• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

House Budget cuts Food Stamp Program

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike said:
Faster horses said:
Mike said:
From the Montana Application for SNAP:

They DO NOT "Have" to work. If they "Involuntarily" lose their job, they are still eligible.............................................

Got it. Thanks Mike.

Please keep in mind that there are people who can successfully be terminated from a job "Involuntarily" to skirt the system................. and do it everyday.

YUP.
And you know that Food Stamps come out of the Farm Bill...and
it's a LARGE part of that budget.

Faster horses said:
Mike said:
Faster horses said:
Got it. Thanks Mike.

Please keep in mind that there are people who can successfully be terminated from a job "Involuntarily" to skirt the system................. and do it everyday.

YUP.
And you know that Food Stamps come out of the Farm Bill...and
it's a LARGE part of that budget.

Approx 75% of Farm Bill spending goes towards SNAP.
The nutrition title accounts for more than 75 percent of the entire farm bill spending. The primary nutrition assistance program is the Supplemental Nutrition Assurance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps. SNAP helps supplement the food budget of low-income households and is designed in such a way that it expands to help those households during economic downturns and contracts as the economy improves. Participation in SNAP has risen by nearly 70 percent - from 26 million in 2007 to more than 44 million in April of 2011. The U.S. spent $33 billion on SNAP in fiscal year 2007 and spending has more than doubled to nearly $69 billion in fiscal year 2011.

"This dramatic growth in SNAP participation and cost has strained our resources. Given our current budget situation, we have a responsibility to examine whether we can reduce the funding without compromising the integrity of the SNAP program," said Chairman Jean Schmidt (R-OH).

cowman52 said:
Bet you a hundred if they welfare recip had to put in say 5 hrs a week in community a service, the line to apply would get a heck of a lot shorter.

I'll take that bet. Just to see you win. Can we get the requirement passed?

backhoeboogie said:
cowman52 said:
Bet you a hundred if they welfare recip had to put in say 5 hrs a week in community a service, the line to apply would get a heck of a lot shorter.

I'll take that bet. Just to see you win. Can we get the requirement passed?

Just want to point out that many get paid to protest and stand around with the OWS crowd. (campaigning for obama)

edited to add: "community service" is now called "community organizing"

We need to put a few limititations on food stamps; No prepared foods, no candy, no pop, no snack food.

Sandhusker said:
We need to put a few limititations on food stamps; No prepared foods, no candy, no pop, no snack food.

That will not stop anything, see it every day, people trading cash for stamps. at a lessor value for the stamps,, then they use them for themselves to buy food, the the ones that sold, buy booze tobacco and other things that are not supposed to be purchased..There are even some stores that will cook the books :mad:

Faster horses said:
To me, hoppy, this part means you must work:

Work Requirements
To maintain food stamp benefits, Montana residents who are not disabled and are between the ages of 16 and 60 must work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Individuals who do not maintain a work schedule of 30 hours per week will lose their benefits until they resume working.

----------------
Note that it says 'must'...

Thought you might have missed that.

My post was from the official SNAP site and and the must REGISTER , not necessarily WORK,
check my link

hopalong said:
Sandhusker said:

That will not stop anything, see it every day, people trading cash for stamps. at a lessor value for the stamps,, then they use them for themselves to buy food, the the ones that sold, buy booze tobacco and other things that are not supposed to be purchased..There are even some stores that will cook the books :mad:

Did you report these transactions you saw to authorities :???: These actions are criminal - and if done by a store as part of a scheme is a felony....

45-6-312. Unauthorized acquisition or transfer of food stamps. (1) A person commits the offense of unauthorized acquisition or transfer of food stamp benefits if the person knowingly:
(a) acquires, purchases, possesses, or uses any food stamp benefit that the person is not entitled to; or
(b) transfers, sells, trades, gives, or otherwise disposes of any food stamp benefit to another person not entitled to receive or use it.
(2) A person convicted of an offense under this section shall be fined not more than $1,500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for not more than 6 months, or both. A person convicted of an offense under this section, which offense is part of a common scheme or in which the value of the food stamp benefits exceeds $1,500, shall be fined not more than $50,000 or be imprisoned in the state prison for not more than 10 years, or both.
(3) As used in this section, "food stamp benefits" means any stamp, coupon, or type of certification provided for the purchase of eligible food pursuant to the Food Stamp Act of 1977, 7 U.S.C. 2011 through 2029, or any similar public assistance program.

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 87, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 616, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 397, L. 1999; amd. Sec. 81, Ch. 2, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 473, L. 2009.

Oldtimer said:
hopalong said:
Sandhusker said:

Did you report these transactions you saw to authorities :???: These actions are criminal - and if done by a store as part of a scheme is a felony....

45-6-312. Unauthorized acquisition or transfer of food stamps. (1) A person commits the offense of unauthorized acquisition or transfer of food stamp benefits if the person knowingly:
(a) acquires, purchases, possesses, or uses any food stamp benefit that the person is not entitled to; or
(b) transfers, sells, trades, gives, or otherwise disposes of any food stamp benefit to another person not entitled to receive or use it.
(2) A person convicted of an offense under this section shall be fined not more than $1,500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for not more than 6 months, or both. A person convicted of an offense under this section, which offense is part of a common scheme or in which the value of the food stamp benefits exceeds $1,500, shall be fined not more than $50,000 or be imprisoned in the state prison for not more than 10 years, or both.
(3) As used in this section, "food stamp benefits" means any stamp, coupon, or type of certification provided for the purchase of eligible food pursuant to the Food Stamp Act of 1977, 7 U.S.C. 2011 through 2029, or any similar public assistance program.

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 87, L. 1983; amd. Sec. 6, Ch. 616, L. 1993; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 397, L. 1999; amd. Sec. 81, Ch. 2, L. 2009; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 473, L. 2009.

You forgot to point the blame at Dubya.

oldtimer this is not MT, where calling the HIGH SHERIFF means more than calling the local bar to find a drunk !!
All they do is move operations you fool!! Reporting it YES getting anything done is not meaningful..... YOU can cite all the laws you want. if it was that easy it could be handled with no problem!! but you have now idea about REAL idea as to how to handle crime living in a county that has a population of about 7500!!!

EH
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kinda like drugs,,,,bust one 3 more pop up, SEEEEEZZE you ignorant old fool

the cops around here have more things to do that bust someone involved in a 30.00 crime!!!! Of course in Valley Montana that would probbally be a MAJOR crime in the time you were HI sheriff

Steve said:
While I agree that the Food Stamp program has been misused and abused- and needs much tougher enforcement- those folks need to realize the program not only aids the needy

yes often besides the needy, the greedy, lazy drug addicted and just plain sleazy get food stamps as well...

by cutting food stamps maybe then it will force the liberals giving them out to actually do their job of monitoring the program instead of writing blank checks and not caring who gets them...

by cutting food stamps those who need them might actually use them for what they were intended.,.. instead of the luxuries few of US can afford..

by cutting food stamps.. you might actually encourage a few to actually get out and work harder to support their families..

Trouble is, you can't cut them for the parents without hurting innocent children. I've often thought, besides breakfast and lunch at school, send kids home with a sack lunch dinner or feed them before they leave school. Guess that would be pretty embarassing,(kids shouldn't have to endure that but today some wouldn't care) again it might inspire a little more responsibility from the parents-at least some of them.

when time got tough for most Americans we cut out the extras.. and focused more on the necessities.. maybe it is a lesson some of the poor learn as well..

Trouble is, you can't cut them for the parents without hurting innocent children. I've often thought, besides breakfast and lunch at school, send kids home with a sack lunch dinner or feed them before they leave school. Guess that would be pretty embarassing,(kids shouldn't have to endure that but today some wouldn't care) again it might inspire a little more responsibility from the parents-at least some of them.

as a child we had both breakfast and lunch at school.. and sometimes at home we had supper...

when my parents had to get up and go to work.. they couldn't sit in the bar all evening... so we had a somewhat regular schedule as well...

I never felt embarrassed to get the free school lunches... but often felt hungry and embarrassed when my parents were to drunk to care about us...

I guess you are quite a bit younger than me. When I went to school there were no breakfast meals,only lunch. I will say my parents always had supper for us and my lunches were paid for by my parents.
Fortunately neither of my parents drank and did the best they could to take care of my brother and myself both eventually were factory workers-my mother 37 yrs., my father ~30 yrs. I would have been embarassed to accept free lunches in those days. Today nobody knows who gets free lunches as it is kept confidential. If a teacher was heard as saying that child "A" gets free lunches, they would be subject to dismissal or for that matter any reference to the economic status of a particular student.

I would have been embarassed to accept free lunches in those days.

when your parents are drunk and you're hungry.. embarrassment over who bought your lunch isn't really on your mind...

on the reservation,.. and ghettos.. breakfast and lunch are often the only meals many children see..

often the government help is not is not a solution, but just another part of the problem..

while it varies from state to state,.. often the amount of food stamps is more them what most working families spend on groceries.. if the parent is not working.. they get more.. if a parent tries.. they get less help..

so a parent who sits on the couch, does drugs/drinks and often is to stoned or drunk to feed their kids.. gets more help then a struggling family..

is that really helping the children?

I'm with you, as I said earlier, help the kids, make it so the parents can't take advantage of the help we're trying to give innocent children. Probably too much of an order.

If these parents are not responsible enough to provide food for their children with food stamps provided to them, is it in the children's best interest to leave them in that home? These programs are great for struggling families that are trying to get back on their feet. But on the other hand when a good for nothing lives off them and teaches their starving children how to work the system for booze and drug money is that any good for society as a whole? Drug testing should be mandated for all those registered to recieve government assistance and random spot checks on the condition of the homes should go along with the drug tests. If the parents are positive for drugs and the home is a mess they are cut off until things are cleaned If they care for their childrens safety they will see to it there is food on the table.

Latest posts