• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hot

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt said:
Well we thankfully did not reach our forecast high of 97 but are currently sitting at 91 with the 64% humidity making a humidex reading of 110.

Hottest it's been here in a long time.

3 hours southwest of us in Windsor it is 99 with a humidex reading of 120. All that asphalt makes the city a bad place to be.

Last winter with its deep cold and snow seems like a distant memory . . .
:lol:

i can handle the cold a lot better than the heat and humidity :lol: :lol: :!:

what would you consider your hometown, Burnt

I was born in Clinton, Ontario, raised near Zurich, On. and have farmed near Brussels, On. for almost 50 years.

So I'm not sure what you'd call my hometown but my mail goes to Brussels. Which is about 100 miles west of Toronto.

Here I sit at 12:53 am and it's 85 degrees and 70% humidity right now.

I can't even remember how long it's been since we've had a day that the high wasn't 100 plus.

Ya'll know good n well that I don't like winter. But I'm ready for it. That and some RAIN!!!!

Yesturday afternoon I was trying to update the "Waterwagon" - - - I parked it just outside the wokshop and would work for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time then sit in front of a fan in the shop.

101F with 96% humidity heat index 123F

After about an hour ( about 2:00 PM ) I had to quit and go in the air conditioning for about 2 hours - - - went back out for about 45 minutes and got the job done but was completely worn out again and parked the wagon and got back inside.

I reshaped a parking lot for a local truck stop and had to keep the dust down. With the water wagon I could completely wet the whole lot ( 2,000 gal at a time ) then get back on the road grader. With the city water pressure from a 2" line I had 3 garden hoses going full blast and it would take just over an hour to fill.

The first week of Aug I get to remove the crushed stone and put in 6" of concrete small sections at a time to keep everything in operation - - - should take about 2 to 3 months - - - as long as they have the money I'm grateful for the work!

I was able to rework the water wagon yesturday as we got 1.3" of rain the night before last. Will need the water again today as the heat has just taken all the rain away!

Well 1.3" would seem like a gift here right now. The corn is tasseling and needs a good shot of rain to set the crop. It's overcast this morning which sure helps take the bite out of the heat. Hopefully it turns into something wet this weekend.

I hear ya on the working in the heat thing. Yesterday I had the job of sitting on a chair to connect a three wire cord into a 220 electric motor and that was all it took to tucker me out and soak a couple of shirts . . .

Yeah, I can hear the Texans laugh at us but we can laugh at them in the winter when they start shivering at freezing temperature and we think it's still mild! :wink:

Yeah...but we only hafta shivver occasionally in our mild winters. Ya'll have it for 6 months or more LOL

Seriously tho. We work out in it all the time It's hot yes....usually hotter in the shop where we work than it is outside. Sometimes temps in the shop are 120...makes steppin outside into the 100+ feel like A/C. Usually there from around 2pm to 6pm every day. Long as we have somethin cold to drink...and a fan goin....we survive.

Gawd Jersey, I'm glad you can handle it and I don't have to. :shock:

Pouring rain here again ,what else is new. And am seriously considering turning the heat on ,only 12C today.

Another 1/4 inch last night and 40mls supposed to fall today. What the heck ,the hay is already soaked, whats a few more inches on it :???:

Sure wish we could send you guys some cool weather and much needed moisture .

Big thunder boomer dumping on us now heading north, look out hayguy. Baled a few rounds at 30% this morning, need heat.

ya, it's here, baled last night till 11pm then tarped. tried this am but just too wet so i fluffed the 3 rounds we have left till we catch up to the cutter, i guess that was a waste of time and fuel :lol: :lol:

Decided to throw in the towel ,stocked the holiday trailer and are off to the lake tomorrow for the weekend. Will be the first time I have gotten away overnight from here in over 5 years .

Hopefully I can flip rounds on Monday Morning and hubby can bale by late evening or Tues .

I guess we cam get by without rain a little longer, but the twelve year old neighbor boy would sure like to see some so he could see what the fuss is all about.

Thanks FH and please stay safe !

We are meeting 3 other couples and none of them Ranch so I think we can find other things to discuss, although they always find that lifestyle very interesting . :wink:

Plan to go out on the river boat for a few hours, play with Nikki in the water and get her to swim and work on her muscling a little and then we have a really nice meal planned for the end of the day. Yep, we sure are going to be roughing it :lol:

It was either the lake or the Indy race in Edmonton . The pup got the final say I think. :wink:

Have a great weekend everyone , hopefully everyone's weather will be more forgiving afte the weekend. :wave:

per said:
Big thunder boomer dumping on us now heading north, look out hayguy. Baled a few rounds at 30% this morning, need heat.

do you have wrapping capability? 30% is to dry isn't it :lol: :lol:

hayguy said:
per said:

I think he treats it with crystal meth or something like that. :shock:

Oh ya acid. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or maybe a white powder. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:
per said:

Lactic acid, citric acid and acidophilus. What would you know of acid, meth or white powder BMR?

per said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
hayguy said:

Lactic acid, citric acid and acidophilus. What would you know of acid, meth or white powder BMR?

I watch CSI.

Last night the heat brought us a thunder storm- wind and HAIL...Many beautiful wheat and pea fields mowed off about 6" high- same with any standing hay...Several neighbors lost lots of windows in their houses- besides other damage...Our house has some cracked windows, roof and wall damage and rain gutters completely shattered....Tree leaves pounded right into the west wall...

But I think our grain crops were short enough- and the 1st cutting hay is already in the stack- so the moisture that came with it (1.1 inch here- some got as much as 2.5) probably did more good than damage..
Luckily the pastures which are 30 miles away only got rain....

Latest posts