• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

History 101

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Oldtimers quote from below.
There have been politics and border issues a lot longer than you are old- goes back to the days the Queen mother let Sitting Bull take refuge from US troops after the Custer battle- and all those Canadian horse thieves that hid in your back yard....

You are right Oldtimer, Cattle were crossing the border back then too so I guess that makes us a real intregrated industry doesn't it, dating back to the outlaw days.
First of all it was the Battle of the Little Big Horn not the Custer battle and just maybe the Queen Mother was playing the peace keeper then too and by letting Sitting Bull take up refuge in Canada it give him time to cool down, so he would not take the lives of any more US troops. It was a North West Mounted Police officer and a few citizens of Canada that talked him into peacefully returning to the US with his tribe or didn't your history book include that. And according to research the so called CANADIAN OUTLAWS that lived in my back yard, most of them were from the US and came to Canada after they broke the laws down there. Dutch Henry was a GERMAN that came to the MONTANA in 1888 and then to Canada and was shot by the Canadian authories for his troubles. Some were shot and killed here in Canada and some moved back to the US to live out their lives. One of the most notorious was Sam Kelley and he turn himself over to US authorities and they couldn't prove anything in a court of law so his name was cleared even though he was the one that everyone feared. Maybe a relative of Edwards was the prosecutor. :wink: I do remember some did come from the Glasgow area, saloon keepers gone bad if I remember right. Sound like any relatives of your Oldtimer ? :wink: . Haymaker told me to look at what is in front of me and forget yesterdays news. I suggest you forget news from over 100 years ago and concentrate on the last decade at least and how you are going to live down the comments of your beloved R-CALF now that BSE has proven just how much our systems are alike. :roll:

Tam said:
Oldtimers quote from below.
There have been politics and border issues a lot longer than you are old- goes back to the days the Queen mother let Sitting Bull take refuge from US troops after the Custer battle- and all those Canadian horse thieves that hid in your back yard....

You are right Oldtimer, Cattle were crossing the border back then too so I guess that makes us a real intregrated industry doesn't it, dating back to the outlaw days.
First of all it was the Battle of the Little Big Horn not the Custer battle and just maybe the Queen Mother was playing the peace keeper then too and by letting Sitting Bull take up refuge in Canada it give him time to cool down, so he would not take the lives of any more US troops. It was a North West Mounted Police officer and a few citizens of Canada that talked him into peacefully returning to the US with his tribe or didn't your history book include that. And according to research the so called CANADIAN OUTLAWS that lived in my back yard, most of them were from the US and came to Canada after they broke the laws down there. Dutch Henry was a GERMAN that came to the MONTANA in 1888 and then to Canada and was shot by the Canadian authories for his troubles. Some were shot and killed here in Canada and some moved back to the US to live out their lives. One of the most notorious was Sam Kelley and he turn himself over to US authorities and they couldn't prove anything in a court of law so his name was cleared even though he was the one that everyone feared. Maybe a relative of Edwards was the prosecutor. :wink: I do remember some did come from the Glasgow area, saloon keepers gone bad if I remember right. Sound like any relatives of your Oldtimer ? :wink: . Haymaker told me to look at what is in front of me and forget yesterdays news. I suggest you forget news from over 100 years ago and concentrate on the last decade at least and how you are going to live down the comments of your beloved R-CALF now that BSE has proven just how much our systems are alike. :roll:

The only one mentioned I'm related to was old Custer himself- a true bullheaded German :lol: .....Also left out of the history books is that many in the US wanted to invade Canada when Queen Mother gave Sitting Bull refuge, to revenge what they felt was a massacre...But Grant thought that if Canada wanted the problem they could keep him-- kind of like what we do now with our bleeding heart liberals, gays, and draft dodgers-- but then, like now, they always come back :wink: :lol: Like I said things never change- border differences then (long before R-CALF I believe) and border differences now.........

Latest posts