• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse hoof problem

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was out catching up a saddle horse from the bunch wintering out. I noticed one brood mare had bad quarter cracks to the point that one side broke loose.
Any suggestion on how to treat it? I was just planning on trimming it up as short as she will let me. Shoes are not a option.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I was out catching up a saddle horse from the bunch wintering out. I noticed one brood mare had bad quarter cracks to the point that one side broke loose.
Any suggestion on how to treat it? I was just planning on trimming it up as short as she will let me. Shoes are not a option.
Is she lame? They look ugly, but if she isn't lame, we would always trim them up and turn them out and quit looking at them. Same thing if they were lame :D ! We had a mare that was real lame from a crack that went all the way to her coronet band and so we trimmed that foot as short as we could that June, kicked her out in the sagebrush with the rest of our herd, brought her back in for hunting season in Sept and she was all better. Good luck!

Wyoming Wind said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Is she lame? They look ugly, but if she isn't lame, we would always trim them up and turn them out and quit looking at them. Same thing if they were lame! :D

Sounds like a good common sense approach to the situation. I concur. :) :)

Vets are too spendy, horses are too cheap and I just dont have the heart to put'em down anymore. Whenever we have a situation come up like yours, we do just what Wyoming Wind suggested. Had one lastyear that got tore up pretty bad and I had never liked him to begin with. I told the Hostile Native I could turn him out or put him down, but I did'nt really have the stomch for it eventhough I didnt really like him. We turned him out for the winter and now I'm glad I did. It just put starting him back a year. Around here, our horses better be smart or tough because we could'nt afford the vet bills everytime one got bunged up. I think turning them out in big pastures are better for them most of the time anyway. We will doctor on them the best we can and then let nature take over.

Tex

A friend of mine buys the Vigortone horse mineral from me and swears by it to help in these situations.

We fought it all last year, dry weather causes hoof to dry out and split. Took the parade boots, trimmed the hoof, put them on with a lot of moisture in them, proplene glycol, mineral oil, corona, anything to bring moisture back to hoof. A mud puddle works nearly as well,

Denny said:
A friend of mine buys the Vigortone horse mineral from me and swears by it to help in these situations.

Years ago our daughter had a horse with problem feet and she started him
on the Vigortone Free Choice Horse Mineral in the winter. That spring when
her iong-time shoer came to shoe the horse, he remarked, "what have you been
doing to this horse? His feet are the best they have ever been."

So I agree with you Denny. Lots of good stuff in that horse mineral that
horses need, such as Biotin for their feet.

FWIW - around here we would trim short and angle up into the crack (upside down V) to remove pressure. If we have pine tar around we would coat the outside and turn her loose. (we are not much for newfangled horse management techniques - slow learners).

Latest posts