• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How did the beef industry become so divided?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
In 1998, R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) was established as a foundation to represent and file three trade investigation cases on behalf of the U.S. cattle industry.



Throughout that process, R-CALF USA found that concerns of U.S. cattle producers were not being represented well in Washington, D.C., so in 1999, R-CALF USA expanded to a non-profit membership organization for cattle producers and independent feeders, with a mission to represent them on domestic and international trade and marketing issues to ensure the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. National headquarters are in Billings, Mont.



Today, R-CALF USA is the fastest growing national cattle association with more than 18000 members consisting primarily of cow/calf operators, cattle backgrounders and feedlot owners across 46 states. The organization has more than 60 local and state affiliates, both from cattle and farm organizations. Various main-street businesses are associate members.



R-CALF USA’s membership has grown by 35 percent to 50 percent annually in response to R-CALF USA’s representation of the industry on issues such as trade, country-of-origin labeling, and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). One year ago, membership totaled 8,100. New memberships are arriving daily, and R-CALF USA expects its growth to continue.



Calf sales for 2004 brought in approximately $475,000 in donations to R-CALF USA. From January 1 to March 31, 2005, hard-working producers have hosted enough calf sales to generate $886,000 in just the first quarter of this year, and the organization is tremendously grateful for such a strong showing of support.

Voting members must own cattle, and if in good standing, they are entitled to vote by mail-in ballot each spring on issues from the annual convention, which members are not required to attend to have voting rights. R-CALF USA’s policy is one member/one vote. Associate members do not own cattle and do not have voting rights. Members are notified of election results in the R-CALF USA newsletter or magazine.



Membership to R-CALF USA is $50 per year, per member. Many members contribute well beyond the membership dues.



R-CALF USA has been very careful to advance issues important to U.S. cattle producers in a non-partisan manner. R-CALF USA does not align itself with any political party, nor does it endorse political candidates. To do so would endanger R-CALF USA’s ability to effectively promote policy issues that benefit the economic interests of its grassroots members. The issues important to the future economic well being of our industry cross both philosophical and political lines. Those issues are not distinguishable as Republican or Democrat issues, and neither as conservative nor liberal issues. R-CALF USA members have worked hard to educate congressional members from both parties on the need to adopt meaningful market and trade reforms to ensure the economic strength of independent cattle producers who increasingly operate in a concentrated marketing structure and a global economy.



For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.







2) How did the beef industry become so divided?



The U.S. beef industry is divided into several distinct industry segments, collectively referred to as the beef supply chain. This beef supply chain includes cattle producers and feeders, meatpackers and processors, importers and exporters, and wholesalers and retailers. Together these industry segments are integral partners who share a common interest in maintaining a viable and profitable beef supply chain. However, each of these segments also has an economic interest that is oftentimes in direct competition with the economic interests of the other industry partners. It is this continuing competition over the differing economic interests of the various industry segments that makes the beef industry a dynamic and tremendously successful industry in the United States.



In recognition of the intense competition over the differing economic interests that exist within the various segments of the beef supply chain, each segment has formed national organizations to effectively represent their unique economic interests so they can more effectively compete among and between their beef industry partners. For example:



The Food Marketing Institute and the Grocery Manufacturers of America represent the exclusive interests of wholesalers and retailers.



The Meat Importers Council of America and the Food Distributors International represent the exclusive interests of importers and exporters.



The American Meat Institute and the National Meat Association represent the exclusive interests of meatpackers and processors.



Prior to the mid-‘90s the National Cattlemen’s Association (NCA) was the only national association representing the exclusive interests of live cattle producers. But when the NCA merged with other segments of the beef industry, live cattle producers lost their exclusive, national voice. This placed the live cattle industry at a distinct disadvantage in the continuing competition that exists within the beef supply chain.



In 1999, R-CALF USA was formed to fill the void left when the NCA abandoned its role of exclusively representing the economic interests of live cattle producers. Since 1999, R-CALF USA has grown to become the largest and only national association that exclusively represents the interests of U.S. live cattle producers.



As a result of the re-establishment of a strong, national organization that exclusively represents the interests of live cattle producers, a new balance is now being struck in the competition among and between the various segments of the beef industry. What some segments are calling “divisiveness” within the beef industry is really a rebalancing of the relative strength of the each of the industry’s various segments. R-CALF USA’s elevation of the live cattle producer’s interests is forcing other beef industry partners to give up the advantages they enjoyed while cattle producers were not adequately represented. This rebalancing has created a change that is not easy for other beef industry segments to take. However, the industry will now be better served because no longer will the better-represented segments – the meatpackers, processors, importers, exporters, wholesalers, and retailers – be able to exercise undue influence over policy issues that are adverse to the interests of live cattle producers.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,067
Reaction score
285
Location
Big Muddy valley
So your saying that the conception of R-CALF has fragmented the beef industry. Another statement that I agree with. Geez Haymaker your on a roll this morning. Your really coming around. :cowboy:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Big Muddy rancher said:
So your saying that the conception of R-CALF has fragmented the beef industry. Another statement that I agree with. Geez Haymaker your on a roll this morning. Your really coming around. :cowboy:

Big Muddy- How about taking it one step further-- the formation of NCBA fragmented the cattle industry...NCBA's belief that you could effectively represent all levels of the beef industry left the cattle industry with no one representing them--Packers and retailers already had their own organizations and now NCBA too-- cattlemen had no one except NCBA which was also trying to play packer backer- didn't work- too many conflicts of interest.....R-CALF came about because of the fact there was no organization to represent just the US cattle industry........
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
So your saying that the conception of R-CALF has fragmented the beef industry. Another statement that I agree with. Geez Haymaker your on a roll this morning. Your really coming around. :cowboy:

Big Muddy- How about taking it one step further-- the formation of NCBA fragmented the cattle industry...NCBA's belief that you could effectively represent all levels of the beef industry left the cattle industry with no one representing them--Packers and retailers already had their own organizations and now NCBA too-- cattlemen had no one except NCBA which was also trying to play packer backer- didn't work- too many conflicts of interest.....R-CALF came about because of the fact there was no organization to represent just the US cattle industry........

OT, you certainly must know that NCBA policy is set by the members who are owners of live cattle, with cow/calf/stocker producers being a large majority of those members.

To state otherwise is dishonest.

NCBA does not represent packers and retailers, though we do work with them to gain a better understanding of one anothers' businesses and hopes for the cattle/beef industry.

R-CALF came about because some people lied to ranchers about NCBA. It is as simple as that in the states where R-CALF was born. Unfortunately, ill-informed ranchers looking for someone to blame for the ills of the catt;e business were easy to convince!

MRJ
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
MRJ, you must certainly know that the policies set by members who are owners of live cattle, with cow/calf/stocker producers being a large majority of those members can and have recently been not only disregarded, but completely reversed in a very short time by leadership.

However, you don't have to take a R-CALF member's word, you can verify thru actual NCBA members. Ask the Independent Cattlemen of Texas.
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Sandhusker said:
MRJ, you must certainly know that the policies set by members who are owners of live cattle, with cow/calf/stocker producers being a large majority of those members can and have recently been not only disregarded, but completely reversed in a very short time by leadership.

However, you don't have to take a R-CALF member's word, you can verify thru actual NCBA members. Ask the Independent Cattlemen of Texas.

Sorry, Sandhusker, maybe you should ask the members who outvoted the Texans on the conference call that GAVE THE LEADERS AUTHORITY to take the action they took on that issue. IMO, the Texans should have kept that disagreement in-house, but they chose to go public to get even with members who did not do as the Texans wanted. Not fair play, in my book.

MRJ
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
How many of the producers who voted for the initiative were on the conference call that reversed it?
 

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Sandhusker, what happened to the Montana delegation who lead the effort to have the NCBA pass the 11 point resolution? They must have been left out of the conference call as well.
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Sandhusker said:
How many of the producers who voted for the initiative were on the conference call that reversed it?

Enough of them! Proper procedures were followed. The action taken by the leadership was legal. Time to get over it and move on. NCBA is working for the cattle producer members on far too many issues to get hung up on any one of them.

I understand you and your friends have done your best to stir up trouble over this issue........and your failure has to be tough to accept.

MRJ
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:
How many of the producers who voted for the initiative were on the conference call that reversed it?

Enough of them! Proper procedures were followed. The action taken by the leadership was legal. Time to get over it and move on. NCBA is working for the cattle producer members on far too many issues to get hung up on any one of them.

I understand you and your friends have done your best to stir up trouble over this issue........and your failure has to be tough to accept.

MRJ

MRJ- To quote your son, SH.. "We want proof"-- not just your biased word :wink: :lol: :lol: Must be some conference minutes- and a list of those that were polled- and the final vote count.....

Or doesn't NCBA keep official records :???:
 

mrj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2005
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
1
Location
SD
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
Sandhusker said:
How many of the producers who voted for the initiative were on the conference call that reversed it?

Enough of them! Proper procedures were followed. The action taken by the leadership was legal. Time to get over it and move on. NCBA is working for the cattle producer members on far too many issues to get hung up on any one of them.

I understand you and your friends have done your best to stir up trouble over this issue........and your failure has to be tough to accept.

MRJ

MRJ- To quote your son, SH.. "We want proof"-- not just your biased word :wink: :lol: :lol: Must be some conference minutes- and a list of those that were polled- and the final vote count.....

Or doesn't NCBA keep official records :???:

OT, as I've told SH, if I wanted a fourth son, I would pick him. However, he obviously has great parents and isn't in need of another set.

There probably are minutes of that meeting......however, what business is it of yours if you are not a member?

And don't you have a lot of gall? Asking for "proof" of anything! Good grief.......the absolute lies you post about NCBA with not a shred of "proof"! You, a former lawman.......absolutely amazing!

MRJ
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Enough of them? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Is "enough" the term used in the bylaws? :lol:

Exactly what do the producers of this "producer - driven" organization have to do to make their initiatives stand against leadership declaring "enough" has been followed and "enough" of them have voted to reverse? How many of those members who voted for the resolution even KNEW of the conference call, let alone were privy to it?

How can you still claim NCBA is "producer-driven" when it is obvious leadership has "proper chanels" to reverse policy set by the producers in a very short period of time? That makes the term "producer-driven" a hallucination.
 

Econ101

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,060
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
Sandhusker said:
Enough of them? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Is "enough" the term used in the bylaws? :lol:

Exactly what do the producers of this "producer - driven" organization have to do to make their initiatives stand against leadership declaring "enough" has been followed and "enough" of them have voted to reverse? How many of those members who voted for the resolution even KNEW of the conference call, let alone were privy to it?

How can you still claim NCBA is "producer-driven" when it is obvious leadership has "proper chanels" to reverse policy set by the producers in a very short period of time? That makes the term "producer-driven" a hallucination.

Maybe ILLUSION is the word.
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
You are correct, Econ, ILLUSION is a much better choice in this example.

Leadership decrees "enough" and membership's policies are reversed - but we are to believe it is "producer driven"? :shock: David Copperfield's job is safe.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
MRJ said:
Oldtimer said:
MRJ said:
Enough of them! Proper procedures were followed. The action taken by the leadership was legal. Time to get over it and move on. NCBA is working for the cattle producer members on far too many issues to get hung up on any one of them.

I understand you and your friends have done your best to stir up trouble over this issue........and your failure has to be tough to accept.

MRJ

MRJ- To quote your son, SH.. "We want proof"-- not just your biased word :wink: :lol: :lol: Must be some conference minutes- and a list of those that were polled- and the final vote count.....

Or doesn't NCBA keep official records :???:

OT, as I've told SH, if I wanted a fourth son, I would pick him. However, he obviously has great parents and isn't in need of another set.

There probably are minutes of that meeting......however, what business is it of yours if you are not a member?

And don't you have a lot of gall? Asking for "proof" of anything! Good grief.......the absolute lies you post about NCBA with not a shred of "proof"! You, a former lawman.......absolutely amazing!

MRJ

MRJ- In other words you don't have any proof... You don't even know if what you said is true because NCBA didn't publish any record-- Isn't that right MRJ?

You have taught your SH.. well- when you are caught in a hole, call people names and turn the finger back at them-- but it does nothing to prove the credibility of your beloved group....
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Old Timer: "You have taught your SH.. well- when you are caught in a hole, call people names and turn the finger back at them--.."


1. When have I ever been caught in a hole?

BRING IT!

2. When have you ever corrected me with facts to the contrary?

BRING IT!


You will bring nothing because you are just another cheap talker.



~SH~
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
~SH~ said:
Old Timer: "You have taught your SH.. well- when you are caught in a hole, call people names and turn the finger back at them--.."


1. When have I ever been caught in a hole?

BRING IT!

2. When have you ever corrected me with facts to the contrary?

BRING IT!


You will bring nothing because you are just another cheap talker.



~SH~


Well looks to me like between Sandhusker, Econ 101, and ocm, they've had you up a tree or down a hole for the last several months....I don't think I can remember a post where you answered a straight question and didn't put down a full page of name calling and pastes trying to twist the question around...

But I like it- As I commended you for before- you have been one of R-CALF's best recruiters :wink:

Now I need to go try and finish combining.....
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
We have polled the board enough to prove,without a doubt sh** could'nt find his own but in an out house,Im tired of listening to his squaw talk...................good luck
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Old Timer,

I'll ask you once again, what issue have I been corrected on with facts to the contrary?

Bring the proof!



~SH~
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
SH, "1. When have I ever been caught in a hole? BRING IT! "

My, my, my, how short of a memory you have. I've got you in a hole right now with a statement you made; "That doesn't circumvent the fact that their NW U.S. plants were losing money which more than offset the gains in Canada."

I believe you owe me $100 as you bet you could prove it, but have not. When can I expect the check?
 

Latest posts

Top