• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse turns skittish

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
Holly has in the past month turned very skittish. I cant even pet her while she is eating let alone get near her without food. If I do touch her after 30 seconds she comes unglued...hops sideways to get away from me. She keeps her ears pinned and quivers whenever I am in the pen. I have to wait till this weekend to see if she does it with another person.
The only thing I can think of is the lady who's horse I am taking care of....yeah I am way to softhearted getting taken advantage of again.
Her "training method" is to close off part of the pen and run her horse while snapping a homemade whip. She will do this for 45-60 mins then leave. never touching her horse just running her in one direction.

I am not asking for a "quick fix" I know this is going to take time. I took some time today and once I got the lead rope around her neck she pulled away from me for a few mins till she figured out I was not letting go. She never did that before. once you had the rope on her she would walk where ever you wanted her. I spent an hour and half just petting and brushing while the first half hour she would not stand still.
I am use to LOL well trained horses not young "green broke"
Dont tell me to sell and get an older one cuz Holly is my girl and she is not mean and doesnt kick, buck, bite, she is just really scared of something.
Anyways I love her and cant give up and just get another one.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

The "training method" sounds like the issue to me. Especially if the lady is doing it in her pen... I'd move the lady out, or move your horse somewhere else, where she's not exposed to the training methods.

Do you ride or work your horse? Or is she more of a pet?

Sometimes a change in the weather can make a horse act frisky like that. However, it is probably a result of the new horse and its "training".

No matter what is causing her to be skittish, the result is a lack of respect for you. Gaining that respect requires work and some discipline. Just feeding and petting your horse will not get the respect you want.

This link explains some of Clint Anderson's philosophy: http://downunderhorsemanship.com/blog/INDEX.CFM?id=76

Enough of these three things: long rides, wet saddle pads and concentrated training will get you the respect you need but in Clint's clinics and DVD's he deals specifically with the respect issue.

Short of doing the work necessary to gain respect, I agree with ReRun about removing your horse from the problem or vice versa.

You might love her, but green on green=broken bones.

Remember, horses are not dogs. And even dogs need a leader--but they
are smaller and easier to handle than a horse that hasn't got
a leader.
Holly doesn't know that you are the leader...and you need
to leave her no doubt that it's you. It's a respect
thing, as JF Ranch says. I hate to be the one to mention it,
but you are already in over your head. You need some professional
help, or more than likely, Holly will build on what's going on now,
and will get worse.

At the very least try the Clinton Anderson stuff and GET RID OF THE OTHER HORSE, or at least the woman doing the whip tricks. What does she think she is accomplishing anyway??

We had the respect untill I had to work for 12 days straight and amber came out quite a bit and "worked" her horse.
She says she is teaching her ground work........ok if she says so. I want to know why hasnt she been able to touch her horse or put a halter on her yet....its been 7 months.
I keep hoping they will pay me the money they already own me but I know its NOT going to happen and she is undoing all I have already done with holly.

As to is she a pet or working LOL I will be honest she is a pet since all we are going to be doing is ditch and trail riding around town. She is no longer any use around cows after the bad wreck she had getting flipped and landing on her back at the sale barn. The county vet and a few others said they dont know how she got up and they all knew either her or the rider were going to be dead or badly hurt. She is still unsure of how much weight she can put on her left front leg where she was gored by the horn. She is getting better and will pick her foot up for a few seconds and getting longer.
Yes I know, .....many issue but she is very gentle and wants to please.
I will not give up on her and no matter how much work I have to do I am willing. Everyone has to start somewhere. I know I have the patience, tenacity, want to, and passion.
LOL FH I was in over my head when I moved to Texas.......in over my head when I moved to Dalhart, I have a nack for getting in over my head then swimming. Its kinda like tell me I cant....stand back and watch me go and do it ;)

I am trying to get info from Clint, thinking I might just have to get the DVDs. I can find more videos by Larry Trocha which seem from what i have read so far to be on the same page.

I do appreciate the advice yall have offered and am following most of it LOL This weekend is back to the basics for Holly good thing I have a lunge line and dressage whip...NO I will NOT hit her with it I know how to lunge. LOL
If yall have any other ideas please pass them on. Thank yall

My question now is, why are you riding, or trying to ride a horse that is lame in the front?

My advice is to let her heal up first. I think you will have a lot better
luck. And with the rest of your story, there is a good chance she
has hurt her back when she went over. You are right, this poor horse
really has some issues. I'd sure get someone competent to look at
her back and make sure she is okay. First things first, and I'd think
getting her sound would be first and formost.

FWIW...just trying to help, not being smart.

Can you say DOG FOOD?????

I hope you got good insurance...cause sounds like you're gonna be needing it.....SOON!!

And get that freeloader off your place.....

jingo2 said:
Can you say DOG FOOD?????

I hope you got good insurance...cause sounds like you're gonna be needing it.....SOON!!

And get that freeloader off your place.....

How come you are on her place? :D

My first advice would be to have an equine chiropractor check her out. The next would be to give her time to heal on the injury to her leg. Those kinda things take a long time. Not just the visible outside healing over. Sometimes the inside stuff takes up to a year or so to get right. Then of course with that much time off...you will hafta start from square 1 again. But if not and she's in pain, you could be aggrivating the injury and preventing it from healing.

If you dont want to give any advice go back to PG and call me names and make your snide comments.

Her wreck was in Aug. she was ridden by her owner 2 other times after the wreck the next week. Thats when he found out she was no good around cows.
I have rode her twice. Both times for maybe 20 mins in Dec. I only had her in a walk just to see what she knew. She was not pushed and never even thought of breaking a sweat.
All other times I have been handling her and treating the wound. I know she was in pain up untill the end of Oct. Thats why I waited untill Dec.
I have been doing everything to get her healed up.
She has been resting and getting minerals and feed. WHich she wasnt getting before. She is making great progress.
As for the equine chiropractor he has no openings untill the first part of March. Which I plan on taking her to Amarillo to see him. That is one of the joys of living up here.

FH , JF, and Lilly thanks for the help. I was asking since I am so frustrated and would rather vent them, then go out and be calm. I am not as green as you might think just upset.
There is only one other person around here and she works during the week so its hard to talk with her when I am off. All the other ones are cowboys and thier advice has been ride her and ride her hard and "school on" her. I want a gentle building approach.

I'm so glad you aren't listening to the cowboys that are giving you advice.
Problem is, they are cowboys and not horsemen.

If she is lame, tho, she shouldn't be ridden or worked, IMO. Sometimes
they think YOU are the one hurting her. FWIW.

Good luck.

Msage,run the free loader off,and let that horse regain her confidence,just leave her alone for how ever long it takes for her to tell you she is fine,and if you caint listen understand a horse,find someone that can,that's my advice,Leave her alone tell she tells you she is fine,if I had the time ...................
good luck

I hope this is not the case, but is there any possible way she could have been exposed to rabies?

Unusual behavior is one of the symptoms, and if she should suddenly die, it would be well worth the cost and the worry to have the brain tested.

An area veterinarian just had a story about some 'near misses' on diagnoses of diabetes in various animals which could have caused people their lives had they not been discovered in time. There is limited time between exposure and treatment in humans and no recovery is possible if not treated in time. It seems being overly cautious if NOT overly cautious!

mrj

MsSage,

I don't think you have much of a problem with Holly, so don't make more of it than it actually is.

Your friend is obviously over her head with her horse and she needs more training than her horse does! I'll bet that she has learned just enough from RFD-TV to be dangerous and doesn't understand how to get past snapping a whip.

She is doing much more harm than good, so she either needs to leave or at least discontinue her so called "training". That's for her horse's benefit as well as yours.

It sounds like your horse has a nice disposition and I think she will come back to where she was if you work with her correctly. I agree that if she's not sound, you will need to get her over that first.

There is nothing wrong with ditch riding or trail riding. Remember that long rides, wet saddle pads and concentrated training make a useful horse. If you can't put long rides on her, work her harder while you're riding, so that she gets a good workout. Keep in mind that you need to get her to do the correct things at the same time you are riding the trail. Clinton Anderson will give you good ideas about what you can do on the trail to train while you ride.

While I think Clinton is excellent, there are others who are probably just as good. I would definitely recommend that you get his DVD's (or one of the other good trainers). He is an excellent teacher and by viewing them repeatedly, you get something more from them each time. If you feel that you are over your head, you can always find a professional to help you.

If the DVD's seem too expensive at his website, you might check places like ebay for a bargain.

Again, there's nothing that can't be fixed so don't worry about Holly being ruined.

Horse are kinda like kids.....they don't come with instruction manuals....

But most of the time with patience and persistance you can work thru their problems. Or more accurately their "people" problems. Not every horse is the same...altho basic training works on them all.....some take longer than others to grasp a concept. Just as people do. Some have to be reminded more often than others until they 'get it'.

We've got one now that is an extremely slow learner. From one day to the next every ride is like, "You want me to do what???" Yeah dude....I"m askin you to do the same thing you did yesterday!!!!! But his blood lines we've been told by numerous people that have them...that that's how they are...but one day the light comes on and the get it. He's fixing to be traded for something else most likely just because he's not progressing at the rate Amanda wants him too....(she doesn't have the patients for his crap) And that's not a bad thing. Some people and horses just don't click. And if it's not a match....you find somethin else. So we have a friend that really likes this horse....that has a grey gelding we will be goin to try out this next week.....hopefully they'll get along. We've had this horse for 2 years....so it's not like we are just givin up easily...it's been a long hard road to this choice of trading him.

Oh...and there's nothing in the world wrong with asking for professional help. If it can make things easier or safer in the end.....that's the route to take.

I don't think you have much of a problem with Holly, so don't make more of it than it actually is.
LOL yeap this is what I am doing...over thinking.

Oh...and there's nothing in the world wrong with asking for professional help.
Sometimes asking others who you know have been there done that helps you see where your overthinking.

Thanks yall I know the root problem and as I have said to a couple there are health issue that the lady has that I want to be sure I give every chance so I can look in the mirror.
I guess I am just feeling overwhelmed with this and other life things so I am blowing everything out of proportion.

I have been watching some clips by Clint, Larry, and Pat. I have learned alot and found I am doing most things right. I had an offer from a poster for some videos by Larry Trocha which I am very gratefull for and am waiting for them to arrive.

We've had this horse for 2 years....so it's not like we are just givin up easily
I am sure yall have though long and hard ....since I have only had Holly since the end of Oct ~2 months is way too early to give up.
Maybe the grey will be a better fit and this one will find his fit there.

Again thank you for the helpful advice yall really have helped.
I also had a college girl come by who has been working with a massage therapist in Ok and she checked Holly out last night. She said she is not out of align but does have a couple muscles that need working on to get them to smooth back out where they should be. She and her Mom checked her leg and both said they could not feel any damage and the cut had healed nicely.
Both said she is ready to be worked. Been waiting to hear back from the vet when he is going to be up here so I can be here when he stops by. He comes up from Dalhart about every 2-3 weeks but said since the holidays he is behind so it might be another 2 weeks.

Faster horses said:
:agree:

As I told Mssage in a PM, we are lucky that good horses are very
forgiving. I've seen them save peoples lives and often times,
that person didn't even know it.

We see that nearly every barrel race we attend in some way or another. LOL

Latest posts