• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How High?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky said:
Wondering if anyone has any new input, and if you do it with baby calves too, like at branding

I watched the video again. The ideal sorting gate would allow you to choose how many bottom rails to swing out of the way for sorting calves at different times of the year and sizes. So, I am thinking the bottom three rails would be collared independently over the main gate frame. If you showed this to Joe Coehlo (They do the pipe rail fencing out of NW Livestock Commission in Hermiston), I think he could custom build such a gate.

As important would be getting a handle on the cattle. Cattle that are used to being worked and let by and stopped. Especially of your calves were a little used to a creep pen and you going through the cattle on horse or foot, I think you could sort like this at branding.

I'm not certain if that helps any, but best of luck

Building it 'in my head' I used standard heavy duty gate, hinges went to two square tubing pieces.

Said tubing pieces slide over long, smaller sq tubing, 'offset' from stout, tall post. Numerous holes a couple inches apart, to pin 'gate hinge tubing' to smaller over a couple vertical feet. Pulley on top of post, cable down to top of gate, over pulley, to winch off of wore out grain auger. Have a couple of feet of vertical adjustment, use from branding thru weaning.....

littlejoe said:
Building it 'in my head' I used standard heavy duty gate, hinges went to two square tubing pieces.

Said tubing pieces slide over long, smaller sq tubing, 'offset' from stout, tall post. Numerous holes a couple inches apart, to pin 'gate hinge tubing' to smaller over a couple vertical feet. Pulley on top of post, cable down to top of gate, over pulley, to winch off of wore out grain auger. Have a couple of feet of vertical adjustment, use from branding thru weaning.....

I'm used to 6 rail gates. In your example, we'd slide off the bottom rails as needed?

I was just keeping it simple and gate intact and stout. Seems like there's always one cow that would try to go under something like this deal-----this would be a standard , heavy duty gate the only 'modification' would be the hinges going to short sq tubing that could slide up and down vertically.

To change height, pull a pin and lower or raise with winch, re pin. Probably work best with second person assisting on end of gate.

Latest posts