• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How is your haying going

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
We are pretty much finished up around here and the hay crop is no better than 50%,rains just did'nt come to the TX hill country this year...........good luck

We're not even half done yet. It's slow going cutting because the crops are so heavy and thick. Best friend is cutting with me and he's plugging on and off all the time because he cuts faster than me. Myself, I find slow and steady wins the race. As long as I'm moving, that's all that counts. I'd lose time if I had to keep getting out to unplug the haybine. Balers are all caught up to what was cut yesterday, so it'll be a couple of days before they move again. Humidity stays up so high, it makes for tough drying conditions. Looks like it could rain tonight too, and it don't need to!

Our haying is winded out for the day.

Mrs. Soapweed does the mowing with a John Deere 4020 and a Rowse double 9' mower. She tips the guards up a bit in front, and just goes a steaming. Eighteen feet at a whack, and with the guards tipped in front, she very seldom clogs up enough to have to back up. The hay lays flat, dries evenly and is usually ready to bale the next day. Our son then rakes it with a sixteen wheel H & S rake, and Saddletramp and I try to keep up with the baling. A young man has been helping us since this spring, and his job is to haul the bales to the hay yards. This is done with another 4020 John Deere pulling a D & W six-bale hauler, with a loading arm. He loads on the go, and the hauling works pretty slick.

I hired some other hay put up. Even though it cost $28 per ton to have done, it seems to work well. For one thing, the hay is put up when it needs to be, so the quality is better, and then if we get rain, the after grass comes on quicker and thicker for fall grazing. The hay contracters finished yesterday. They did 713 bales weighing 1330 pounds each on the average, so I paid them for 474 ton. They did a nice job of baling high quality meadow hay, much of it timothy and clover. They hayed for us the two previous years, also, and covered more ground but got less tonnage those other two years. With early rains and breakdowns, they are running behind on other commitments, so asked if they could be released from the rest of our haying. Our own crew should be able to finish haying here and there sometime by the middle of August.

the hubby is resting right now and will be soon rising to finish the baling up of the last 100 acres....first cutting is darned near done for most in this area!!! Phewwwwww!! :wink:

Just got started up here and now we're getting the rain we wanted all spring. :? Got about 70 acres on the ground and about 50 wrapped up so just the tip of the iceberg.

Got the first cutting of the grass swathed, baled and stacked. Dad is finishing up the 2nd cutting of the alfalfa even as we speak. Got half the pivot baled and either stacked or sold. 2nd cutting of grass should be starting in about a week or so. Don't know how many ton of grass we got, but the 1st cutting of alfalfa yielded about 200 ton (I think).

We will finish up with the rest of the oat hay this morning, then we will be done since it doesn't look like their will be any second cutting. Thought we may get some but this heat rolled in and took care of that. Looks like we got about twice as much as last year and put up less ground.

We decided to hire all of the cutting done this year. We desparately needed a different cutter and we put a pencil to it. It was cheaper to hire it done at $8 an acre than to make a yearly payment on a machine, then we would have the high $ fuel, parts, and labor on top of it. So we tried it and it worked great. They moved in and cut while we raked and baled behind them. When they broke down and had a $1000 part bill, I was glad that it wasn't my machine. Usually we would have a couple of those a year before.

It was a great haying year for us. Our ranch is by Timber Lake, SD. Best spring that I can remember. It is nice to see than it can remember how to rain here.

BRG said:
We will finish up with the rest of the oat hay this morning, then we will be done since it doesn't look like their will be any second cutting. Thought we may get some but this heat rolled in and took care of that. Looks like we got about twice as much as last year and put up less ground.

We decided to hire all of the cutting done this year. We desparately needed a different cutter and we put a pencil to it. It was cheaper to hire it done at $8 an acre than to make a yearly payment on a machine, then we would have the high $ fuel, parts, and labor on top of it. So we tried it and it worked great. They moved in and cut while we raked and baled behind them. When they broke down and had a $1000 part bill, I was glad that it wasn't my machine. Usually we would have a couple of those a year before.

It was a great haying year for us. Our ranch is by Timber Lake, SD. Best spring that I can remember. It is nice to see than it can remember how to rain here.

I would like to hire out my cutting and rolling but I can't find anyone I can trust to get it done when it needs done. The last time I hired out the cutting it was the last cutting two years ago and I ended up having to bush hog it after the first frost. They were going to cut it tommorow every time I called them for a month.
I can't make cutting hay pay but it is the only way I can be sure and have hay on the dry years.

Hmmm, thought we were done baling for the year beings it was so dry..but after goin out to check hay fields after the previous weeks rains looks like we may be gittin a 3rd cuttin after all. Won't hurt my feelins none....cuz we need it.

we are about 350 acres from finishing the 3rd cutting here. and 15 days from beginning to drop the 4th......

4th will only be 60% due to the dry weather, but right now we are looking forward to the break!

bought a second baler right at the end of the first cutting, and the thing is already showing 1200 bales, boy they add up fast!

I'm gonna try to get some digital pics of us baling to drop on here.....

Won't quit showering here, so started bagging hay. Tried to put an oversized bale through it and pulled the hitch off the son of gun. Can't seem to get things going. :?

Here in central KS the 1st and 2nd cutting of alfalfa were really good and the 3rd ( what little there is in the bottoms) is being put up along with the prairie hay. The brome was not real good guess due to late frost. We run two balers,one swather , and I have been demoted from baling to raking the past 2 years as son took over the newer baler(real fine with me!) and husband runs my older baler. I do enjoy putting up hay. WE do have a lot of carry over hay,but not complaining as never know how the crop will be. If it does not rain soon we may have lots of corn sileage also-oh well .

what part of central KS rowdy? I am in the Concordia area.

got a lot of friends in the central part.

Silver said:
Won't quit showering here, so started bagging hay. Tried to put an oversized bale through it and pulled the hitch off the son of gun. Can't seem to get things going. :?

Hi Silver! I have never heard of 'bagging hay' and was wondering if you would please explain how one does it and what the advantages/disadvantages are? Thanks!

Jeannie said:
Silver said:

Hi Silver! I have never heard of 'bagging hay' and was wondering if you would please explain how one does it and what the advantages/disadvantages are? Thanks!

Jeannie, Some guys around here do it this time of year when there's so much humidity and hay won't cure. Some call it haylage. It's a long tube of plastic that's stretched over the bales end-to-end, and sealed on the end. I think there's an indiviual bale bagger too.
You can cut it that morning and bag it that afternoon. Works good if you can keep it sealed so it won't mold. Cows love it!

I put up 800 to 1000 bales of round bale silage every year. I thing it is great. I'll see if one of the bale wrapper manufacturers has a website and post a link on here. Two manufacturers that I know of are "Tube-line" and "Anderson".

:( Zip ...zilch...DH( Darlin hubby) still waiting for fields to dry up. At least for them not to be a swimmimg hole. :shock:

Here is a link to the Anderson wrapper site. We use a tube-line wrapper but their website didn't have a decent picture on it!! They are basicly the same though.
http://www.anderson-machineries.com/English/inlinebalewrapper.html
Sorry, I can't get the hot link to work. Copy and paste the above into your address bar. :)

Latest posts