• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Got this in an email:

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART, THIS IS MIND-BOGGLING??

I was blown away by these mind-boggling statistics on Wal-Mart!

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day
(March 17th) than Target sells all year.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears +Costco +
K-Mart combined.
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in
mind they did this in only 15 years.
8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy
(including Winn-Dixie).
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are
SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a
Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion).
12. 90% of Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart

Just imagine how much more they would make if they had more then one of the twenty tills in the store opened. :?

:shock: LOL,good question,one I have no idea the answer to,have always called the check-outs a till.Anybody??????????

Mrs.Greg said:
:shock: LOL,good question,one I have no idea the answer to,have always called the check-outs a till.Anybody??????????

Sounds to me like you been spending a little too much time down in the Pub concentrating on your Bumdarts game-- thats what I always hear there or at the coffee shop-- "Ring it up in the till" or "Leave it on the till".... :wink: :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Mrs Greg....I know what you meant by "if they had more than 1 of the 20 tills" but.......why do you call it a till?.....we call it a check out line LOL

My boss's wife went and bought groceries at Walmart one day about 10 am. The only line open was the express lane for 10 items or less. My boss's wife had well over the the 10 items. When she asked why only the express line was open the person working the register told her she "needed to buy her groceries in the afternoon or evening, like everyone else". When the register person said that she left her cart full of stuff right there in the line and left. Don't think she's been back either.

Oldtimer said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Sounds to me like you been spending a little too much time down in the Pub concentrating on your Bumdarts game-- thats what I always hear there or at the coffee shop-- "Ring it up in the till" or "Leave it on the till".... :wink: :lol:
UHHHH HUHHHH,YOU call it a till too AND you also have no idea why :lol: :lol: :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
My guess would be......You been standin there forever "TILL" they finally get to you".....

(ya know....cuz of that one line bein the only one open) LOL

Thats as good as I can think of... :roll: the word relates to the cash register till box-- but I have no idea how they got the word till...

Thanks Mrs. Greg---Now I'll be searching and asking until I find out- cause it'll keep bugging me until I do.... :wink: :lol:

From Wikpediea

A cash register (also called a till) is a mechanical or electronic device for calculating and recording sales transactions, and an attached cash drawer for storing currency. The cash register also usually prints a receipt for the customer.

I called it a Till but could tell you why.

Till might have something to do with the machine, not the clerk?

I wonder how many of the "stats" are accurate. Take 36 million divide by 24 = 1.5 million divide by 60 equals 25,000 . Points say they make 20928 in profit each minute...That would be over 81% profit on every dollar.

Mrs.Greg said:
Just imagine how much more they would make if they had more then one of the twenty tills in the store opened. :?
My wife and I where at the local Wall-mart this week ( could not find what we needed at C-tire ) They had 3 of 15 TILLS working but also had 4 self checkouts on the go that had a steady stream of customers going through them. Wanta bet next time we go they have 2 of 15 Tills working and 6 self checkouts :wink: Or maybe 1 of 15 Tills and 8 self checkouts :eek: :eek: Gotta get rid of those employees there costing them money :!:

It seems from several posts, and my memories, that 'till' is an OLD name for the cash register and/or whatever equipment was previously used to hold the proceeds from sales. But why/how did that come about? Sort of a brain teaser, isn't it?

mrj

Latest posts