• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How did all the animosity get started?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pointrider

Reaction score
You know, folks, the more I read on this web site, and the more I think about it, the more confused I get. How did all the animosity between the U.S. ranchers and the Canadian ranchers get started?

If a feeder or a packer in the U.S. wants to buy some cattle from a Canadian producer, should that producer refuse to sell his cattle "to protect the U.S. cattle business?"

What if the shoe were on the other foot? What if a feeder or packer in Canada wanted to buy cattle from a U.S. producer, should the U.S. producer refuse to sell his cattle to protect the Canadian industry?

Either way, I'm sure the producer (Canadian or U.S.) would not have sold his cattle unless it was the highest bid. If it costs less to produce calves profitably in Canada and the highest bid for cattle in Canada is lower than what cattle are selling for in the northern U.S., is that the fault of the Canadian producer? You might say that it is, in fact, "his fault" that he can produce at a lower cost, but show me any producer anywhere who purposely produces at a higher cost than is necessary. No, he is just doing what comes naturally.

So what is going on here? How did all of this get started? And, more importantly, in my opinion, how is it going to end? The BEEF INDUSTRY is at stake. :(

pointrider said:
You know, folks, the more I read on this web site, and the more I think about it, the more confused I get. How did all the animosity between the U.S. ranchers and the Canadian ranchers get started?

If a feeder or a packer in the U.S. wants to buy some cattle from a Canadian producer, should that producer refuse to sell his cattle "to protect the U.S. cattle business?"

What if the shoe were on the other foot? What if a feeder or packer in Canada wanted to buy cattle from a U.S. producer, should the U.S. producer refuse to sell his cattle to protect the Canadian industry?

Either way, I'm sure the producer (Canadian or U.S.) would not have sold his cattle unless it was the highest bid. If it costs less to produce calves profitably in Canada and the highest bid for cattle in Canada is lower than what cattle are selling for in the northern U.S., is that the fault of the Canadian producer? You might say that it is, in fact, "his fault" that he can produce at a lower cost, but show me any producer anywhere who purposely produces at a higher cost than is necessary. No, he is just doing what comes naturally.

So what is going on here? How did all of this get started? And, more importantly, in my opinion, how is it going to end? The BEEF INDUSTRY is at stake. :(

I think you will see things settle now pointrider,IM not gonna waste a lot of time retyping how the big three control 80% of the market and use captive supplies to manipulate markets,there are many cattle men that never blamed most canadians for trying to be the best they could be.I am on more than one talk forum stating I dont support the border closing,I believe anyone that thought the border was gonna be closed permanetly was only fooling himself.Now maybe we can get on with the real problems the cattle man is facing,"CAFTA" "M COOL"and the "captive supply reform act"..............good luck PS I would have liked to see the export markets regained first,but that's a moot point now, we go forward.

I sure agree with that whole "lowest cost producer" thing. Definatly in Canada cows are selling for near nothing and man, if anyone has any cash, including any Americans, now would be the time to buy them (border issues aside). Incidentally, I for one will certainly take the highest bid for any of my calves on any day from any country and hopefully will have enough left to pay our ever skyrocketing property taxes pushed ever higher from retireing business people wanting the "western way of life" not necessarily the unbelieveable "profits" in raising cattle!!!!! LOL!!!
Of course, all you regulars know me well by now and can hear the sarcasm in my typing. Being a "lower cost producer" doesn't always pay. Absolutly, we all want to purchase our goods as cheaply as we can, but our standard of living in "North America" including housing, transportation, and wages compared to what consumers are prepared to pay for their beef (especially since Brazil is willing and capable of producing it far less than we all can ) may very quickly end beef production as we know it, or who knows, altogether in our lifetimes. Just my two cents. Have a good day all and thanks for reading from Canada!

Latest posts