• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hobbies, somethin I made for my best friend.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
My best friend is now an over the road truck driver after working years as a cowboy in idaho. This lil cabin is "his most favorite spot on earth" so I thought I'd make a quilt so that no matter where he goes he can have a lil of it with him all the time. I'm including a picture of the cabin in the mountains of idaho...then a picture of the quilt I made, it's all out of old blue jeans.

cow-camp.jpg

shoes-quilt-for-web.jpg

I myself want the lil cabin in Idaho, it belongs to the cattleman's association and is on nat'l forest land, leased for 99 years which the lease will be up in a matter of a year or two..at which time the gov't sends rangers and they burn 'em down. So sad to see a piece of american history gone..up in smoke like that. On our trip up there he showed me 3 other places like this that had been burnt. Enuff to make ya just wanna cry. The window facings and door facings have writings all over them of cowboys that have worked and lived there from the very beginning. some stories pertainin to weather, some poems, a biscuit recipe...some of them measuring their kids growth..just a neat neat old place. No electricity or runnin water, just a wood stove and a lil creek runnin in front of the cabin.

Lilley,
have to call you that, the other place is the Jersey, what they are doing is standard practice with the Forest Service. Since the enception of the enviros, no place should show the mark of man. You remember, I grew up not far from this cabin and I have spent many nights in ones similar that have since been burnt down because the enviros don't want any sign that man has been here before. These places are corridors for endangered species to move freely so they can encompass their old ranges and breed without inbreeding. Thank your DEMOCRATS for all of this BS, Bill Clinton just helped them along their path of the "Wildlands Project". You better look up your area and see if you are included in the "special places that can have human interaction but no human inhabitation or if you are inthe area of no human contact". The recent ruling by the courts on imminent domain is just what these people hoped for, they can now take ranches, whatever from anyone for whatever reason. The ranch that I was raised on can't afford to run cows because Bruce Babbits wolves eat all of the profits and they are burning down cabins all of the time while the locals scream and yell and the politicians continue counting their votes. You struck a chord with me, hope it gets to others also.

Great quilt idea, Lily. That's all appliqued on top I guess? Must have been hard getting that needle thru jeans material. That is such a shame to tear down a little cabin that can't be hurting anyone.
:mad: It reminded me of the following article written by a woman who lost her house and garden and the lengths she went to to recreate home:
"Twenty two years ago, my husband and I bought a small rambler on a little more than an acre. The front yard went from just a lawn to a glorious garden with beautiful flowering beds, a cactus garden and a beautiful pond and stone patio beneath a large oak. Many of our best times were shared in this garden with family and friends. It was where we went to relax, to listen to the birds, to enjoy the dogs, the children, our lives together
"Time marches forward, though... [With] increasing development in northern Virginia, our house and neighborhood were slated for demolition and redevelopment. Where once stood 27 homes on a little more than 30 acres [there would be] hundreds of apartments and townhomes. All that we had tended so lovingly and all that our neighbors had cherished were to be reduced to a flat building plat with the work of a few bulldozers. It was a very emotional time for us all.

In the interest of preserving all that I could, we set about finding a piece of property that would be secure from the threat of development and began moving everything. We moved almost our entire yard and gathered plants from [all] 26 neighbors. The trees that were too large to move, we had cut down and I took them to the saw mill. They now await a woodworker to turn them into a grandfather clock for my husband and perhaps some silverware chests for our children, maybe even a cradle or two.

As I look out my window now, I can see the blue spruce that my oldest son had his first-day-of-school picture taken by 19 years ago. I can walk about my yard and recall the neighbors even though we all relocated in different areas. Moving the garden was a huge task but I am so happy that I did everything I could to preserve the neighborhood in my new home. We had lived there for almost 20 years and we wanted to have the garden we had worked so hard come with us.

Over 90 percent of the plants we moved survived; from astilbe to viburnum, our plants flourish in our new location, and a walk around our yard reminds us of all our friends."

--Evelyn A. Carr

I pieced the cabin first..then applied it to the surrounding "sky" and "ground" but it's not double layers under the cabin....took 15 pairs of jeans or so to do it all....machine quilted it...no way would my fingers stand hand quiltin denim lol

Holy Crap...What a great job. First the bathroom decor and now this blanket... sheesh. If you ever come down to Manitoba could you stop by and help me with some decorating... :D

hmmm down to manitoba....if I ever git that direction I'd be glad to....but that's a long haul from texas and thanks...I love doin that kinda stuff but only if I"m not rushed...cuz once I start...nearly the whole house either starves or goes nekid cuz I"m workin on somethin ....lol

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
hmmm down to manitoba....if I ever git that direction I'd be glad to....but that's a long haul from texas and thanks...I love doin that kinda stuff but only if I"m not rushed...cuz once I start...nearly the whole house either starves or goes nekid cuz I"m workin on somethin ....lol

That seems to be the norm in homes with a creative person. Our son-in-law sort of grinds his teeth whenever his creative wife begins a new "Project". Although he has learned to take the kids out to give her a chunk of uninterrupted time to make the project go away faster. She has done curtains and drapes, roman shades and reupholstery; flooring; tiling; painting; some interesting carpentry and refinishing old pieces. He doesn't know what a bargain he got for a wife!

I made some jewelry out of Grandma's antique salt and pepper shaker that corroded which turned out pretty well. If I can find the camera (sounding like Faster Horses now! :wink: ) will post a picture.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Camera under the bed? hehehe
That's one place in the house I KNOW it won't be! The problem is carrying something in each hand: the meat in one hand goes in the trashcan and the junk mail ends up in the freezer!

Reader,
It's big enuff to go on a king size bed but with very little hang over, would be better suited to a queen size. I'm thinkin of makin another one only this time instead of usin the denim thought about goin to the second hand store and buying men's colored slacks. not the double knit ones..but more in the lines of dockers....then use the different colors to match the parts of the cabin and surrounding scenery. Winters comin I'm gonna need a new project. LOL

IMG_2148.jpg

These are what I call "blang blang" :D . The necklace and earrings I made out of my grandmother's ( or great-grandmother's) corroded silver salt shaker. Salt was left in it and it ate holes clear through. Our daughter wants some made a little smaller which she'll have IF I can find the pepper shaker. (And it isn't under our bed either just in case you were wondering!)

Oh those are cute.....who'da thunk to make earrings outta salt n pepper shakers..... you do realize your forcing me now to go lookin on ebay for silver salt n pepper shakers???? hehehe

Jersey Lilly----what a beautiful quilt----folks like you (you know, folks with TALENT!!) make me GREEN with envy :mrgreen:
SW----you get 'em, boy!!!!! :wink: :wink: Just how long are folks gonna put up with the "enviros" telling US (the majority, by the way) what to do and how to do it??? :???: :???:

I dunno ranchwife..it may not be talent as much as it is shear determination to make somethin once I git a "bright idea" lol
Like a dog with a bone.....snarlin n growlin the whole time...no wonder the house leaves me alone till it's done. haha

Demin quilts are really warm but sometimes you can go through the needles really fast as well. I know because I do alot of sewing and make quilts too. When I have to mend hubby's jeans, they are such a pain in the arse.I tend to go through alot of needles. size 18. :wink: :wink: :wink: :!:

I dont usually have a problem breakin needles on the sewin machine when sewin denim. Long as I stay off the side seams of the jeans. I buy the needles that specifically say, for denim on the package. With my quilts tho I cut all the seams out of the jeans so I dont have those big thick chunks to try to go over.

As for patching jeans, I don't have a chance to patch them anymore....soon as they have a big enuff hole in em....either he cuts them off for shorts, or they get thrown into my quiltin supply of wranglers.

Latest posts