• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse Shoe Pit.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I have volunteered to build a horse shoe pit at our local community hall . I got all the specs off the computer so have a relatively good idea what to do. Was wondering if anyone has any tips to make things go smoothly and last longer . All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Lol Burnt, I would probably need that too as I haven't thrown shoes in at least 10 years.

I was reading where they recommend putting landscaping material down to keep the sand in longer. Saw a neat design with lights at each end .Will have to do that for our pit at home .

hillsdown said:
Lol Burnt, I would probably need that too as I haven't thrown shoes in at least 10 years.

I was reading where they recommend putting landscaping material down to keep the sand in longer. Saw a neat design with lights at each end .Will have to do that for our pit at home .

The way I throw I would hit the lights. :wink: The appartment complex I lived at in college had one cross ties around it with sand in the hold area. I guess they did that for those of us that can't throw the 40ft.

:lol: I was wondering about that, as the one in the picture hung down over the pit. I know the throws can get a little wicked, especially after a few beers as the night goes on. :wink:

I was going to cut up the wood tonight but just received a stern lecture on the phone from Mr HD that he would divorce me if I lost a finger or worse, so he will be getting the frames done tomorrow . :roll:

A horseshoe pitching court can cost a lot of money. I used to pitch a little at the one in Fargo and it was sponsored by the Teamsters.

Here is a similar shelter which was built in Bismarck.

http://www.bismanhorseshoepitching.com/page%202.htm

It also helps the success rate to use the biggest horseshoes you can git yer hands on . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuSZKEwG0Lc&feature=related

hillsdown said:
:lol: I was wondering about that, as the one in the picture hung down over the pit. I know the throws can get a little wicked, especially after a few beers as the night goes on. :wink:

I was going to cut up the wood tonight but just received a stern lecture on the phone from Mr HD that he would divorce me if I lost a finger or worse, so he will be getting the frames done tomorrow . :roll:

Tam tells me the same thing. :oops:

Latest posts