• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HOME TOWNED ---PART II

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bull Burger

Reaction score
HOME TOWNED ---PART II

The fat lady has yet to sing and the border saga continues. The markets watch, wait and listen while traders respond to rumors, announcements and speculation. It is not a time for the faint of heart. Futures and cash prices have shown the ability to move $7-8 at the drop of a news bit. Traders and now betting the next move will be down.

The California appellate court agreed late last week to hear arguments to intervene in the Montana federal court injunction. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in California responded to an appeal by the National Meat Association in an attempt to protect its members, who slaughter cattle, from imminent economic collapse. The briefs will be filed and arguments heard by month end. The acceptance by the Ninth Circuit was viewed as an expression of support for the view that the Montana decision was prejudged and flawed in its analysis.

This action increases the likelihood of reversing the injunction to keep the border closed and increases the prospects of lower prices in April for fed and feeder cattle in this country. Canadian beef producers were not expecting the ruling by Judge Richard Cebull when he issued an injunction stopping the movement of cattle from Canada into the United States scheduled for March 7 and U.S producers did not expect this surprise last week from the Ninth Circuit.

USDA has yet join the appeal in support for the National Meat Association position. A quick action on the part of the appellate court could see the border open in a matter of weeks. In the meantime markets will react to changing legal events while the restoration of normal market forces will await the opening of the Asian markets.

President Bush chose to raise the issue with the Japanese Prime Minister who insisted his support for a quick resolution. He reminded the President of the need to rely on the science before acting rather than calling for a political response to a scientific question. There appear to be a lot of politicians on both sides of the Pacific ocean hiding behind the science label. Probably few people realize how little science is actually known and understood about BSE. One thing everyone understands is when a political position is underfire, hide behind the science argument.

Due process is not a single legal event. Each legal step is open to review and not until the U.S. Supreme Court speaks, does a decision become final. Legal experts have long recognized the importance of venue in legal skirmishes. Friendly judges often render opinions favorable to their friends. Our country guarantees litigants recourse against home towning in the nation's appellate courts. What we are witnessing is the system at work.

BB,
all that we can hope for is that Cebull is history. I would bet money that he has had dinner with Pat my buddy, how can you have 28 pages in 2 hours? Don't anyone of you think that this story was written before the hearing? Did we improve our standing with JAPAN, NORTH KOREA, or anybody else? How can you R-Calfers ignore the comments from Japan?
I was born at night but it was not last night. Canada will cost us 2-3$ per cwt, Asia will gain us back 7-8/cwt. Get a clue, read more than the BS Hat

sw said:
BB,
all that we can hope for is that Cebull is history. I would bet money that he has had dinner with Pat my buddy, how can you have 28 pages in 2 hours? Don't anyone of you think that this story was written before the hearing? Did we improve our standing with JAPAN, NORTH KOREA, or anybody else? How can you R-Calfers ignore the comments from Japan?
I was born at night but it was not last night. Canada will cost us 2-3$ per cwt, Asia will gain us back 7-8/cwt. Get a clue, read more than the BS Hat

sw- What will it cost us if we open the border wide and one of those Canadian slaughter cows tests positive at our US slaughter plant- or even one of those UTM ?- Last one was proven to be Canadian and cost US billions-- do you really think that Japan and all those Asian export markets won't slam the door again?....We haven't even got the door open- we should worry about that before worrying about bringing in Canadian beef or cattle.....

all that we can hope for is that Cebull is history. I would bet money that he has had dinner with Pat my buddy, how can you have 28 pages in 2 hours? Don't anyone of you think that this story was written before the hearing?

Briefs were filed with the court weeks, maybe months before the hearing. He knew each side argument well before the court date. The hearing was only a formality and very typical for Federal court. We shouldn't count our judical system out because the outcome didn't go the way we thought it should have.

Due process is not a single legal event. Each legal step is open to review and not until the U.S. Supreme Court speaks, does a decision become final. Legal experts have long recognized the importance of venue in legal skirmishes. Friendly judges often render opinions favorable to their friends. Our country guarantees litigants recourse against home towning in the nation's appellate courts. What we are witnessing is the system at work.[/quote]

Response...The tide is quickly changing Bull. As I previously said, "science will win out over R-Calf's science-fiction. The process is working as evidenced how quickly the Circuit Court acted on the NMA's request to be allowed intervenor status. Cebull is left with no choice, per the Circuit Courts ruling, but to hear the claim for intervenor status which he originally rejected. There is a new sheriff in town and his name is neither Cebull or Oldtimer. Have a great day. agman

OT: "What will it cost us if we open the border wide and one of those Canadian slaughter cows tests positive at our US slaughter plant- or even one of those UTM ?"

Not a damn thing because OTM cattle are not on the table, UTM cattle are.

Canada can test the OTM cattle.

Problem solved!

NEXT!!

~SH~

Mike said:

We shouldn't count our judical system out because the outcome didn't go the way we thought it should have.

REsposne...Truer words were never spoken. Facts will win out over R-Calf's fiction. Keep the faith. Have a great day.

Latest posts