• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to not get the yearlings checked

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haytrucker

Reaction score
Can you switch that pivot back and take a bad tie-rod end off that rake tractor? I didn't think that was the whole trouble, and, yep. Started out with 3 fresh rake wheels, and all the teeth we had. The rake is almost right, just needs a fresh tire. Tie rod end wound up switching an axle leg, cleaning and repacking bearings, and finding a 6 hole rim with tire to fit. Done by 7:30 MST. Yearlings are a 4 hour check, guess I know where tomorrow starts. At least it's dry enough to hay..

LOL - seems like I have more days like that the older I get. Every day, we vow to try not to tear anything up for the day, but it doesn't seem to help. I really get tired of working on greasy mechanic stuff this time of year, and you make a great point that many of us experience - our cattle get neglected this time of year because we're too busy doing stuff to help get them through the winter.

We are actually caught up on baling and one set of yearlings left this past week. Two more groups go this coming week, along with third cutting just starting and some oat straw to bale. Busy times, with no rain related time off. May be some of the best quality hay I have ever helped harvest, except the CRP we just finished. It will find a use I am sure, as dry land hay is very short in this area.

Yearlings all gone as of last Friday, a crew preconditioned calves this morning , may have got them all done. IDK, as I was dissecting a baler pickup with a twisted off shaft, been broke a while but didn't find it until last Thursday. Irrigate, irrigate, and work on the new house. Pee-poor part time jobs, my oat straw bawling needs attention. Any body else ready for cooler weather?

It was a treat, but the end justified the means. Doesn't bale quite like new, but as close as one with 68,000 bales thru it can. This year's baler payment, and money well spent.

Haytrucker said:
It was a treat, but the end justified the means. Doesn't bale quite like new, but as close as one with 68,000 bales thru it can. This year's baler payment, and money well spent.

What brand and Model baler do yo run?

That one is a John Deere 568, as are four others in the neighborhood. They range from 15000 bale count on up. I don't know if they are the best baler, but they are the one I know the best. I bought one last March, and after a little tuning I really like it. The 68,000 bale count unit I have been using since 45,000 or so. It rolled close to 7000 a year for several years. Parts are cheaper than a payment, but the trick is timing the fixing when you don't need to be baling.

Had a 567, moved up to a 568, really like it. Thought about a 569, then looked at the price and my check book and decided the 568 repairs were cheaper. Even with a $2800.00 gear box repair. The gear box its self was $2300.00. Seal went out while baling and lost the oil. As the repair man said, "Wear and Tear". Back up and running good.

My 648 NH crapped out last month, in a bind with nearly 150 bales in the windrow. Called the Vermeer dealer, nly one with a baler. 2 hrs later he was riding the tractor with me pullint a new 504R.. If it was not for the oil well I could not have written the check.. Well honestly my wife wrote it... $36,500

Latest posts