• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hoop barns

Help Support Ranchers.net:

matt

Reaction score
we came onto this site and noticed that some of you were talking about hoop buildings and the pros and cons. We live in Mitchell and build/ sell Winkler Structures. We would like any feedback good or bad about our product or anyone elses. Also any concerns or "myths" you may have about hoop structures we may be able to answer.

Neil built my hoop barn. And so far I like it. It is warmer than a steel building and doesn't swet either. The only problem i have had is with the fabric doors.

depends. We are not in a real windy area, but we do have storms that come trough with very high winds. Two years ago we had a spring strom come thhrough with 80+mph winds it did bend a couple of the pipes in the fabric doors but no other damage to the building. I live in a trailer house and when I came home after the storm there were tree branches with about 4" diameter truncks stuck through the walls in about 3 places.

Faster horses said:
So how did you repair the sides where the branches went through?
What brand do you have?
The branches came through the side of my house so i used wood to patch the holes.
I have a winkler 42'by96'.

It is always good to hear positve customer feedback. I have worked with Neal for around five years. I did not help with your barn but have seen it several times while working in that area. What types of problems do you have with your fabric doors? You have the raising and lowering doors, right? Do they need to be adjusted? Sometimes the clamps will slip and cause your cables to catch or your door to lift off level. We have fixed this problem by using a crimp now instead of a clamp. This works much better than the cable clamps.

There's a few in our country-my neighbors put one up that caved in twice-so they put up a traditional building instead-I'm not sure what company they got theirs from. The better made ones seem to work fine-they sure ork good for raising hogs from what I've seen. One thing about them and cattle if you put portable penning in them you can always use them for other things.

matt said:
It is always good to hear positve customer feedback. I have worked with Neal for around five years. I did not help with your barn but have seen it several times while working in that area. What types of problems do you have with your fabric doors? You have the raising and lowering doors, right? Do they need to be adjusted? Sometimes the clamps will slip and cause your cables to catch or your door to lift off level. We have fixed this problem by using a crimp now instead of a clamp. This works much better than the cable clamps.
The north door was down in the bad wind storm because the cable jumped off the roller on top of the door and since it was down the wind bent the pipes slightly.

Are the hoop building structures you are talking about the covered with some sort of plastic tarp stuff? If so one of our friends put up an indoor arena and a strong wind ripped it off. However the company stood behind the product and the warantee and fixed it.

As a general rule the industry standard for most barns is 12 oz material. Almost all of the companys purchuse their tarp material from one of two companies, either Intertape Polymer or Fabrene. That is why almost all buildings have the same 15 year pro-rate warranty on the tarp for manufactures defects. In most cases when a tarp is properly tensioned on a Winkler truss barn a customer should expect to get 20 to 25 years out of their tarp. Replacement cost after that time is a fraction of what it would cost to resteel a pole barn roof. Most hail will bounce off of a polymer roof unless it is really big and jagged in which case it would also bang the heck out of a steel roof also. Winkler Canvas Structures is the only company that can say that we have never had a truss come down. Period. Most of that is due to the fact that our building has on average 30% more steel than the competion. Also our structure is enginered for wind and snow loads without the cover. Other companies rely on their cover as part of their structural integrity.

We are located in south central South Dakota. Mitchell, South Dakota. a town of around 15,000 people, pretty big for South Dakota. We are a couple of miles south of town in the country. Along with selling/building Winkler Structures we also put up around 600 acres of hay ground. Neal used to milk along with a little bit of grain farming. I grew up in northwest Iowa before coming to South Dakota. (Mostly for the fishing!!!) Over the years we have built buildings all over the United States and Canada. It has been a great way to meet alot of people and see some beutiful country. Last summer we actually flew into a fishing lodge 365 miles northeast of Winnipeg, MB to erect a building for the lodge. We flew because that was the only way to get there! No roads! Great fishing. We were also in Massachusets last fall building. Our plan is to build in all fifty states.

What would a ball park figure on about a 75X150 building to house loaders and other construction equipment in central Indiana be ???

I would like as traslucent as possible for light and I need a high area in the middle where I could raise the beds on Tri axle trucks for service

The building you are talking about would be a Winkler Tas Building measuring 72' wide by 150' long. A standard 12 oz. tarp and ten foot rafter spacing with cable bracing and high tension kit are recomended. Adding two ends and doors increases the costs also. As a general rule the basic structure is going to be anywhere from 7.00 to 9.00 dollars per square foot. This is a pretty crude and rough figure because of all the different door options, electrical, and concrete variations available. If you are looking for the most light absorption than a white tarp is recomended. You mentioned a translucent tarp. That can be done but the problem with a translucent tarp is that they essentially will turn your building into a oven. The white tarp allows 90 percent of light to penetrate and blocks most all harmfull uv rays. During daylight hours you will not need to run interior lighting with any tarp color. We have several tarp colors and options to choose from. If you are intrested in a firmer, more accurate bid, please contact me at [email protected] or phone 605 770 6183. I am not sure who the Winkler dealer is in Indiana but will certainly find out. Hope to hear from you soon.

I toured a Winkler building at White,SD. It was a dairy facility. I loved how light it was during the day inside the building. Also the air quality was superb!!! We were interested in one for a beef finisher, but plans were put on hold.

I have also been in the barn you are talking about in White, SD. However, I should point out that you looked at a CoverAll barn, not a Winkler. There are a few problems with that barn. Last time I was there was shortly after it was finished, maybe a month or so after and already the open ridge was coming apart. That is do mainly because CoverAll spans their rafters out to far. I believe that building is on 16 foot rafter spacing. Essentially what happens when rafters are spanned that far apart is that the tarp can not be kept tight causing shorter life of the tarp and allowing the tarp to really sag betwen the rafters. When I was there last winter there was snow and ice build up on the tarp. On a closer rafter span the snow and ice would have slide off the building. Winkler Barns use a ten foor rafter spacing on our 72' building giving our buildings higher wind and snow loads along with prolonged tarp life because the tarp can be kept tighter with less sag between the rafters. The barn does work though and the calves did look good.

matt said:
As a general rule the industry standard for most barns is 12 oz material. Almost all of the companys purchuse their tarp material from one of two companies, either Intertape Polymer or Fabrene. That is why almost all buildings have the same 15 year pro-rate warranty on the tarp for manufactures defects. In most cases when a tarp is properly tensioned on a Winkler truss barn a customer should expect to get 20 to 25 years out of their tarp. Replacement cost after that time is a fraction of what it would cost to resteel a pole barn roof. Most hail will bounce off of a polymer roof unless it is really big and jagged in which case it would also bang the heck out of a steel roof also. Winkler Canvas Structures is the only company that can say that we have never had a truss come down. Period. Most of that is due to the fact that our building has on average 30% more steel than the competion. Also our structure is enginered for wind and snow loads without the cover. Other companies rely on their cover as part of their structural integrity.

I have 3 building 15' apart - I use 20'X2" PVC - 20 years ago to Home Make Bows to just clear the eaves (8' up on each side) (20'X20') and (15'X20') For Tactors Etc.

For 20 years I must Replace the store bought Poly Tarps every year -
Question:
Can I get a custom cover 15'X20' and at what cost?
Eyes on Corners and centers or I can ad Eyes them as needed.
You can Post here or PM us!

what kind of snow load will they carry...20lbs , 30 lbs.... most everything here is 100 to 150 lb snow load, and then some years you still need to shovel off the roof..

Latest posts