• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to clean a straw hat?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchero

Reaction score
Does anybody know the best way to clean a straw hat? How can you clean off the sweat stains from around the air holes in the crown? I got some good hats but they look terrible after just a couple of times sweating in them. Is there any way to keep them looking new?

I would try a finger nail brush and a little soap and water. Not to much . the palm leaf hats that I wear for work get soaked every once in awhile maybe to reshape but that doesn't clean them much.

I've seen starting fluid (ether) used on felt hats--Was also told that fingernail polish remover worked on felt hats....Maybe those work on straw too-- I seldom wear a straw....

Straw

For cleaning straw hats:

Brush them frequently.

For light dirt use a piece of velvet that has been held in the steam for a few seconds. Rub in circles.

For very stubborn stains.. try some dry cleaners fluid.

For light straw try ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and ½ teaspoon of warm water

For dark straw hats try ½ teaspoon of ammonia and ¼ cup of water.

For straw hats that have been slightly crushed or dented hold the hat over a constant stream of steam while constantly moving the hat. Shape and dry naturally.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Straw

For cleaning straw hats:

Brush them frequently.

For light dirt use a piece of velvet that has been held in the steam for a few seconds. Rub in circles.

For light straw try ½ teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and ½ teaspoon of warm water

For straw hats that have been slightly crushed or dented hold the hat over a constant stream of steam while constantly moving the hat. Shape and dry naturally.

Best way to clean a straw,"buy a new one" seriously I dont know I really dont care for them,altho I wind up buying one every year,I got this plan,IM gonna buy me a cheap straw for work ,building fence,swatting flies,etc.after looking em over at the hat store ,I wind up buying a hundred dollar straw by the end of summer it aint worth wintering,I like a good ole stained felt for work,seems like the older they get the better they look,kinda like a pretty woman :wink: ..............good luck

My bailing hat is covered with geese and such by this time of year. I am too cheep to buy another so I gave it a good wash down with GoJo hand cleaner and a dip in the pond. It softens it right up. Then on those hot days on the tractor just dip, it in the pond every chance you get and it helps to keep one cool.

In my opinion hats are sposed to be "not clean" it's what gives em charactor... all the dents and dings the spots n stuff. Old hats tell stories.
Only hat that's meant to stay clean is yer "sunday go to meetin hat".

and if you really got yer heart set on cleanin a hat..my best advice if ya dont wanna try my above post, is Take it to Catalena hatters in Bryan Texas. They can do some amazing hat restoring, for a very reasonable price.

HAY MAKER said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Straw

For cleaning straw hats:

Brush them frequently.

Best way to clean a straw,"buy a new one" seriously I dont know I really dont care for them,altho I wind up buying one every year,I got this plan,IM gonna buy me a cheap straw for work ,building fence,swatting flies,etc.after looking em over at the hat store ,I wind up buying a hundred dollar straw by the end of summer it aint worth wintering,I like a good ole stained felt for work,seems like the older they get the better they look,kinda like a pretty woman :wink: ..............good luck
HOO - HOO - HAY MAKER, you are really cool 8) ! I'll bet HAY MAKERette will smile :) and nudge you in the ribs :wink: :wink:

Latest posts