• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse Barn Suggestions and experience please

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ksvdberg

Reaction score
We are thinking about building a small horse barn. I would really like to get any suggestions anyone has to offer. Basicly this barn would one stall for a stud and maybe 2-3 other large stalls for foaling and ect. I don't really think I need a wash stall. What kind of lay out would you reccomend? What do you wish you had in your barn? What would you do different? Thanks in advance :)

If I eer had the money to build a horse barn, it would be hip roofed with a hay mow. Wooden floors in the tie stalls. Well lite. Strong walls between stalls. Metal sided so I would never have to paint it. Wide center alley with stalls on either side. Manure doors in each stall to pitch the manure out of.

About all I can think of at the moment. :)

ksvdberg said:
what about something like this for a barn on a budget?

http://www.taylorquarterhorses.com/tqhcompletebarn.html

Hmmm I wonder if this is where gregs brother got his barn from...sure looks like it could be. If so Bobs barn would be the six stall one,except where the wash stall is,thats a entryway and office,enter one the side. I like his barn with the entry and office.Think we're going over on Monday I'll take pics and post them for you,inside and outside. These prices are pretty darn good.

yeah I know but it would be nice to have a stall just in case ya know? We have some crazy storms in spring.

Mrs Greg I would love to see those pictures if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks :)

You can get some spiral earth anchors from your electric fence dealer or Peavey Mart and anchor the corners down. I don't think they'd blow over though.

Oh someday to have a horse barn, what a dream!! Put in the wash stall you will never regret it. You'll use it more then anything, for cleaning tack to dr.ing horses. I would aslo put concrete down for my isles, it just cleans better and less dust. Diffinately a little space for a vet cabinet and maybe a sink with a small counter. And big runs for anything that had to be stalled up. My horses are used to a sec. pasture so a stall would kill them, but for some horses that is the best they'll ever get. Good luck to ya,

I had a horse barn put up three years ago. I had "CLEARY" do it for me. They do a nice metal building of any design you want. After they did the shell I put in some stalls, and a 14x18 tack/office, a 14x16 storage room for my wife to keep her season stuff, a work area with a bench, a place to keep the boat and four wheelers and hay and all the stuff you don't think of when you are getting it built. I also put in a place for an antique car if I ever get one.

Outside the stalls I put up 25x35 runs. Looking back I don't think I would change anything. The main thing is to make it as spacious as you can. I think the main complaint I hear of folks with sheds or barns is that they wish they were bigger.

Something I forgot to mention, you may want to put a heat activated fan up in the cupola. I had one put in that comes on when the temperature gets up to 90 degrees, it sure keeps the barn at a nice temperature when its hot out.

Personally I like a roof with more eave to it. In the building pictured your roof basically ends at the wall. Any amount of snow will end up against the side of your barn.

I dont think we've ever had to deal with too much snow here with our chinooks snow doesn't stick around that long. But thanks for the idea it's worth thinking about.

Those look like nice barns. You could really dress them up by putting on some matching shutters and extended eves. The extented eves make tin barns look much better and the added cost is not much.

Latest posts