• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Home remedies for a "stubborn cold"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I have a bug, it seems like it was the flu since last Friday and I have a terrible cold right now and coughing a storm. Does anyone know of some effective over the counter medicine? I feel like I have purchased everything on the shelf, and nothing seems to be doing the trick. I really need to get rid of the coughing, otherwise I will be falling asleep on my soup bowl in the near future. I really have tons of work to do and being sick is really making it difficult to get it done.

If you know of any home remedy that could work, please share it.

Thanks in advance!
SB

I had been wondering about you, SB. But sorry, I don't
know of any home cure for a cold. It seems they last a couple
of weeks regardless of what you do. It's a nasty bug going
around and if you do too much too fast, it comes back, so
be careful.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

sweetbasil said:
Hi Friends,

I have a bug, it seems like it was the flu since last Friday and I have a terrible cold right now and coughing a storm. Does anyone know of some effective over the counter medicine? I feel like I have purchased everything on the shelf, and nothing seems to be doing the trick. I really need to get rid of the coughing, otherwise I will be falling asleep on my soup bowl in the near future. I really have tons of work to do and being sick is really making it difficult to get it done.

If you know of any home remedy that could work, please share it.

Thanks in advance!
SB

Cure for the common cold is as hard to find as ears on a earth worm, I always drink a quart of good whiskey when i start to feel pekid, have'nt had a cold in many years.
good luck

PS Try it you might take to it pretty good :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Cure for the common cold is as hard to find as ears on a earth worm, I always drink a quart of good whiskey when i start to feel pekid, have'nt had a cold in many years.
good luck

PS Try it you might take to it pretty good :wink:

Thats how I've been treating my cold, damn good Canadian rye whiskey does magic.

my ex would tell you "pickle juice...straight outta the jar", but this nurse would not exactly "recommend" that one....instead i will tell you to get some zicam lozenges, drink enough water to refloat the titanic, get lots and lots of rest, take a few hot showers or (better yet) a few hot baths (let the steam work on ya for awhile), hot tea with lemon and honey and CHICKEN SOUP really does work!! you need rest, too, kiddo or it will just wear you down more!! take care and keep us posted!!!

boil up some ginger root for a while and drink the tea with lots'a honey.
Don't know if it will help your cough but it sure clears up a stuffy head.

Hi Everyone,
I sure miss all of you!!! Here is the deal, I have "an acute sinus infection" I have been sick with cold like symptoms since las Saturday, and took every drug on the shelf for it. The coughing kept getting aggressive and keeping me from getting any sleep. I went to see my doctor yesterday, and was told about this infection and how the coughing is associated with it. I got some antibiotics for the infection and the coughing. I took them yesterday afternoon, and was awaken again at night by the coughing.

Thank God I was able to get some sleep here and there early this morning as the coughing seems to be coming in intervals now which allows me the opportunity to take "cat naps". Right now, I feel exhausted due to the lack of sleep from the past three nights. I have so much to do to meet my last class' deadlines and being sick is not really helping.

P.S. I have tried honey with some other things. I love honey so it is always a treat to use it with home remedies. I wish I could handle whiskey, but I don't drink. The only thing that I have once in a while is sweet wine but it only takes half-glass to make feel "tipsy". LOL...

Right now I need a hot shower to get rid of the layers of Vicks and get "dress up" so it will help me feel (or look) a little better... As they say, put on a little lipstick and things will be OK...

Thanks everyone for caring and taking the time to shared some wisdom with me.

Maybe some hydrogen peroxide in the ears?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/22/the-common-cold-simple-strategies-for-prevention-and-treatment.aspx

I've had a cough for over a month and a half now that I can't get rid of.

Jigger Boss said:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/22/the-common-cold-simple-strategies-for-prevention-and-treatment.aspx

Your not taking High blood pressure pills are you?

Last summer I coughed continuously thinking it was from the tractor AC or hay dust. Faster Horses mentioned that her BP pills made her cough so I checked with my Doctor and sure enough that was a side effect and changed my pills. IT is sure nice to get a nights sleep again. :D

Jigger Boss said:

Thanks, I'll read this article. The Dr. checks the ears and said it was fine.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Jigger Boss said:

Last summer I coughed continuously thinking it was from the tractor AC or hay dust. Faster Horses mentioned that her BP pills made her cough so I checked with my Doctor and sure enough that was a side effect and changed my pills. IT is sure nice to get a nights sleep again. :D

No, I don't take any pills, other than vitamins in hopes of growing an inch taller LOL.
The coughing was so aggressive last night that I couldn't sleep. I am grateful that is not the dried cough anymore, the antibiotics are working slowly but the coughing is still strong at night. I might have to sleep standing I guess!

Jigger Boss said:

Seems to be a real problem this winter (such as it was!)

We had it sticking around our house all winter and just can't throw off that cough. Lots more had the same kind of cold it seems. Seems to be worst when trying to carry on a conversation so I just stay my usual quiet self . . . :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Jigger Boss said:

Last summer I coughed continuously thinking it was from the tractor AC or hay dust. Faster Horses mentioned that her BP pills made her cough so I checked with my Doctor and sure enough that was a side effect and
changed my pills. IT is sure nice to get a nights sleep again. :D

I'm not taking any meds of any kind. I had this cough last year for a few months. The Dr. gave me some pills and it cleared up about 2 weeks later after taking the pills. The cough stayed away until a little over a month ago.

sweetbasil said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Jigger Boss said:

No, I don't take any pills, other than vitamins in hopes of growing an inch taller LOL.
The coughing was so aggressive last night that I couldn't sleep. I am grateful that is not the dried cough anymore, the antibiotics are working slowly but the coughing is still strong at night. I might have to sleep standing I guess!

I think I would go back to the doc and let him know the coughin is deprivin you of sleep which will weaken your imune system makin it harder to shake that stuff.
I know they got some good stuff for coughin, one time a damned rat run up my horses leg and got under his tail, when the dust had cleared I had the wind knocked outa me and 3 broke ribs, caught a cold and cough at the ER which did'nt do a dam thing about my ribs, and you talk about pain, that coughin with broke ribs is rough.
i called them quacks and they got me some cough syrup with codiene.
good luck

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll will be in touch with my doctor. She has been very sharp in the past in helping me overcome some things... I think the cough antibiotics have codeine, but will check in with her to find out for sure.

Hope you are having a great weekend.
SB

Hi Friends,
I am just checking in to thank all of you for all of the "get well" wishes. I am back full force, and glad to have my health back.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful April.

Faster horses said:
Glad to have you back, SB and so glad to hear you are feeling better.
You must have had a long siege of it...what did the doctor think it
was?

Hi "Fasters Horses,"

Thanks for the you wishes. I had a good case of a sinus infection, the doctor is as tight as onion skin when it comes to giving me medicine, so only gave me antibiotics for the infection and coughing for five days. I used over the counter medicine to finish clearing the cough. Right now, I am heading to the kitchen to do some baking... don't know what I am going to make yet, but I am sure it will be good.

Hope all is well in your little corner of the world :)

Latest posts