• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to find a good employer ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AgTech

Reaction score
Yes, the reverse is worse. Have been on both ends and its no joy to pick up and move after you have put your faith in a particular employer only to see thier ugly side come out after you are trapped there. As an employer all ya gotta do is replace them and life goes on.

Most Listings by ranchers and also by head hunters expect alot from a prospective employee. Livestock skills, AI, ET, Doctoring, mechanical skills, irrigation, computer, welding are a must. They want it all!! Most great livestock folks are rotten mechanical people and vice versa.

AgTech....I know exactly what you mean! I have been working for the NRCS now for a little over 3 years, and I have gotten to where I am making enough money to where I can't afford to quit. If I would quit and go get another job i'd have to take a hell of a pay cut and that I can't afford right now. And believe me.....us government workers don't get paid anymore than most people.....infact most people I graduated college with are making more than me. I just get sick of the bull **** that the government puts on us as employees....the paper work, the rules, the regulations, the constant pressure! I wish I could get another job.....but I am stuck.....but what you said is so true. They could replace me and they arn't affected at all.....if I replace them as my employer....I lose in the pocket book....ughh.

And with my degrees (B.S. in Animal Science and a B.S. in Range Science) I am very limited to the type of work I can do!! I wish so much I could go back and start college over and take a different path! :(

Now I'm depressed.....................blah

TXTibbs said:
AgTech....I know exactly what you mean! I have been working for the NRCS now for a little over 3 years, and I have gotten to where I am making enough money to where I can't afford to quit. If I would quit and go get another job i'd have to take a hell of a pay cut and that I can't afford right now. And believe me.....us government workers don't get paid anymore than most people.....infact most people I graduated college with are making more than me. I just get sick of the BS that the government puts on us as employees....the paper work, the rules, the regulations, the constant pressure! I wish I could get another job.....but I am stuck.....but what you said is so true. They could replace me and they arn't affected at all.....if I replace them as my employer....I lose in the pocket book....ughh.

And with my degrees (B.S. in Animal Science and a B.S. in Range Science) I am very limited to the type of work I can do!! I wish so much I could go back and start college over and take a different path! :(

Now I'm depressed.....................blah

You are young and single, so what is keeping you from going back to school, at least part-time. Aren't there colleges in Midland, TX, or you could access computer courses, surely. Some people do it even with families to care for. If it is what you really want.....go for it! It must be really depressing working for a business, or in your case the government, that you dislike so strongly. Wishing you every success, and job contentment in your near future. From the viewpoint of nearing the end of my life, I can see it is too short to dislike your job if there are any possible alternatives.

MRJ

MRJ

One of my former employers in the newspaper business said this once, and it has always stuck with me:

"The two most important things in life is who you marry and what you do."

Life is short. Nothing is worth being stuck doing something you hate. Animal science, huh? Well, I know that there is a demand for Drug reps, feed reps, etc. in the ag industry. Have you tried Intervet? Ft. Dodge, Merial (they might not be hiring because of the Vioxx fiasco), but there are many others; let your imagination be your guide. There is a shortage of young people with ag backgrounds for lots of jobs. Newspapers in rural America are crying for people with Ag backgrounds.

I don't know where your talent or real love lies. There is a lot out there in the private sector that I never realized until I became a mineral dealer. We work with lots of reps. Some good, some not so good, but they can always get a job. There are caring companies out there also.

Good luck, TX. Follow your dreams. You are young, that is the time to dream. Anyone that wants to work in this country can certainly find a job and you should be able to find something you really like.

PM me as to what you really want to do. I might know of a young company that would be intersted in what you have to offer and you might like working for them. Among other things they buy cattle for feedlots, run rations, etc. and have been highly successful. They have fun doing it, too.

Ag Tech, I am the manager of one of the larger angus herds in MO, and 26 years old. I understand what you are saying. When I graduated college I had spent all my life focused on the technical side of the purebred business(having grown up in it). As for the ability to deal with mechanical problems I might as well ask a monkey. He would proably have a better idea than me. However, in my situation there is more focus on reproductive physiology and show and sale cattle. My point being whatever you have always wanted to do in life, you can find a situation or job to which your individual skills apply. Good Luck

I had a Great Job with my state University Extension as an Ag Tech(Livestock ). What a Great Job for me in Particular. However, it was cut by our then Republican Governor . I had a huge responsiblity. Traveling on half the sate, talking to producers, and signing them up for the program and getting the check that day! I liked it so much I had 100 % success rate. I did forage testing, CHAPS ( Cow Herd Appraisal for Performance Software ) traing ) and even did all the data entry for them on site on weaning day or whatever. Also had a weekly radio spot where I would interview various industry leaders regarding markets, weather, grazing issues, etc..just LOVED it. Cant find a single thing now. But I will persevere in the end , Imm sure.

Circumstances alter cases. Sometimes circumstances make life a little difficult - sometimes VERY difficult! I decided to return to another four years of College at age 29 with three boys ages 10 - 8 - 5 and working part-time (for a few months FULL time) too! My dear Wife Ruthie worked FULL TIME - AND we raised three great Sons in the process. You have to have a goal, grit and determination. But you can do it if you really WANT to - not just HOPE to! Don't blame the Government for not providing for you! YOU are your responsibility. Look around - get innovative - ask the Lord for some guidance - and DO IT! Grit you teeth - and God Bless You!

DOC HARRIS

I have been blessed the last several yrs. w/a great employer. He lives out of town and does not harass me in any way but does take an interest in the ranch. But got word today that the ranch is for sale. NOW WHAT??

Have you tried Intervet? Ft. Dodge, Merial (they might not be hiring because of the Vioxx fiasco),

Scratch Merial......Merck owns about 50% of them!!

In the business world...............employment is not forever!!!!!!!!!
My advice to young folks get as much education as you can and do not get it in the bucket!!

Latest posts