• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse 'paddles' Left front Excessively

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Windsor_Racer

Reaction score
Hey guys, 5 year old stud was racing (Standardbred) fairly well, when he broke down one day on the track. Had to scratch from the race. What's happening is he's paddling his left from SO far out, it's actually kinda scary to train him. We've injected the knees, and ankle with cortisone, as well as his hocks/stifles awhile back. It's like he doesn't want to put any weight on the left front. For the past week i've just been doing him up with rabbits in his front end, especially the left shoulder, and using Jimmy Rickens on his feet. He was shod by the blacksmith (A ferrier in the USA)
and it didnt make any kind of a difference. Equine Vet X-rayed Knee, Said he's fine. Tried blister, Tried sweats. I'm at a loss here. Help!

Jimi In Windsor

R&R is the best cure for an undiagnosed racing injury. It's unusual for a STB to even show pain so if he is acting sore he is REALLY sore. Layup for a bit see what happens hand walk him to keep him from setting up.

The only other thing I might try is a Horse Chiropractor--maybe the pain has something to do with his spine being out of alignment.....

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses, this is great! Yes Big Mud, I do know Robert Mcintosh, But as for His brother, Not so much. He's a great guy, really good for the sport. Anyways, I've not tried swimming him, that might be a good idea. I bought some more Rabbit's Tightener/Sweat today, and Will continue painting, painting, painting. Could an abcess in his foot cause this paddling? I'm thinking about taking off the shoe, and seeing what I can find. I know for damn sure he's no good right now, Won't even stay on the pace. Keep 'em coming!

:wink:

You may try a different farrier too... I had a horse I raised- when he traveled he always slung his head back and forth just a little...I had him shod by two different people during that time...Then I sold him to a friend who used him about a year... He had a new young kid come in and shoe him one day, when he couldn't get his regular farrier- and he said he wasn't aligned right, and that the incorrect alignment was causing him pain-- trimmed him, realigned the hoof angle, and reshod him- and he never threw his head from side to side ever again...But 3 previous farriers had missed this......

Yeah, the Blacksmith we use now is kind of a hack job, actually. What are you guys using for hoof angles? I'm not too familiar with this; I believe we've got him shod at 55. Is there anything I can go with to perhaps give him a stronger gait?

I must have missed the absess part :oops: Yes it will cause a paddle. Put a quarter size rock in your shoe right on the toe pad :), now go for a run . Let me know if you can land on it straight :) Yes I am being a cheeky monkey but some of those absesses are quite deep. Pull his shoe and do a plaster on it. Drain the goo out. I'd have to see him move to know what is going on for sure. Does he clip himself when he paddles? Quite a few of the runner out here are run with wraps to protect from the over reaching.

Do you have access to a paddock? If so turn him lose you will be able to see where his is ouchy alot better if he can move by himself.
Swimming is a fantastic idea to keep him conditioned while you are diagnosing the problem.

I would pull his shoes and check if his hoof is flat or if your blacksmith has him unlevel. That will really cause a horse to travel odd esp. if he dubbed the toe too. I guess I'm kindda anal that way, NO ONE TOUCHES MY HORSES HOOVES UNLESS I KNOW THAT THEY ARE GOOD!!!! I have an excellent farrier, even if he is my brother, he is good always learning and not affraid to say "lets wait and I will find out more"!!

Call Gene Ovnicek in Penrose, Colorado. He has seen EVERYTHING
and he will be able to help you.

www.hopeforsoundness.com

I'm not kidding. He may have an apprentice near you.
He travels abroad and has lots of seminars. He is so kind
and so very nice and mostly THE HORSE MATTERS to him.

Good luck.

Hey! I was at Windsor Race Track last week and bet on
the harness horses. Had a great time, but lost...

Latest posts