• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How much Bo-Se?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

shiloh

Reaction score
Does anybody out there know how much Bo-Se to give a newborn/couple day old calf? Or if I can even give it to cattle????

Faster horses said:
Why do you think you even need to give it?

I had the same question, unless there is a possibility of White Muscle we haven't routinely given Selenium shots in years.

Mineral anyone? :wink:

Some areas are extremely selenium deficient. Even when providing a really good loose mineral, the only way you can control selenium intake is with a TMR or giving cattle/calves a shot of it.

FH you know that being a Vig rep . :wink:

I will also add that symptoms of selenium deficiency are very close to the symptoms of too much selenium so do err on the side of caution and make sure you know for sure the area you are in.

This is one of the deficient areas. At 125 ppm, we likely feed as much or more Sel. as anyone.
The cows that don't eat enough mineral will sometimes have a calf that shows the deficiency, those are the ones that get an injection. Shots of AD and E-Sel only stay in the system for 2 weeks or so anyway.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? :D

A calf that has white muscle is weak, cannot stand, and will lay on it's side and bend it's head back up over it's shoulders. That is one indication. They can be/go blind in other cases.

If they are not deficient, (most areas are) too much Sel. can be dangerous also.

Latest posts