• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How does one keep the neighbors bull out of ones pasture?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

There are a couple of ways I know of personally to deal with neighbors buul that wont stay home
1. 3 or good biting dogs will require some fence work but everytime you see it hiss the dogs on. Does wonders

2. Lowd a 22 pistol with snake shot everytime you get in range blast him with the pistol wont kill but will sure make him move when he turns to face you shhot him in the nose (be carefull of the eyes)

Brand laws do work I dont know how people get by that dont brand. Well good luck.
Adios

About 30 years ago I had a problem with a bull from a neighbor, he was in his 70s ( the neighbor, not the bull ) :D and while he tried he was not able to fully care for his animals. :( He had started his "herd" by buying bottle calves and raising them. The inbreeding was extreme and he would let everything run together at all times. :( He had three grown boys living in trailers on the farm but they were not interested in anything that resembled work. :( I ended up renting his farm ground and taking care of the cattle. He would not let me get rid of the cows he had hand raised but I provided good bulls, grouped the cattle and sold his calves each year.

As time went by one of the grandsons came to work for me :D and took an interest. :D When the man died he left the farm to the grandson - - - some hard feelings :( but not to bad and I have a good neighbor who has one of the best angus herds in this part. :D :D :D

This was a case of a rouge bull causing a friendship - - - the Lord works in misterious ways :D :!:

Mike said:
Alabama said:
How does one keep the neighbors bull out of ones pasture?

The closest pasture to a pasture of registered Angus is about a ¼ mile through the woods. This is the fourth time this Limousine bull has made the trip in a year or so. When he was caught this time he tore up the catch pin gate. The neighbor does not seem to offer any solution to keeping his bull in. What can be done to keep this bull out without paying a fine of going to jail?

About 5 years ago a registered angus breeder up the road from me had a neighbors beefmaster bull in her pasture several times during breeding season. The angus breeder made several "reasonable" attempts to keep the bull out of her pasture because fences are to keep animals out as well as in.
She penned the bull and delivered it to the stockyard along with an amount of damages including hiring a vet to lutalyse the heifers that could have been bred. The stockyard held the bull until a settlement could be worked out.
It took 2 years for the case to make it through court and the infringing bulls' owner had to pay for all damages plus 2 years of board for the bull.

This case set a precedence in State law and is on the books as "Hall vs. Parrish".

I had a neighbors bull in my pasture one morning last year and put him in the barn then called the State Livestock and Brands to report it. They told me that I could sell the bull if no one could "positively" identify the bull.
A "visual" identification would not be good enough. I called the neighbor and asked him if he could positively identify the bull, telling him that the visual would not suffice. He called the sherriff on me and attempted to have me arrested and could not.

To make a long story short, you can cause the owner enough grief that he will keep the bull in his pasture but it will cause hard feelings between neighbors. Just depends on whether you want to p*** him off or not.

I know this post is fairly old and I do not know if you will see this. I was just doing a legal research paper for college and came across this post. I am doing my paper on the liability the owner of a bull has if it gets into a neighbor's pasture. I have been trying to find the Hall V Parrish case and cannot find it any where. It would be a great help to my research. I was just wondering if you knew where to find it or the citation it was filed under.

Haul it to the local sale barn and tell them u don't know who's it is. He will have to come get it from the sale barn and pay a fee, and it is embarrassing as hell..... :? :? :?

Had the same this situation this summer. I understand we are in cattle country and this schimdt is gonna happen. I understand ol Billy's just doing what God intended him to do (Go forth and multiply). I understand it will be MY bull that takes a stroll one day so find a solution instead of retaliation . But what burns my bacon is the indifference that the owner has about getting him out. "he's a jumper....not much I can do..." Guess he thought a Longhorn would be a good cross on my PB Herefords??? Kinda funny though, weeks after the alleged "execution" date with the butcher had passed, I'm out checking my cows beside our OTHER neighbours quarter and our old boy is at the fence roarin, tearin up the dirt and calling the neighbours Charolais bull out to discuss once again who's the boss, and who should come sauntering out through the bush instead? None other than ol' Lucky the Longhorn. Wonder what that cross will look like. I'll send ya some pics next March.
Geeze.............................

Latest posts