• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Home Protection

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have to admit I would most likely pack if we could in Canada. Shooting gophers from the tractor is inconvenient with a long rifle given the limited space. As far as intruders go we have to use long guns but if we follow the two lock law it wouldn't even get to be used as a club. So surprise, quickness and a ball bat are more than likely what you would meet at my house. Not to mention a very large dog. Here's to hoping that all of this protection is never really needed and is only required for recreation.

I don't feel a need to Brag "IF" I had Loaded Weapons around the house
(Don't Know Who's Reading this Site)
I'll just say,
My Dogs are the First Strike,
Few Intruders Have Gotten to My 2nd Strike,
Never has to use MY 3rd Strike

Don't thinks of myself as BAD
But
Even at 70+
I get the RESPECT of OTHERS

On me at almost all times (not while I'm in the lab at work) I have a KelTec P32, tiny little things. Locked and loaded, fits in your pocket.

By my bed or sometimes in the holster, I have a HK USP .40, has a tactical light on it when it's by the bed. Mag in, no round in the chamber.

There is a 12 gauge down stairs for varmints, mag is loaded, no round in the chamber.

Also an AR-15 with a 30 rd mag in the well, none in the chamber. Spare 30 rd mag in the buttstock mag pouch. 6 more in my vest, plus I have a ACH helmet and a vest with E-SAPI plates. The vest will stop .44 mag, the plates will stop a .308. Helmet will stop .44 mag as well.

Ben H said:
Locked and loaded, fits in your pocket.

Your statement remind of a sad happening here no too long ago. A wonderful young man, young father and dependable local worker came home one afternoon.

Just a regular afternoon in the summertime. He worked @ the local hardware store so when he got home he went in took off his jeans and had planned to change into some shorts.

As he took off his jeans and tossed them onto the floor.....the small pistol, some type of 32 cal, hit the floor 'just right', fired and he was dead before he hit the floor.

BE CAREFUL..no matter who you are...with carrying small guns in pockets.

you keep loaded guns laying around your house you are a damned fool. Just know that if your gun is ever fired that there is about a 99.9% chance that it will kill you or one of your family and about a .01% chance that it will kill an intruder.

Hogwash "Criminologists have found that citizens use firearms as often as 2.5 million times every year in self-defense. " referenced by Kleck and Gertz, "Armed Resistance to Crime" Now take into consideration that no shots are fired 90% of the time. So ten percent they are. which comes to 250,000 shots times your 99.9% comes to 249,750 deaths due to firearms accidently shooting the unintended target No, it doesn't wash

Have a 9mm and a 357 in the bedroom. The kids bedroom is on a different floor and quite a ways away, so he's got a dog and a hidden gun cabinet in his room.....in sort of a two-stage closet, for lack of a better word.

kolanuraven said:
Ben H said:

Your statement remind of a sad happening here no too long ago. A wonderful young man, young father and dependable local worker came home one afternoon.

Just a regular afternoon in the summertime. He worked @ the local hardware store so when he got home he went in took off his jeans and had planned to change into some shorts.

As he took off his jeans and tossed them onto the floor.....the small pistol, some type of 32 cal, hit the floor 'just right', fired and he was dead before he hit the floor.

Thanks for the warning. Actually, the guy (a gunshop owner who carries one) who motivated me to buy the KelTec said this caliber has more defensive kills then any other. It's just easier to keep on you at all times.

I have a holster the thing slips into, then that slips into the pocket. Also bought a ankle holster. I've been keeping it in my jacket pocket most of the time. The thing with this particular model is that it has an in internal safety that only disarms when you start to pull the trigger back. You can drop it right on the back of the things and it will not go off. You have to deliberately pull the trigger back to fire it, it's double action only. PUlling the trigger starts to pull the hammer back and unlocks the internal safety, then allows the hammer to fall. Therefore, the trigger is the only safety.
p32_02.jpg

p32_03.jpg

Ben H said:
kolanuraven said:
Ben H said:

Thanks for the warning. Actually, the guy (a gunshop owner who carries one) who motivated me to buy the KelTec said this caliber has more defensive kills then any other. It's just easier to keep on you at all times.

I have a holster the thing slips into, then that slips into the pocket. Also bought a ankle holster. I've been keeping it in my jacket pocket most of the time. The thing with this particular model is that it has an in internal safety that only disarms when you start to pull the trigger back. You can drop it right on the back of the things and it will not go off. You have to deliberately pull the trigger back to fire it, it's double action only. PUlling the trigger starts to pull the hammer back and unlocks the internal safety, then allows the hammer to fall. Therefore, the trigger is the only safety.
p32_02.jpg

p32_03.jpg

Still BE MINDFUL....you don't want to be the guy that somehow,unwittingly, got the factory defect gun!!!!! Ankle holster is good idea.

I have had one of the Taurus versions of this Kel-Tec before. I liked it except for the trigger pull was terrible.

Not real familiar with Kel-tec but was thinking they are pretty cheap guns, that is only thing that would concern me about the one above. But do love the HK choice, the USP is on my wish list!

Oldtimer said:
The only thing I want more than a Judge is one of the old .45 ACP military revolvers with the half moon clips--which if I had one I'd get it cut down to a 2 or 3 inch barrel- and just throw a few loaded half moon clips in my pocket to make it the perfect concealed power packing, quick loading revolver...

If you really want one, there's a NICE Lew Horton on Gunbroker right now. It's kinda pricey, but if you're serious about wanting one, it's really not all that bad. Especially when you consider that it's already customized and ready to go:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121310452

Or if you're like me and prefer something shiny, this three inch nickel is pretty nice and not a bad buy:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121239173

Or an older one for a lot less money:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121361231

Texan said:
Oldtimer said:
The only thing I want more than a Judge is one of the old .45 ACP military revolvers with the half moon clips--which if I had one I'd get it cut down to a 2 or 3 inch barrel- and just throw a few loaded half moon clips in my pocket to make it the perfect concealed power packing, quick loading revolver...

If you really want one, there's a NICE Lew Horton on Gunbroker right now. It's kinda pricey, but if you're serious about wanting one, it's really not all that bad. Especially when you consider that it's already customized and ready to go:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121310452

Or if you're like me and prefer something shiny, this three inch nickel is pretty nice and not a bad buy:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121239173

Or an older one for a lot less money:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121361231

Thanks--That first one is really nice-- to nice for my taste... And I won't own a nickel gun--shinyness can give you away too easy if your in a gunfight..
The last one is more closer to my price...
I have one located right here in town- and I'm working on the fella to sell it to me....Keeps saying he's putting it in his spring gun and antique auction- but I still think we'll come to a deal...And he has a whole sack of half moon and full moon clips that go with it....

aplusmnt said:
What all does everyone keep at first reach for home protection.
I wasn't gonna respond to this question since it seems like a few people on here were offended at the thought of some of us wanting to be armed. But I finally decided to heck with it. I keep at least one loaded gun in every room of the house. Except the bathroom - and as soon as I figure a good way to keep one dry in there I'll remedy that problem. :lol:

I keep a 9mm on my side of the bed and my wife has a 2" .38 on her side of the bed. I really think you'd be better off to stick to revolvers all the way around, though. There's just so much variation in how some of the bottom feeders work that could cause problems for your wife (or anybody that isn't used to it) if it was needed in a hurry. It's hard to beat the simplicity of a double-action revolver - they're always ready.

My wife has small hands and the J-frame Smiths really fit her good, so I bought her another .38 (in addition to the one by the bed) just to carry - a S&W 642. I liked it so good that I have pretty much taken it away from her when I want something to carry. You ought to try one out. Hammerless, light, decent trigger out of the box and really affordable. It will just disappear into a pocket and you won't even know you've got it.

And the +P ammo that they offer for the .38's now get you some decent firepower. A jacketed hollow point in +P is not something that I would want to get hit with. And the cheaper .38 ammo is affordable enough to practice with a lot.

The problem I have with some of the bigger bore stuff is that it is almost cost-prohibitive to shoot it now. I feel like shot placement is more important than how much lead I lob at them, and the .38 allows you to practice enough to put a double-tap almost anywhere you want it.

The High Road has some of the best handgun forums I've ever seen. That question you ask has been asked over and over on their forums. Here's a link to their handgun forums:

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Their revolver forum has a long-running thread going on the 642's. I think you'd really like one if you're looking for something that you can also slip in your pocket from time to time.

With all of that said, though, if you just want something for a nightstand and aren't gonna be carrying it, a four-inch .357 would be my choice. Practice with the cheap Winchester White Box .38's and load it with something more potent when you're not practicing.

For low cost practice, I think I'm going to get the .22 LR bolt carrier for the AR-15, there is one brand that uses a full size magazine so it feels like the normal ones.

Texan said:
aplusmnt said:
What all does everyone keep at first reach for home protection.
I keep at least one loaded gun in every room of the house. Except the bathroom - and as soon as I figure a good way to keep one dry in there I'll remedy that problem.
Maybe you need to practice aiming.....not the gun :lol: :twisted:

:lol2: That's not the problem, Calvin. I'm old enough that I have the exemption that allows me to sit down when I'm too tired - and that's ALL the time. :lol:

Texan said:
:lol2: That's not the problem, Calvin. I'm old enough that I have the exemption that allows me to sit down when I'm too tired - and that's ALL the time. :lol:

Actually It's little Calvin that's peeing on everything. :nod: :nod: :nod: :lol2:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Texan said:

Actually It's little Calvin that's peeing on everything. :nod: :nod: :nod: :lol2:
:lol: :lol: Kola's aim must be off, too. :p

Texan said:
[my wife has a 2" .38 on her side of the bed.

I already have performance issues as it is, the wife having a loaded gun on her side of the bed would really put pressure on me! :wink: :lol:

Latest posts