• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How cold is it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Weather report just updated and we should drop to -13F tonight with 30 to 50 MPH winds.

All schools in the area are closed tomorrow except the schools in Indianapolis will open from 11:00 AM till 1:00 PM to feed children that want to come.

Windchills at -50F and below - - - police are trying to round up homeless people and take them indoors.

I doubt my mule can get up enough heat to fart!!!!

The long range forecast does not get up to freezing for the next 10 days. I am so sick of this global warming!

I read somewhere that Sask was colder than Mars last winter.
This past week reminds me of last winter.
Glad to have some shelter to park the animals behind.
Somebody turn off that fan!

Pretty nice here today. Well above freezing at our west place and right on the melting point at the farm. Much better winter this year than last.

Faster horses said:
It has warmed up here to 25 degrees at 10:30 pm. Warmer than it has been all day.

Same thing happened here yesterday, sat at -20C/4belowF mid-afternoon and then warmed up to -15C/4F by evening. It's up a degree or two this morning but we could do without the wind.

Because we sold the calves already, the cows can get into the barn for better shelter, at least.

Come on April!

burnt said:
Faster horses said:
It has warmed up here to 25 degrees at 10:30 pm. Warmer than it has been all day.

Same thing happened here yesterday, sat at -20C/4belowF mid-afternoon and then warmed up to -15C/4F by evening. It's up a degree or two this morning but we could do without the wind.

Because we sold the calves already, the cows can get into the barn for better shelter, at least.

Come on April!

We are experiencing a Chinook as I type this. It has really cut the snow.
Temperature is 37 degrees with 15 mph winds; gusts up to 40 mph.

Had a shortlived Chinook yesterday afternoon & into part of the evening, went from -17C to +6C. This morning is gray with some light snow & back down to -17 C. Ther`s a wind out of the north @ 50K which drops the temp down to -29C. No relief for the next several days.

Made a trip from Bozeman to Miles City on Tuesday. When I left Bozeman at 11:30 it was about 40 and then was warmer as I got to Livingston. About 15 miles east of Livingston I looked at my car thermometer - 63. 5 miles later - 14. Car thermometer looked like an oven timer the way it was counting down.

All the way up to +4F now and should go into the teens for overnight.

As long as the wind lays it is not to bad but 30 MPH winds with 50 MPH gusts will take the breath out of you!

canadian angus said:
Laugh at the southern folks, part of raising cattle in the real north!

CA

Now why would you say that? Come down here next August...heat is just part of raising cattle in the south. :wink:

TexasBred said:
canadian angus said:

CA

Now why would you say that? Come down here next August...heat is just part of raising cattle in the south. :wink:

Some don't realize we all have our challenges, Heat,cold, urbanization and remoteness

I hate the bit of mud we get in the spring and sure don't envy the poor guys that fight with it for months.

TexasBred said:
canadian angus said:

CA

Would love too, afraid up here about four hours north of Big Muddy we have 90 days to make and store feed for the rest of the year. Right now we have had a twenty five mph wind and twenty five below. Waters have to be checked twice a day, three hundred cows away from the yard and they are licking snow.

We don't have the option to leave and let the critters fend for them selves, it is a twenty four seven job but still love it. Wasn't poking at anyone in particular but do find it funny when a little frost upsets the apple cart!

CA

Big Muddy rancher said:
TexasBred said:
canadian angus said:

CA

Some don't realize we all have our challenges, Heat,cold, urbanization and remoteness

I hate the bit of mud we get in the spring and sure don't envy the poor guys that fight with it for months.

There ya go, talking about me again.............

Kinda need that mud to make hay. :wink:

canadian angus said:
TexasBred said:
canadian angus said:

CA

Would love too, afraid up here about four hours north of Big Muddy we have 90 days to make and store feed for the rest of the year. Right now we have had a twenty five mph wind and twenty five below. Waters have to be checked twice a day, three hundred cows away from the yard and they are licking snow.

We don't have the option to leave and let the critters fend for them selves, it is a twenty four seven job but still love it. Wasn't poking at anyone in particular but do find it funny when a little frost upsets the apple cart!

CA

Yeah I get a kick out of the tourist bytching about the heat down here. IN reality we often only have 90 days to make feed as well. Water freezes at 32 degrees so we have to check ponds, waterers, hay supplies, milk cows 3 times a day and keep them alive when it's 105+ in the shade. I lived with 800 dairy cows for longer than I like to remember so I too am aware that it's a 24/7/ job. Frost I don't mind. :wink:

We hit 50F here today. Spooky dry after a nice wet fall. Snowed 8 inches 5 days ago and was normal for the time of year temp wise with highs in the 20's and lows around -7. Sitting at 47% of moisture for the year. Sure need snow here. Dang desert :?

Latest posts