• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter in Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Mike wanted me to ask how many slaughter plants are still going in Canada, and what the current horse price is. The local sale here says horses are bringing .10/lb :???:

From Johnstone's in Moose Jaw

February Horse Sale Results - February 5, 2009
62 horses total
Mares/Geldings in good condition sold from $400 to $700
Most 2/3yr olds sold from $150 to $300
Most yearlings sold from $50 to $200
Most weaned foals sold from $50 to $250

Nicky
I got the results of last months sale in Billings,Mt says 1200 to 1300 pounders brought 42 to 48 dollars per 100 weight.
I talked to a guy here in Ne last week who hauls killers to Tx from there they go to Mexico.He is giving 30 dollars a 100 for fleshy horses

:D MORE GOOD NEWS!

Please forward to your contacts ……………………Lets keep this ball rolling! Note: Illinois is trying to reverse the dumb law they passed .
List of States Introducing Slaughter Legislation Grows
by: Pat Raia
February 19 2009, Article # 13639

Print Email NEW! Add to Favorites RSS ShareThis

Twelve state legislatures are now considering measures to express their support of or actively encourage the reestablishment of U.S. horse processing plants.

Resolutions indicating opposition to HR 503, the federal Conyers-Burton Prevention of Equine Cruelty Act, which would eliminate horse slaughter nationwide and prohibit the export of horses to slaughter are either under consideration or have already passed in:

Arizona (SCM 1001)
Kansas (HCR 5004)
Minnesota (SF 133)
North Dakota (HB 1496)
South Dakota (SCR 2)
Utah (HJR 7)
Wyoming (HJR 8)
Bills amending state laws to promote private investor plant development are pending in:

Arkansas (HCR 1004)
Illinois (HB 0583)
Missouri (House, HCR 19 House; Senate, SCR 8)
Montana (HB 418)
Tennessee (HB 1361)
The state measures were prompted by a resolution submitted into the National Conference of State Legislatures' (NCSL) Agriculture and Energy Committee in December 2008 by Wyoming State Rep. Sue Wallis and then South Dakota State Rep. Dave Sigdestad.

The NCSL is a bipartisan organization that advocates for state governments' interests before Congress and other federal agencies. The resolution encourages legislators in rural states to promote horse processing on the basis of generating jobs and addressing the issue of unwanted horses.

"We want to take the emotion out of the slaughter issue and look at it economically," Sigdestad said. "These bills are the only way we have to get our voices heard in Washington."

Keep an eye on TheHorse.com for updates as this situation develops.
FW: Horse processing in TN!!

http://www.wbbjtv.com/NewsStories/090219NaySayerstoHorseBill.html

Nay Sayers to Horse Bill

By: Stephanie Ryan

5:30 pm

At Latham's Meat Company, Paul Latham says you can get almost anything, "We have fresh beef, fresh pork, fresh poultry..." But if you're hungry enough to "eat a horse," that's one thing they don't serve, "No horse meat!" Latham exclaims. And most people are okay with that. "If it's not beef, chicken or fish, I don't want it,"

Lashune Harris said.

But if East Tennessee Representative Frank Nicely has his way, horse meat may be easier to get. "We laugh at Indians because they don't eat cattle and they laugh at us because we don't eat horses. The whole world eats horse meat, France, Belgium, India, China," Nicely said. He notes that he doesn't have a craving for the cuisine, but believes because of current laws, more old horses are suffering than ever before. "These horses are being hauled out to Canada and Mexico and hauled to the ocean and put on huge slaughter ships and killed out in the ocean."

I aint got nothing against feeding the children over seas, but what about the people starving here in our own back yard!(here in America) Bet ya a coke to a doughnut, who ever say they won't eat horse; if thats all they can get there hands they'll eat it. Not only for them older horses that was once good ones; getting neglected and unwanted and turned into coyote bait. I here tell of a couple of mountain lions running the sand hills of North-Eastern Colorado, them cats forced out of the mountains "people wanting a peice of the mountain" I'd hate to wake up to a blood chilling screem of a big cat in my back yard whether it be here by the house or even a mile away. Bad enough having coyotes playing out in my pastures.
I hope them plants open up, horses would be worth a heck of alot more. Plus it would create more jobs and put some money back in "po folks pockets"

I was told last week at my local Cattlemans meeting,by the NCBA/BQA people that horse slaughter is dead in the water for now.And if the powers that be think your hauling horses to sale for purposes of slaughter,you'll be taken to the town square and flogged,well not that last part :? How would they know?I guess they have thier ways.

Went to the Waverly Draft horse auction in Iowa last week. Prices were pretty good compared to what I expected. Japs were there buying up big hitchy, young horses for racing. If they don't work out on the track, they "dispose" of them. They bought up a bunch of horses.

Latest posts