• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How Cold is it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I was born in Missouri. When we would go back in the winter, 40 degrees was colder than zero in Wyoming, where I grew up.
It's the humidity in the south that makes winter seem much colder there than the thermometer reads. I can't imagine negative wind chill in the south. That would be bitter cold and would go right through you! Wind gets us in the north too, but 20 degrees, no wind
and sunny, we can wear shirt sleeves (almost). :D

Last year was the warmest winter of my life. Had 3 cold days. Very unusual.
One of them was sunny, no wind and real dry air. The kind we never get. Was below 20 somewhat and was nice and pleasant. The next day was 35 and wet air, froze to death almost.
I couldn't believe the diffrence.
Right now it's 14°, 52% humidity and 10mph nne wind.
We usually have over 70% humidity even in winter. The north wind has it down now.
Feels like 1°

We are warming up a bit but you wouldn't know it as the wind is up like a "Screaming' Banshee". Just walked out to check the hfrs and it's not very nice out there.

It warmed up 78 degrees F from midnight Dec 31 to 2:00 PM Jan 1. Quite balmy now right around the freezing mark.

It got down to -17F last night - - - This time of year I make room in the basement garage for the skid steer - - - still in the mid 40s with no heat - - - starts easily and the heater starts putting out heat very quickly

Faster horses said:
I was born in Missouri. When we would go back in the winter, 40 degrees was colder than zero in Wyoming, where I grew up.
It's the humidity in the south that makes winter seem much colder there than the thermometer reads. I can't imagine negative wind chill in the south. That would be bitter cold and would go right through you! Wind gets us in the north too, but 20 degrees, no wind
and sunny, we can wear shirt sleeves (almost). :D
thank you for mentioning this. I think the other day it was 83% humidity and 23°. You talk about a damp cold that can get to your bones.

I waited till it was about -7F before I went out to feed this morning - - - bright and sunny with no wind - - - not to bad out - - - it's all the way up to +7F now and the weather man says it will top out about +11F today - - - the 8 day forcast shows next monday getting up to +35F

Looks like Trump fixed global warming with less than a year in office.

Wind chill was -3 when we started feeding this morning.
Again I know that's nice weather for a lot of y'all but it's not for here. On the bright side though all the mud is gone and the sickness is going away. I'd actually be better off if it stayed below freezing for a month. Only a little of my water isn't made for handling this. Most is though.

Latest posts