• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HOW DO I..first tie a boline.....get that calf to the ground

Help Support Ranchers.net:

crayon

Reaction score
HI, I once learned how to get that calf to lie right down. One rope, and three loops around the body some how placed........I even diagramed it for future use .....it is future now and I can't remember exactly how we use to do this. we were kids and and an old cowhand taught us how to get that calf to lay right down for vacinations and stuff.
I believe we had the calf haltered to a post and then used a soft cotton rope and tied it some how about his body.....
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER HOW TO DO THIS>
I have grand kids now and I thought my cow years were over 38 years back, wrong. Please respond. Pat

Way we used to and still do on occasion. . . .loop around the neck with a SQUARE knot. . ..bring rope back to right behind front legs and thow over back - bring around under belly. . .and half hitch rope. . .take straight back to flank and repeat (over top -under belly) and half hitch. . .. then PULL

The half hitchs and rope should be about 6 inches down from top of back. .

Apply a good pull to the rope behind the calf and they will go to the ground. It is a good idea to have one person keep pressure on this rope and another put a loop on the ground side front foot and hold it off the ground. If a bovine can,t get the foot under them they can't get up.

bjb-iowa said:
Way we used to and still do on occasion. . . .loop around the neck with a SQUARE knot. . ..bring rope back to right behind front legs and thow over back - bring around under belly. . .and half hitch rope. . .take straight back to flank and repeat (over top -under belly) and half hitch. . .. then PULL

The half hitchs and rope should be about 6 inches down from top of back. .

Apply a good pull to the rope behind the calf and they will go to the ground. It is a good idea to have one person keep pressure on this rope and another put a loop on the ground side front foot and hold it off the ground. If a bovine can,t get the foot under them they can't get up.

Dad called this "casting" a critter. He and I dropped a bull who weighed about 1800 pounds, at least, and trimmed his feet. 'Course the bull was fairly gentle. :) I was about 10 at the time and I held the rope snug while dad trimmed the feet.

We tied a bowline around the neck tho', not a square knot. Otherwise, pretty much the same.

I haven't done this in many years, but an old time vet showed me how to do it a little bit different.

Put the center of the rope over the neck of the animal. Then thread each end of the rope between the front legs going across to the opposite side. This will make an X between the front legs. Next, bring each rope over and across the back, making another X over the back. Now thread each rope end between the back legs, crossing again and making another X like you did in the front.

With two people pulling to the side in the direction that keeps the "X" intact, the animal will crumple up and fall sideways fairly easily. This will allow one person to get on a front leg to tie the animal up for whatever procedure is indicated.

It works really well. I'm sure the "half hitch" method would work equally as well.

Latest posts