• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hoppers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Malathion is the cheapest choice here. Make sure you get the high conc. stuff.
Can only buy a 50 percent mix. Apparently Trudeau banned everything that works. Regular non farmers can't even buy the 50 percent malathion.
I will just keep downsizing . Spend money on spray,fertilizer and then it never rains so no point. No good to have a bunch of cows that I loose money on

big herd of turkeys, branding might be a bit though :)
I thought about genni hens? I dont know a whole lot about chickens and turkeys except I would have to put them inside at night so I could spend 10000 on coop really easy and then in winter would have to be heated. If they get to far from house then coyote's.
genni( spelling?) hens are pretty wild I dont know if they would survive on their own?

5500 for 200 acres. Just doesn't make sense for pasture. I'm just going to pretend I'm in Mexican desert and I love grasshopper's.
No hay saltamontes en el desierto mexicano señor

Translation

There are no grasshoppers on the Mexican desert sir. :ROFLMAO:

Also grasshoppers are the new "beef." You have a gold mine and don't realize it. You see a problem, I see opportunity:LOL:.

Last week we hauled a couple of loads of yearlings to a pasture in the Baker Valley. As I walked from the pickup to the back of the trailer it looked like the ground was moving at my feet. Bert saw me looking at my feet and said something about sure a lot of grasshoppers. I realized what I was walking through was 10 million quarter inch long baby grasshoppers. When the cattle get rotated they will flood this field. And I mean they will turn it into a lake so they will drowned a lot of these things. That might kill them in this field but dang there is going to be a lot of grasshoppers in Baker this year.

I thought about genni hens? I dont know a whole lot about chickens and turkeys except I would have to put them inside at night so I could spend 10000 on coop really easy and then in winter would have to be heated. If they get to far from house then coyote's.
genni( spelling?) hens are pretty wild I dont know if they would survive on their own?
Wild turkeys man, that is the answer. Get a Komondor pup and raise with a 1000 wild turkeys and the turkey's will eat the hoppers and the dog will herd the birds and kill the coyotes and you can charge outrageous fees for the wealthy city slickers to come out and hunt turkeys. :cool:

Along with the premium price you will get for your fat grass fed beef, you will be looking for ways to spend all that money.

Last week we hauled a couple of loads of yearlings to a pasture in the Baker Valley. As I walked from the pickup to the back of the trailer it looked like the ground was moving at my feet. Bert saw me looking at my feet and said something about sure a lot of grasshoppers. I realized what I was walking through was 10 million quarter inch long baby grasshoppers. When the cattle get rotated they will flood this field. And I mean they will turn it into a lake so they will drowned a lot of these things. That might kill them in this field but dang there is going to be a lot of grasshoppers in Baker this year.
I remember one year in Baker county when my cherry trees were loaded and almost ripe. I went to bed early before dark, dreaming of all the ways I would use all that many cherries.

The next morning as daylight broke, I could see nothing but cherry pits on the tree and not one, even a microscopic, speck of fruit left. I headed down and saw a group of neighbors all gathered at a ranch just off the highway, so I pulled in. The story was while I slept, the skies were darkened with locust, big ugly ones and they swept through the area and ate everything they could that had moisture in it.

I noticed one of the ranchers fruit trees looked a bit broken up and ragged. I was told that the old grandpa lost it and went out and emptied his shotgun, reloaded and keep blasting until he was out of ammo. I am not sure how many hoppers he got, but from the looks of all the neighbors south of him, including me, not enough to brag about.

No hay saltamontes en el desierto mexicano señor

Translation

There are no grasshoppers on the Mexican desert sir. :ROFLMAO:

Also grasshoppers are the new "beef." You have a gold mine and don't realize it. You see a problem, I see opportunity:LOL:.
Haha so I can take grasshoppers to the hutterite soybean crusher plant?

Wild turkeys man, that is the answer. Get a Komondor pup and raise with a 1000 wild turkeys and the turkey's will eat the hoppers and the dog will herd the birds and kill the coyotes and you can charge outrageous fees for the wealthy city slickers to come out and hunt turkeys. :cool:

Along with the premium price you will get for your fat grass fed beef, you will be looking for ways to spend all that money.
Problem with birds is I'm flat open country with predators. Extreme cold and or heat. Would have to build a shelter and bring them in at night. Have to be heated in winter. Guard them all through the day. It would turn into a big thing.
I like working at my old trucks. My tractor will be all fixed up like new if all I do is fix it up instead of hay with it. I'm just going to go with the flow haha

I
I remember one year in Baker county when my cherry trees were loaded and almost ripe. I went to bed early before dark, dreaming of all the ways I would use all that many cherries.

The next morning as daylight broke, I could see nothing but cherry pits on the tree and not one, even a microscopic, speck of fruit left. I headed down and saw a group of neighbors all gathered at a ranch just off the highway, so I pulled in. The story was while I slept, the skies were darkened with locust, big ugly ones and they swept through the area and ate everything they could that had moisture in it.

I noticed one of the ranchers fruit trees looked a bit broken up and ragged. I was told that the old grandpa lost it and went out and emptied his shotgun, reloaded and keep blasting until he was out of ammo. I am not sure how many hoppers he got, but from the looks of all the neighbors south of him, including me, not enough to brag about.
I had a hay crop like that once. Was just starting to bale when a big wind storm came up. I could hardly believe what was happening. It didn't just wreck the windrows it took the windrows.

In Eastern Oregon, it has been noted that the increase of ravens, coyotes, wolves, and cougars, has caused Sage Grouse populations to decrease to low levels. The grouse are the #1 predator that keeps hoppers under control. Ravens are perhaps the biggest cause of the grouse decline. Ravens prefer grouse eggs to hoppers.

The game experts that introduced wolves and advocate protecting the predators of grouse, are responsible for the loss of crops due to grasshoppers in my opinion.

Problem with birds is I'm flat open country with predators. Extreme cold and or heat. Would have to build a shelter and bring them in at night. Have to be heated in winter. Guard them all through the day. It would turn into a big thing.
I like working at my old trucks. My tractor will be all fixed up like new if all I do is fix it up instead of hay with it. I'm just going to go with the flow haha
we get -30 in the winter lot of snow 105 in the summer , we got bob cats, lions and yotes and the turkeys do just find on their own all year . know old timers used to hatch out a few hundred and get a couple thousand together and have kids drive them 59 miles to the rail road

In Eastern Oregon, it has been noted that the increase of ravens, coyotes, wolves, and cougars, has caused Sage Grouse populations to decrease to low levels. The grouse are the #1 predator that keeps hoppers under control. Ravens are perhaps the biggest cause of the grouse decline. Ravens prefer grouse eggs to hoppers.

The game experts that introduced wolves and advocate protecting the predators of grouse, are responsible for the loss of crops due to grasshoppers in my opinion.
Where I used to rent and quit because of bears and wolves. At friends house where we would use his corrals four wolves killed his old dog in the corral during middle of day a few days ago. They managed to shoot one wolf.

Apparently magpie's eat grasshoppers.

Where I used to rent and quit because of bears and wolves. At friends house where we would use his corrals four wolves killed his old dog in the corral during middle of day a few days ago. They managed to shoot one wolf.

Apparently magpie's eat grasshoppers.
I watch hawks line up and work across a field eating hoppers.

I watch hawks line up and work across a field eating hoppers.
You know im not seeing hawks or gophers this year. There are some but nothing like before. I'm wondering if to dry for therm? We have been in a drought so long now I can't remember how long its been. Guessing 13 years?
Wife is thinking about getting a few turkeys for fun of it I guess . if they free range I suspect roosting on trucks and making mess,etc.

Latest posts