• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How much are you willing to pay for your saddle stock?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How much are you willing to pay for your saddle stock?

• $2500 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $3500 or less

• $4500 or less

• $5500 or more

• Total voters
Including the kids' miniature pony, we own five equines. And have spent a grand total of $300 on all of them put together. :wink:

Good horses don't need to cost much. You just need to make friends in the horse business. :lol:

theHiredMansWife said:
Including the kids' miniature pony, we own five equines. And have spent a grand total of $300 on all of them put together. :wink:

:lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thats a hard question to answer for me. I am picky about how my horses respond to me and my cues.

If I could buy a good solid horse that handled as mine do for $5000 or less, I'd be happy.

I never have bought a broke horse I was happy with, tho', so we buy and raise colts and spend that $5000 getting them growed up and broke. We always have a couple more than we need around and when they get older, most are for sale, but they ain't cheap, but then I guarentee them and would and have always done this with any horse I've ever sold like this.

If they don't suit me for what ever reason, they go to the sale, loose and the next guy can buy them cheaper and take his chances.

I've never sold a horse yet, that anyone ever complained about.

I did sell one to a friend who had a good handle on him and I had several other people tell me so, who had rode him. The friend told me that after he had him a couple of weeks and "trained" on him, he sure was a good horse. I didn't argue that they just needed to learn each others cues and thast it took them that long to get it figured out. The friend was happy, but I'd never sell him another one.

I will occasially sell a young horse as a yearling or two year old to someone who needs a good one and I can get my money back out of him.

I sure get tired of people who balk at paying good money for a horse, but will think nothing of spending twice as much for a 4 wheeler.

I guess they've just never rode a good one or they are getting too old to need a good one.

:wink:

Jinglebob said:
Thats a hard question to answer for me. I am picky about how my horses respond to me and my cues.

If I could buy a good solid horse that handled as mine do for $5000 or less, I'd be happy.

I never have bought a broke horse I was happy with, tho', so we buy and raise colts and spend that $5000 getting them growed up and broke. We always have a couple more than we need around and when they get older, most are for sale, but they ain't cheap, but then I guarentee them and would and have always done this with any horse I've ever sold like this.

If they don't suit me for what ever reason, they go to the sale, loose and the next guy can buy them cheaper and take his chances.

I've never sold a horse yet, that anyone ever complained about.

I did sell one to a friend who had a good handle on him and I had several other people tell me so, who had rode him. The friend told me that after he had him a couple of weeks and "trained" on him, he sure was a good horse. I didn't argue that they just needed to learn each others cues and thast it took them that long to get it figured out. The friend was happy, but I'd never sell him another one.

I will occasially sell a young horse as a yearling or two year old to someone who needs a good one and I can get my money back out of him.

I sure get tired of people who balk at paying good money for a horse, but will think nothing of spending twice as much for a 4 wheeler.

I guess they've just never rode a good one or they are getting too old to need a good one.

LOL I bet if that horse didnt work out that you sold to your friend that then he would have told everybody that Jinglebob trained him!
How do you garantee a horse?
God I have some colts advertised. 95% of the people that call about my horses I wont even let come look at my colts. Then even the 2% that I do let come are really pretty darn green. You see they will come but then I find out that there not the ones who are really buying the horse. You see the green rider just got a semi experienced rider to come and check the colt out for them.
It all adds up to a bunch of my time wasted.
About the quads. Isnt that something! Pay $12 grand for a quad and then balk at $5000 for a horse! Or go out and buy junk at an horse auction. I know guys who are always buying these auction horses. Never satisfied with what they get but wont pay over $2500 for a horse! Then most of the damn stock trailers going down the road have a quad in the back. Haha Plus they are pulling them with new dually diesels!
I would love to get into showing. Im thinking it would be easier to market horses. To damn bad everything is aged events.
Then there are other good hands out there that make their living on a horse. Problem is they couldnt afford to pay that much for a horse. Plus there all riding colts and selling them.
Seems like the biggest market out there right now is for "Dude" horses and lawn ornaments<sad>

RoperAB said:
How do you garantee a horse?

I am real honest and upfront about just what they are. I am not into this deal for the money! Evidentley! :lol:

I've got one now that I priced at $5000. Had an older guy who raises regestered bulls, who wanted him, but he could never get here and we were about 250 miles apart. I told him I'd wait on him, but he finally called and said to sell him to someone else, as he just couldn't get here. Don't know if he found a cheaper one or what, but it didn't really matter. I like the horse and he is 10 years old, sound and solid and anybody can ride and get along with him.

I told him to write whatever garauntee he wanted and I'd sign it. We've done everything possible off from him and he's the most bomb proof horse I've ever had.

If I don't sell him it ain't a problem. I've got lots of younger horses that need rode and he can go a year without being riden and I'd bet any amount that at the end of the year, you could get on and lope off and he'd never turn a hair.

I've got a grandson who will just love him to death, when he gets big enough to ride by himself and it's nice to have at least one like that around for guests and the missus. :wink:

I have had people ask me for a garantee. Well how can I garantee a horses behaviour when I have no control over how they are going to use him?
I used to train other peoples horses or for different problems they taught there horses. I would have the horse going good and then they would take him back. First thing before you knew it they would bring the horse back with either the same problem or some new problem they trained into the horse.
I guess if your horses are older its not as much of a problem. But I cant see how you can make any money keeping a horse until its ten years old and then selling him for only $5000.

RoperAB said:
I have had people ask me for a garantee. Well how can I garantee a horses behaviour when I have no control over how they are going to use him?
I used to train other peoples horses or for different problems they taught there horses. I would have the horse going good and then they would take him back. First thing before you knew it they would bring the horse back with either the same problem or some new problem they trained into the horse.
I guess if your horses are older its not as much of a problem. But I cant see how you can make any money keeping a horse until its ten years old and then selling him for only $5000.

Like I said, I ain't in it for the money.

This particular horse was my stud till he was 5, so I got some nice colts out of him and got the use of him since he was 3. I think that is worth something.

I don't know how anyone makes money on these horses except the traders who don't care who buys them or how they act after they sell them.

I know what you are saying about the training deal. Most people can't ride a well broke, fine tuned horse. So if they can't make one do what you can or keep one there, it's your fault.

Thats why I'm pretty careful who I sell a good one to.

When they come to try one out, they are welcome to do whatever and once they are in the trailer, it's their horse. If they have problems with one after they get him home, that they didn't have at my place, it sure ain't my fault. They cripple one up, it's not my fault.

Selling good horses can be a real pain.

I like the call about a horse for their kid starting out-willing to pay 5 bucks over meat-I said I got 4 kids of my own-why would I give their horse away to you. We raise all our own horses too-at least then all their dumbness they got from me.Just ran them in tonight-after losing my go to pony I guess it's time to start the young ones coming. Looks like some foals off my wee blue stud coming ssoon too.

If I ever was to pay for one I'd expect to pay quite a little. However I am VERY picky. I judged horses in college and anymore I am a stickler for good comformation. But disposition is very important to me also. I do own a mare that is a conformational wreck but has the heart of 20 horses. She will get it done or die trying that quality is worth a lot. Well that and a horse that can really walk! Nothing is worse then riding all day on a horse that you have to pedal along.

Heel Fly said:
I do own a mare that is a conformational wreck but has the heart of 20 horses.

The lesser half has a horse that is built a lot like a moose with a big Roman nose and half his tail cropped off. He is the ugliest thing...
But he's full of character and has the same attitude as your mare. He'll run all day until you pull him in.
At 25, that quality is starting to make me nervous. I just know that one of these days, he and his boy are going to be hot after some rangy old cow and he's going to have a heart attack mid-flight...

Read an interesting book about LK ranches in southern Alberta-they ran literally thousands of horses during the ranches history-they said there weren't more than a handful that broke down because of poor conformation-all the showring stuff haven't made the quarter horse breed any more user friendly as far as ranch horses go-alot of mutton witherted horses out there. Pretty is as pretty does-both in the horse business and the cattle business too. I'm as guilty as the next guy at buying conceived pefection over utility but I've seen some pretty ugly made horses make some pretty good cow ponies.

One of these years we are going to have to add horses to this place. Every week and every year I am seeing more and more use for them. With our smaller fields a lot can be done with ATV's or trucks but some of our fields ar ejust to uneven to even idel through and the noise those machines make does nothing but spook the calves... Of course, if we get horses I am going to have to relearn riding and it has been a few years.. The one old horse we have on this farm might as well be a wild mustang by now...

The thing is that it doesnt cost anymore to feed, deworm, vaccinate and train a good horse than it does a poor one.

The definition of good changes every 50 miles lol. An old hand up here always liked his horses to be quiet cause he couldn't steal cattle on a noisy horse.

NR
We raise western working Morgans and they sure do it for us. Tough as nails and cowy. They aren't anything like what you might have seen unless you are familar with the old Lippett Pecos and Fleetfeild bloodlines. I agree that show stock has never done any breed- dog horse or cow - any good. It is never a good thing to focus on one trait. I think most QH breeders are waking up and seeing just what they did to the breed for a few dollars. I like QH I just don' t agree with the trends. And the Morgan's have them too. Lord knows I think that the Morgan show people have done some of the worst things to horses of all the breeds. But that is just my penny!!

I used to ride a big stout mare of unknown origin years back and she was accused of being a Morgan a time or two-she was only as good as the cowboy riding her so when I was on her she wasn't much good. I raised three darn good mares off her-and have several descendants of those three around now. That little bay maere I lost through the ice was off her and that bay three year old is her granddaughter. I get a kick out of 'bloodline' people-when they get asking-amazing how many people will fall for that horse is out of Meadow Lake by Trailer or out of Waterhen Lake by Dark of Night. I'm not a good enough hand to get the most out of a well trained horse so I just muddle along and do the best I can with what I got.

I would have to say that the best ranch/using horse I've ever ridden is out of a mare whos " Out of Killerpen X Skin of Her Teeth" !! I literally bought her from the killer pen. She was colored identical to Soapweeds horse. Only she had the sobino markings all the way up all four legs. My geldings sire is a nice palimino Morgan stud. Like I said before papers are useful if you are looking for a specific trait like if you're looking for a cutting bred horse. The rest of the time take it or leave it.

Latest posts