• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How Cold is it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
When I turn the scale on the mixer wagon on it shows "HELLO" then displays the weight of the load.

This morning when turned on it just said"HELL" and would show any weight :shock: :cry2: :cowboy:

We are supposed to be below 0F every night for the next 8 days - - - cattle and dogs all seem to be fine - - - dogs stay outside if I get it much above +50F in the kennel but with the radiant in floor hear 50 at eye level is about a 75 degree floor - - - the south end of each run is on an unheated floor so they can lay in their comfort zone.

I have an infrared thermoter and they lay where it is about 60 to 65 except for the young ones that lay in the 75 degree zone. Every run has a "doggy door" with large outside runs - - - PETA keeps running ads saying dogs have to be inside if below 40 - - - they do not realise God put dogs here to survive mother nature unless man messes things up!

Big Muddy rancher said:
When I turn the scale on the mixer wagon on it shows "HELLO" then displays the weight of the load.

This morning when turned on it just said"HELL" and would show any weight :shock: :cry2: :cowboy:

So---is it froze over?

run maximum traximum --and studded---on one feed pickup---just about have to chain up....

So cold the politicians have their hands in their own pockets.

-42 here this morning.

10 below, 22 below and 24 below all (F) the next three mornings, currently 4 below. This is in Central Iowa with a decent snow pack.

Not too cold here yet. 14 I think. Houses, vehicles, etc are much better than they used to be. I'm glad for the comforts we do have. Silver that's nuts.

Here on a spot just over 30 miles from Kadoka (to the southwest), Murdo (mostly east and a bit south) and Philip (west and a bit north), it was -38.8 degrees about 3AM this morning. Yesterday never got above about -5%, but the sun is shining and it LOOKS nice. We do have about 4 inches of fluffy snow, so are thankful there is no wind.

It's been a lot of years since we have gotten this cold, but it was even colder in our record year of 1936 when -56% was the low, and a +122 was the high in the summer. I've stated this before, but Shorty's dad always said he (born in July of 1936) was the only thing that grew on this ranch that year. His mother testified that those days before air conditioning made a summer pregnancy awfully miserable!
A real benefit of being old on a family ranch is that we are sitting, sort of warm, in our living room watching the Rose Bowl while some younger members of our homegrown crew are out caking and watering cows!

mrj

I had a hfr calve last night at midnight, I had 5 early bred hfrs(Mistake) I just put them in corral the day before and was checking them, wouldn't have lasted long at -40.
Of course the hfr wants to be snuffy.

I'm feeling really embarrassed about this. I'm freezen" my butt off and it's only 50° here right now. Was 38 early this morning. Drove out to the ranch yesterday to make sure the girls had hay and put out a few cubes. Turned the water off and drained the pipes and filled the fish feeders. I guess I'm about as ready as I can get. Don't know how you folks up North survive. Yea, I know, it's a dry cold but I gotta tell you -50° is -50° no matter what the humidity. Stay warm and hope yaw'll have a great new year.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I had a hfr calve last night at midnight, I had 5 early bred hfrs(Mistake) I just put them in corral the day before and was checking them, wouldn't have lasted long at -40.

When they are like that, they only seem to get worse with age. George could tell you what to do with her. :D
Glad you saved the calf, though!

6 this morning and 16 now west of San Angelo. We don't know how to function in this kind of weather. Had a bit of ice last night but at least today high clouds and no wind today.

Faster horses said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

When they are like that, they only seem to get worse with age. George could tell you what to do with her. :D
Glad you saved the calf, though!

She will probably calve in the hills from now on and won't be a bother.

-5 this morning already 0 currently. Awful cold for our area but I've seen colder. The -25 wind chill was a little rough earlier.

22F tonight. Should just get down in the mid teens all week. Trouble is we are 13% of normal on our snowpack. No snow at all, all winter here. :( Spooky dry. Another interesting year on the desert. Hope it warms up for ya'll. Happy New Year.

Ok I know my cold is y'alls heat wave but I've had enough. Had a negative windchill this morning and that's something we don't often have. Like every 20-30 years. Coldest real temp I remember was 2°. We seldom have teens or single digits.
Might get to 9 tonight.
Like I said, I've had enough. Y'all take this back.

Latest posts