• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How many cows does it take

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
I was wondering, how many cows would it take to make a living. Would probably calve in early february to the beginning of april. Would sell calves most likely november to december but possibly hold over till spring. Figured it would take 300-350 but not sure, would all be black angus cows.

For what it's worth try not to start with any preconceived notions. Calving in Feb in ND? Big calves don't necessarily mean big profits. Consider your inputs, price of feed, need for shelter, herd health, equipment needs, etc. If you are just starting out I would recommend a low input style. Consider all your options. My opinions, take em or leave em.

Agree with Swede. Calve in the latter part of april to may. Wean and then sell feb mar into the grass cattle market.
thats my two cents......

Big Swede said:
For what it's worth try not to start with any preconceived notions. Calving in Feb in ND? Big calves don't necessarily mean big profits. Consider your inputs, price of feed, need for shelter, herd health, equipment needs, etc. If you are just starting out I would recommend a low input style. Consider all your options. My opinions, take em or leave em.

Agreed.

Watch your debt load. You will find it takes as many as it does to make a living with cows. Different areas require different costs and give different opportunities for income. :wink:

Different areas require different costs and give different opportunities for income.
Whats income :lol: :lol: :lol: I get it thats what I do when I am done shoveling my truck around in the snow. Only I call it comein

I see familys that live ok with a 100 cows and other with 500 head and the whole family has a job in town. It comes down to costs, and how much you think you need.

You better have a good and big barn if you are going to calve 350 cows in early february.And if you are going to barn calve that many cows,one of my last choices would be angus.Been there and done that,not enough vodka in this world to keep me sane!!

I'm not even a rancher and wouldn't know why the OP would calve in early Feb. in ND. My uncle outside of Mitchell, SD runs about 100 stock cows and his calving season normally doesn't start until late March, early April.

There's nothing wrong with calving in Feb. even up here. But you need to be set up for it, and you better be prepared for the work load.
There's guys that do it here, and do well at it. Heck even we used to do it, but I'm not prepared to make that kind of commitment anymore. We start calving in early March now ( I guess that's like Jan down there, probably worse :lol: ) but to be honest I wouldn't mind holding the bulls back another week in the future.

Silver said:
There's nothing wrong with calving in Feb. even up here. But you need to be set up for it, and you better be prepared for the work load.
There's guys that do it here, and do well at it. Heck even we used to do it, but I'm not prepared to make that kind of commitment anymore. We start calving in early March now ( I guess that's like Jan down there, probably worse :lol: ) but to be honest I wouldn't mind holding the bulls back another week in the future.

I figured i would wait for someone of your status to say nothing wrong with winter calving,before i said it and i got slammed for it like i normally do on here.I start calving in january and it's not really that big of a deal,IF your set up for it.

From the sound of Angus Cowboy's question I assumed he was just starting out in his business venture. Can you imagine the dollar figure to build calving barns, haying machinery, tractors and all the other iron it would take? Why not calve in May and avoid all that expense. It doesn't take much feed to get a dry cow through winter, what he might need he could buy. I'm not going to harass you for when you calve 3words, just trying to help a young guy out.

Here's a little background info, right now we have enough native pasture for 140 cows, and hay ground enough for them. We also farm about 800 acres, and was wanting to seed most of it to alfalfa and hay oat and hay barley on the rest, and we are buying some marginal farm land (quite a few sloughs) that will graze 40 to 60 more cows. Would rent land for the rest and hay the farm land. Have 1 big calving barn now and 3 smaller barns, if we got 300 or more cows, would like to put up another big barn or 2. We have pretty much all the equipment we need except a wrapper for haylage, and all the barns, we have calf shelters and plenty of windbreaks

AngusCowBoy said:
Here's a little background info, right now we have enough native pasture for 140 cows, and hay ground enough for them. We also farm about 800 acres, and was wanting to seed most of it to alfalfa and hay oat and hay barley on the rest, and we are buying some marginal farm land (quite a few sloughs) that will graze 40 to 60 more cows. Would rent land for the rest and hay the farm land. Have 1 big calving barn now and 3 smaller barns, if we got 300 or more cows, would like to put up another big barn or 2. We have pretty much all the equipment we need except a wrapper for haylage, and all the barns, we have calf shelters and plenty of windbreaks
first what dose it cost to put up the hay and feed it back out... then what dose it cost to graze... just keep pushing a pencil and you come out with some numbers

AngusCowboy- sounds like a plan. Not much you can do in Feb. and March so why not calve. When you sell those steers the 1st of Jan for $1300.00 you can smile all the way to the bank.

cowboykell said:
AngusCowboy- sounds like a plan. Not much you can do in Feb. and March so why not calve. When you sell those steers the 1st of Jan for $1300.00 you can smile all the way to the bank.

I think when Big Swede sells his in January for $1150 with $200 less cost in them I'll probably see the brightness of his grin from here. :wink: :lol:

gcreekrch said:
cowboykell said:

I think when Big Swede sells his in January for $1150 with $200 less cost in them I'll probably see the brightness of his grin from here. :wink: :lol:

Just curious gcreekch but these may calves that are going to bring $1150,when would they be weaned?I hope you are right about the prices!! :D

Sounds like you're set up great to do it! I just run my cow herd for a living and basically don't have any. I can't wait until my wife can quit her job and us just live off of cow money....that's what we're working towards. We already pay our own health insurance and stuff, so I'm curious to see what happens. I don't think it's going to take very many for us.

3words said:
gcreekrch said:
cowboykell said:

Just curious gcreekch but these may calves that are going to bring $1150,when would they be weaned?I hope you are right about the prices!! :D

I'd even wait til the end of January to collect that kind of money for my May calves!

Latest posts