• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Home School or Public School

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OD/NT

Reaction score
Schooling
At one time I thought about going the Home Schooling route with V_Key. As an only child and a livestock person I've learned to just sit back and watch how the animals (People) Socialize with other animals (People).

To my observation most Home Schooled Students tended to show a higher degree of knowledge but a lower degree of socialization. Another thing I noted was that Home School Students tended to be the Mental Clones of their parents (Teachers) and I felt that was a big Down Side. Yes! I know what you all think But I Am Not Mental Perfection. I'm just good at Pulling Wool…

I have gone through a couple Apprenticeships where I was Forced to work with many other Tradesmen all to my benefit. Each Tradesman had his own way of doing the same things so I didn't JUST Learn ONE Way (the Right way) I Learned Many Right Ways that all worked.

A good friend of mine (a Farmer) has one way of doing things – His Way (His Fathers Way) his brothers that took outside jobs and have worked others know there are manys way to look at projects.

For these reasons and more I choose Public Schools and plus My Forum of additional Home Schooling.

If it hadn't been for Public School I might not have found out that V_Key had Learning Difficulties. I forced the school district to spend the money they are allotted by the state to get her the help she was entitled to.

On my own I did a Web Search and found FREE help for me and her ? http://www.schwablearning.org/ and other sights Dyslexia ? http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Dyslexia&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Animals, 4-H, FFA and Ag Classes have been invaluable as a positive to V_Key's Public School Education, Socializing and our Father-Daughter relationship.

Well, my siblings and I were homeschooled, and I have no problem in my socialization. Of course, not all day was spent at home. Friends and us would meet up at mutual places or in each other's homes for some classes. I am glad I was taught this way.

I personally dont think I could handle the task of homeschooling. I had 4 kids in 4 years, and by the time they all got to be school age I really needed the break from them during the day. I also had one with ADHD and the school was able to get him the help he needed to stay focused and get tasks accompolished. Yes..it did take work on both me as a parent, and the school, but I feel my kids were better off attending public school rather than staying home with me all day.

I am not a component for homeschooling. I have considered it with our youngest son...... But he needs special services too. Plus our personalities clash....I'm rigid, highly competitive, and a high achiever. Our son is a social butterfly, doesn't know a stranger and loves to talk and laugh.... I feel like when I go to parent teachers conferances I feel like an idiot and do not have the skills needed. My worst fears is that my youngest do to his learning disablities will not be able to make it in the world.... But I keep plugging away. Parents have to take a very active role in their kids education, even get into the faces of some of the teachers and administration.........

As an ex HS teacher I'm against homeschooling. The social contact is WAY too important. Yeah it's hard and tough on kids at times but it teaches them how to related to different people in different situations @ the school level.

Those situations will only grow in scale once they are out into ' the world'.

Besides sooooo many un qualified people are allowed to teach at home----and at school also!!!!.

If I had tried homeschooling our very headstrong daughter, I think there would have been bloodshed.

Her dad, on the other hand, could teach her anything. Maybe because
she considered what he did as more interesting and she thought he was just a lot more fun. So consequently she can run any piece of machinery, fix fence, ride and rope with the best of them and knows cattle.

And she's a pretty good cook now, though she hated it at one time.

There's alot of homeschooled kids in our area-if the parents approach it as the best for their kids and work hard at it-as hard as most teacher's work at least-trust me they put in the hours-it works pretty good. If they approach it because they have a bone to pick with the school board or they didn't like public school it's doesn't work so well. I've coached a few home schooled kids for some it's quite an eye opener- It's like most things-it works for some but not so good for others.

I may be asking to get a throuncing here, but I don't think public school is for everyone. Our son, Al, attended school until he was almost out of third grade, and until he got in third, he was happy as a lark. That last year, though, he had a very abusive teacher, and she took out the fact that her husband was an old boyfriend of mine, out on him. He didn't really learn anything that year, either. They mostly did "projects" like building little long houses and stuff like that.

When it got to where I couldn't bear to make him get on the bus, crying every morning, we knew something had to change. I'd be up with him most of the night, every school night, with the nebulizer going, because he was so tense that his asthma could kick in.

Since we took him out of school, and started homeschooling him, he's blossomed, become so much more confident and is a better student, because he doesn't have all the stress and crap to put up with. He's been taking a high school correspondence course, started less than two years ago, and he's almost finished with 11th grade. He's been named to Who's Who Among American High School Students, and also to The American Society of High School Scholars. School is no longer a fight every morning, because he knows when he's finished his day's lessons, the rest of the time is his, to go riding, work on his 4-H projects, help his grandpa with the cattle, etc.

And, he doesn't have a hard time with socialization at all. He's not overly social, but then he never was. He's got friends in town that he goes to see regularly, and they're all in 4-H together. For a while, he was also in Boy Scouts, but it just cut into the things he really enjoyed doing, so dropped out of that.

There are just some instances, that homeschool is the only viable alternative.

Latest posts