVE peaches!!! (hint...hint) :wink:

Nothing better than fresh peaches with cream.....reminds me of when i was a little girl and the dad and i would have peaches and cream while watching "professional wrestling" on t.v.....not much else to do in portland oregon on a friday night!!! :wink: :wink:
AHHHHH.... memories!! :D

ranchwife,as soft as these things are by the time I got them to you they would'nt be worth much.I will have to send you some pecans this fall..................good luck

We get peaches from Washington and they are good, BUT:

My family is from Missouri and for some reason there aren't any peaches quite as good as a southern peach. :wink:

Those Washington peaches don't really run down your elbow as Haymaker mentioned. The best ones from Washington are the Red Havens. They have a red center and they don't turn brown after being sliced. So I have learned to always get Red Havens. They are available about right now and not for very long.

Latest posts