• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse Slaughter done in U.S.????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Horse Slaughter Amendment Part of Farm Legislation
USAgNet - 11/04/2005

An amendment that removes money for United States Department of Agriculture inspections of horse slaughterhouses and horsemeat is included in the 2006 agriculture appropriations bill that has been sent to President Bush for his signature.
The Senate approved the omnibus bill Nov. 3 by an 81-18 vote. The ban on USDA appropriations ends Sept. 30, 2006. U.S. Rep. Ed Whitfield of Kentucky told the Louisville Courier-Journal he and other lawmakers would now attempt to make the ban permanent.

The bill doesn't stop horses from being euthanized and sold to rendering plants.

There is some debate as to whether the cutoff of USDA funds for inspections of horses and horsemeat would actually force slaughterhouses to close. In addition, agriculture laws were amended to allow slaughterhouses to hire independent inspectors, but whether that means the slaughter of horses for meat consumption could continue isn't known.

The omnibus agriculture bill includes language that makes horses eligible for federal emergency relief, American Horse Council president Jay Hickey said. The aid is part of the Equine Equity Act supported by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Hickey said tax changes in the Equine Equity Act failed to make the agriculture bill. They would have to go through regular order in Congress or be attached to tax legislation, he said.

In addition, agriculture laws were amended to allow slaughterhouses to hire independent inspectors, but whether that means the slaughter of horses for meat consumption could continue isn't known.

The French and Eastern Europe will have to send their own Horse meat inspectors if this bill passes.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer has the VS quarentine been lifted yet? If it has has the meat horse market recovered yet.

There is still a sort of quarantine- need a health before going out of state (nothing new there), altho cattle can now again go to ND salesyards without a health (get it there)-- and a couple of counties still have restrictions within them for horse movement...

Nothing still going to Canada--Last I heard was that it could be lifted in Dec. or Jan--Has to be 21 days after the last case was found....

Sounds to me like there is no meat market right now---probably because most from our area went to Canada---I heard Billings Lives last sale was a disaster- broke horses selling for $300- yearlings and two year olds for $25-50......Because of all the months of no sales they were supposed to have 1500-2000 head....Maybe someone that was there knows more than the rumor I heard....

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer has the VS quarentine been lifted yet? If it has has the meat horse market recovered yet.

There is still a sort of quarantine- need a health before going out of state (nothing new there), altho cattle can now again go to ND salesyards without a health (get it there)-- and a couple of counties still have restrictions within them for horse movement...

Nothing still going to Canada--Last I heard was that it could be lifted in Dec. or Jan--Has to be 21 days after the last case was found....

Sounds to me like there is no meat market right now---probably because most from our area went to Canada---I heard Billings Lives last sale was a disaster- broke horses selling for $300- yearlings and two year olds for $25-50......Because of all the months of no sales they were supposed to have 1500-2000 head....Maybe someone that was there knows more than the rumor I heard....

http://www.billingslivestock.com/horsesales.html#report

Doesn't look like a bad sale to me--Must have been junk if the story of the cheapies is true.....Not going to have a fall sale here this year...If I get to the ring next week I'll ask the horse buyer what canners are bringing per pound.....

glad to see the horse market doing well in billings.wish i could say that for sw iowa.you're $5000 montana or nebraska ranch broke horse just became worth $500 here.horse slaughter in texas is on hold because of court.the illinois plant just recently reopened after a fire. when i find the web pages to back this up and i figure out how to post them, i will.i'll have to have one of my kids help, they know more about these things than i do.

Latest posts