• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

horse drawn equipment

Help Support Ranchers.net:

young gun

Reaction score
wondering i anybody had any thoughts on cultivating,and hayin equipment and where some may be found not many options around here would like to do things sans big oil.

Take a run down here into Southern Ontario to the Kitchener-Waterloo area and you will find everything you need for working with horses. The Amish and Mennonites either have it or build it.

Every summer there is a large fund-raiser auction sale (for their Amish schools) where there is every kind horse drawn machinery offered for sale. And almost a couple hundred horses as well. You could get set up in one afternoon! Not to mention the chance to scarf back a dozen or two of the best doughnuts in the world . . . :D

If you come south to equipment shop, be sure to let me know. I know a few folks who could help you find whatever you need. Where are you located up there?

hey that would be nice to look you up. we are in the rainy river district.
about 4 hours west of thunder bay and on the canada/us border.
we have a few mennonite friends with relations in southern ontario never thought about asking them. we are really serious serious about doing things without use of tractors if at all possible.

young gun said:
hey that would be nice to look you up. we are in the rainy river district.
about 4 hours west of thunder bay and on the canada/us border.
we have a few mennonite friends with relations in southern ontario never thought about asking them. we are really serious serious about doing things without use of tractors if at all possible.

Man we musta almost been on your doorstep that last time we were up there moose hunting. Can't remember the name of the hamlet but just east and a bit south of Atikokan.

Oh there is plenty of horse-drawn equipment around here, young gun. It's just that it's hidden in the willows and cedars. I've got an old JD horse drawn rake that is for sale if you want it. Just start asking around. Cultivators and plows could be a bit more rare. There has been a fair number of old horse drawn mowers at auctions in the past, so they are out there. Dump rakes seem plentiful. I can give you a heads up on one of those.

Because no one pays anything for steel around here and no one wants to haul old scrap equipment (highway regulations), there is a fair bit of stuff laying around. I know a neighbor that hauled a bunch of old horse equipment to the dump last summer to become a crumpled mess. Actually, I probably could set you up with a old disc for horses a well. Of course everything you buy is going to need work, so best try and find yourself 2 of everything.

Burnt, any of these ring a bell:

Olcott, Hematite, Sapawe, Blalock, Kawene.

I just looked it up and we were not quite as far west as you are Young Gun. We went just about half an hour west of Kashabowie and hunted a two or three year old clear cut just a bit northeast of Quetico Park. Two years running in the same spot and came home with 2 moose each time.

So we were still a distance from your place. Ontario is kinda big, from end to end!! We are almost at the opposite end from you, likely a 25 hr. drive? And we are still 3 hrs. from the southern tip . . .

We hunted in about 6 or 8 foot high poplar regrowth that provided both a salad bar and cover for the moose. We took a young bull on a new cut and a cow standing on the logging road in the regrowth. They made mighty fine eating. Moose goes pretty quick at our house.

But beef is better and far CHEAPER! :?

An Old Order Mennonite shop just 15 minutes from here does a really nice job of building horse-drawn ride-on plows with JD bottoms.

Last week when I was delivering product to him I asked the price of his plows. A one furrow is $1750 and a 2 is about $2000. So there you go with new prices to do your comparative shopping!

sounds like the moose hunting was successful don't get into it much since it costs more than the meat is worth by the pound in my pasture but its not alway about the cost is it :wink: well thanks for the price comparison will have to keep looking around and aaron i know there is some old iron hanging around just don't really want to burn myself out trying to unseize everything much more fun just to hook up and go right. maybe i have lost some of my sense of adventure.

young gun said:
sounds like the moose hunting was successful don't get into it much since it costs more than the meat is worth by the pound in my pasture but its not alway about the cost is it :wink: well thanks for the price comparison will have to keep looking around and aaron i know there is some old iron hanging around just don't really want to burn myself out trying to unseize everything much more fun just to hook up and go right. maybe i have lost some of my sense of adventure.

That would be my thinking too. Although it depends on how much sweat is worth to you. For what burnt quoted on a new 2 furrow plow, you should be able to buy an entire fleet of old equipment. Although it might take you half the summer to get it running. :lol: You just gotta get those young ones keen on helping pa fix up and paint the old machinery.

There was an article in the Manitoba Co-operator last year I think about a fellow in the Interlake that did everything with horses. Said he buys every piece of old horse equipment he can get.

Well if you get a piece of old equipment that has a part or two that doesn't move or turn, you can do what one local Old Order Mennonite chap did with a seed drill that had sat in the neighbors fence row for many years - soak it down in diesel fuel for about a month!

About twenty liters and a lot of tapping later he actually got it into working condition. A few new bolts and a lot of sweat later, he had himself a "low cost" seed drill. :? Most of us would just leave it in the fencerow . . .

Latest posts