• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How will the 9th Circut Court rule

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron said:
Feeder, not jesting at all. Dead serious. Come to Canada and ask a few families how they feel about all this nonsense and a certain state judge. Went to a dairy farm auction the other day...bank closed them down...they got a total of $600.00 for their last 16 Holsteins they shipped. The wife was sobbing and the husband almost brokedown as well. I listened to a 76 year old retired disabled farmer and friend almost break into tears on the telephone this morning. His only son sold the purebred herd he worked to produce over 40 years and is leaving to Alberta with his young family.

Lots of heartbreak on this side of the border .Good friend of mine, shot his cows , then him self over these border politics..

Bill said:
Sandhusker said:
SASH,"We spent alot of time and money developing the American market."

I don't understand that considering most of the beef coming to this market is via US companies. Exactly what did you do develop this market?
Ever heard of a little agreement called NAFTA? We assured the US of cheap and accessable energy.

And that has what to do with developing our markets?

Aaron said:
Feeder, not jesting at all. Dead serious. Come to Canada and ask a few families how they feel about all this nonsense and a certain state judge. Went to a dairy farm auction the other day...bank closed them down...they got a total of $600.00 for their last 16 Holsteins they shipped. The wife was sobbing and the husband almost brokedown as well. I listened to a 76 year old retired disabled farmer and friend almost break into tears on the telephone this morning. His only son sold the purebred herd he worked to produce over 40 years and is leaving to Alberta with his young family.

SASH...I have noticed that my cheque hasn't been cashed yet, so I ain't going to get my feathers ruffled over what Morrison is doing. Couple more months and it will be void anyway.

Aaron, it's your own dang government's fault, not R-CALF's! Is the US market the only market for your product in the world? Is R-CALF stopping you from testing and taking the entire asian market? You think there was a payoff in Billings, you might want to check in Ottowa! Geeeeeze.

I'm sick to the gills of some of you folks whining about R-CALF's efforts to keep the border closed, being protectionist, etc..... when your dang government IS DOING THE SAME &^%$ THING! Why haven't you opened up to England? What about those English producers who can't ship to Canada? Why are you screaming and hollering demanding we do something THAT CANADA WON'T!

Some Canadians thump their chests and proclaim their safeguards make their product safe and we have to reason not to take their product. Excuse me, but the EU has more stringent safeguards, and you're not taking their product! Why?

But it's them dang protectionist R-CALFers and their bought off judge...... :roll:

Sandhusker said:
Aaron said:

SASH...I have noticed that my cheque hasn't been cashed yet, so I ain't going to get my feathers ruffled over what Morrison is doing. Couple more months and it will be void anyway.

Aaron, it's your own dang government's fault, not R-CALF's! Is the US market the only market for your product in the world? Is R-CALF stopping you from testing and taking the entire asian market? You think there was a payoff in Billings, you might want to check in Ottowa! Geeeeeze.

I'm sick to the gills of some of you folks whining about R-CALF's efforts to keep the border closed, being protectionist, etc..... when your dang government IS DOING THE SAME &^%$ THING! Why haven't you opened up to England? What about those English producers who can't ship to Canada? Why are you screaming and hollering demanding we do something THAT CANADA WON'T!

Some Canadians thump their chests and proclaim their safeguards make their product safe and we have to reason not to take their product. Excuse me, but the EU has more stringent safeguards, and you're not taking their product! Why?

But it's them dang protectionist R-CALFers and their bought off judge...... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandman... who sued to keep the border closed.R-calf

Furthermore Canada is currently taking live cattle and beef from a b.s.e infected country .THE UNITED STATES

How much beef does the U.S buy from England currently or for that matter Japan.Japan has to have the savest beef in the world they test every animal.And stillb you want them to open there borders to U.S beef good luck :lol:

Sandhusker said:
Aaron said:

Sandhusker why can't you understand why most Canadians and some Americans hate R-CALF is because they LIE. How can our beef be a genuine risk of death and the US be the safest in the world when we both have BSE in our herds. Leo said Canada processes downers another lie, He said the US tests 150,000 head annually more than Canada another lie, He said the US is the only country to have firewalls in place to protect the consumer prior to having BSE in their herd another lie. He defended R-CALF members owning Canadian cattle then turned around and said No R-CALF member owned Canadian cattle another lie that he himself proved by earlier defending their right to own them. The list of lies is non stop. R-CALF claims their problem is with the USDA but they are lieing everyday about the Canadian system. If you are mad at the USDA, go after the USDA and stop lieing about our beef. How is destroying consumer confidence in our product going to help you when you now have BSE in your herd, and R-CALF has pointed out all the faults in the US system.
About the EU and the rest of the countries affected with BSE. Did any of them have Precautionary measures in place prior to having BSE? That just happen to mirror the same set of precautionary measures that the US implemented. Did any of them trade in the volume of millions of head of live cattle and millions of tons of feed like the US and Canada did.
Yes Canada set up markets in the US for our beef because you needed the meat and we had it. Your plants needed the Live cattle and we didn't have the slaughter capacity to harvest all we had so we worked as friendly neighbors. R-CALF is OK with banning imports from Canada because they are no longer seeing loads of live cattle coming across the border but while all attention is on keeping the border closed with their lies the boat loads are coming in from countries that don't have the same standards the US does. The US still needs the beef to meet domestic demand. All R-CALF is doing is putting people out of work in the US and out sourcing their slaughter jobs to Canada and elsewhere If you are any kind of banker you should see that this is a bad investment move for the US beef industry. As soon there will be less slaughter plants in the US to bid on the US cattle coming up for slaughter. You think you have Packer concentration now what do you think it will be like after a few more plants close because of R-CALFs injunction. :roll:

Aaron, I feel for everyone going through this nightmare. But you forgot an important story. Many south of the border have also been through low prices, physical and mental breakdowns, a few years ago, just like north of the border now. When our prices were depressed did you ever once say "Gee we better quit sending so much product South, our fellow ranchers in the US are struggling"? We are told here not to expand hog units (for example) due to the numbers, and then we see truckloads of them coming South. In my opinion, why should we decrease livestock numbers and then allow truckloads in. That is the frustration for me. Fair trade is different than free trade.

Tam: "Yes Canada set up markets in the US for our beef because you needed the meat and we had it."

Wrong, Tam, the packers were/are using Canadian beef to displace USA producers...the facts on changes in herd size is the proof. You Canadians holler about the USA doesn't want to trade and is afraid to compete, but your product is sold down here as a black-market product because it isn't labeled as a Product of Canada. :mad: Is that fair trade?????? :???:

RobertMac said:
Tam: "Yes Canada set up markets in the US for our beef because you needed the meat and we had it."

Wrong, Tam, the packers were/are using Canadian beef to displace USA producers...the facts on changes in herd size is the proof. You Canadians holler about the USA doesn't want to trade and is afraid to compete, but your product is sold down here as a black-market product because it isn't labeled as a Product of Canada. :mad: Is that fair trade?????? :???:

If you have a problem with the way the USDA is selling Canadian beef, take it up with them and leave us out of it. As far as imports go, we sure have a pile of crap that comes out of the US. In fact, 50 cents of every dollar spent in Canada is paid to a US company. Is that fair trade?

SASH: "If you have a problem with the way the USDA is selling Canadian beef, take it up with them and leave us out of it."

Ever heard of MCOOL?????????? :eek: :eek:
Can't leave y'all out...it's your beef!!!

SASH: "As far as imports go, we sure have a pile of crap that comes out of the US. In fact, 50 cents of every dollar spent in Canada is paid to a US company. Is that fair trade?"

If it has "MADE IN USA" on it, sure...you have the ability to make the decision whether to by it or not. :wink:

RobertMac said:
SASH: "If you have a problem with the way the USDA is selling Canadian beef, take it up with them and leave us out of it."

Ever heard of MCOOL?????????? :eek: :eek:
Can't leave y'all out...it's your beef!!!

SASH: "As far as imports go, we sure have a pile of crap that comes out of the US. In fact, 50 cents of every dollar spent in Canada is paid to a US company. Is that fair trade?"

If it has "MADE IN USA" on it, sure...you have the ability to make the decision whether to by it or not. :wink:

The problem is that the Americans just keep buying out Canadian companies and re-labelling them. We now have Wal-Mart instead of Woolco. Home Depot and the venerable Hudson Bay Company, the oldest company in the world, is slated to become a Target store. So, no, not all that we buy has a US label on it. The uninformed don't know that all that money is going into US hands.

feeder said:
Aaron, I feel for everyone going through this nightmare. But you forgot an important story. Many south of the border have also been through low prices, physical and mental breakdowns, a few years ago, just like north of the border now. When our prices were depressed did you ever once say "Gee we better quit sending so much product South, our fellow ranchers in the US are struggling"? We are told here not to expand hog units (for example) due to the numbers, and then we see truckloads of them coming South. In my opinion, why should we decrease livestock numbers and then allow truckloads in. That is the frustration for me. Fair trade is different than free trade.
And you forget that Canadians sold into that same depressed market. The only difference was the currency value. Although that helped Canada on the selling end it killed us on our inputs. Try buying equipment from the US with a 65 cent Canadian dollar.

What were interest rates in the US in the mid '80s? 15-20% in Canada for those getting established at that time was the kiss of death.

I guess you fellow do not know near as much about the US agriculture as you think you do. In the 1970s and early 80s all or college professors, ag spokemen and the media told us to expand, to use our assets in land,cattle etc. and get bigger and more efficient. Then then the interest rates went out of sight. Just a couple of days ago I talked to a man who agreed that that was what had happened to him. 19% interest, you know who fast that builds up. He said he farmed, had 2 center pivits, when things hit the fan they were worth less than 1/2 of their value. Now he is selling insurance.

To me, those who argue that we have a unified beef industry are some of the biggest liars of them all. Things were going well again in the early 1990s, than when the bottom fell out of the market we were told it was because we were over-producing, still our big brother "partners" bent over backward to import and farther depress our markets. I do not see eye to eye with R-calf, but can very well see why so many people join them. We US cattle producers can produce all the beef we need to fill our domestic market, just give us the prices to allow us to do it.

I guess you fellow do not know near as much about the US agriculture as you think you do. In the 1970s and early 80s all or college professors, ag spokemen and the media told us to expand, to use our assets in land,cattle etc. and get bigger and more efficient. Then then the interest rates went out of sight. Just a couple of days ago I talked to a man who agreed that that was what had happened to him. 19% interest, you know who fast that builds up. He said he farmed, had 2 center pivits, when things hit the fan they were worth less than 1/2 of their value. Now he is selling insurance.

To me, those who argue that we have a unified beef industry are some of the biggest liars of them all. Things were going well again in the early 1990s, than when the bottom fell out of the market we were told it was because we were over-producing, still our big brother "partners" bent over backward to import and farther depress our markets. I do not see eye to eye with R-calf, but can very well see why so many people join them. We US cattle producers can produce all the beef we need to fill our domestic market, just give us the prices to allow us to do it.

Clarence, I think I know what you are talking about. I started farming in the early 80's. Regardless of which side of the border one was on, it wasn't much fun for a while. I think it goes to show that in the final analysis, we are not that different from each other. I regret that there is so much tension between people who do the same things day after day to earn their livlihood.

Your post made me think of a column that I wrote a while ago about that very period in time. I posted it over on Coffee Shop.

Clarence said:

{Clarence, did you forget that "overproducing" happens when we produce more tonnage of beef with fewer cattle? That is what we have done for quite some time now.

Don't you remember that we have exchanged breeding stock with Canada for ages, also with Mexico. Obviously, some stocker operators in the USA have long imported Mexican cattle and sold them to feeders. They probly put on several times their "import weight" in USA produced grass and grain. So......whom do you believe is/are the "liars arguing that we have a unified beef industry"? Isn't it the prospective customers for our beef in the rest of the world (foreigners) who gave it the North American Beef Industry label? That is what I have observed, anyway. MRJ}

Clarence said:

Clarence, did anyone forge your or his signature on a bank loan? If, not I believe if an error was made it was of one's own doing. I too remember the period well.

I also remember the early 1990's. That was an expansionary period of the cattle cycle. Beef production was at its cyclical low in 1990 and annual fed cattle prices reached their peak that year. Prices turned lower following a severe winter for feeding in 1992-93. Inventories peaked at 103.5 million head in 1996 then herd liquidation began, a result of severe drought in Texas. Cow slaughter that year was 7.2 million in contrast to 2004 at 5.1 million head. The imports you are bitching about were more than offset by exports. Yes Clarence, net imports declined if you were paying attention to all the facts. Now, what were you complaining about and whom do you blame; remind me.

Oldtimer said:
SASH said:
Aaron said:
redriver...you may have a good point there. If that border opens tomorrow, I will have a change of heart....instead of my $20 going to Fair Market Beef to sue R-CALF, I want it to go to pay for a hitman so that Cebull doesn't get a chance to screw everything up again.

Maybe you could start your own webpage www.Cebull-hitman.com and collect $20 from all the cattle producers across western Canada and then keep telling everybody its going to happen next week and meanwhile do nothing. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? While you are at it, you could set up a forum that nobody ever post on. Good Luck.

feeder is quite right-- Even a verbal threat of death, injury, or harm to a Judge is a Felony crime down here since the passage of the Patriot Act and the associated laws that went with it....Serious business- nothing to joke about :!:[/quote
It might be a felony in the US, but would probably earn a medal from Canadian cattlemen. Speaking of the Patriot Act and other such laws, if americans ever realise how many rights they have lost under the republican ruse of national security and other bogus smokescreens, they will be shocked. This regime has been likened to the rise of Nazi Germany, as the rights of it's people were similarly curtailed for "the greater good". My american friends are very aware of what's been going on, and they're worried.[/b]

redriver said:
Oldtimer said:
SASH said:
Maybe you could start your own webpage www.Cebull-hitman.com and collect $20 from all the cattle producers across western Canada and then keep telling everybody its going to happen next week and meanwhile do nothing. Hmmm, where have I seen that before? While you are at it, you could set up a forum that nobody ever post on. Good Luck.

feeder is quite right-- Even a verbal threat of death, injury, or harm to a Judge is a Felony crime down here since the passage of the Patriot Act and the associated laws that went with it....Serious business- nothing to joke about :!:[/quote
It might be a felony in the US, but would probably earn a medal from Canadian cattlemen. Speaking of the Patriot Act and other such laws, if americans ever realise how many rights they have lost under the republican ruse of national security and other bogus smokescreens, they will be shocked. This regime has been likened to the rise of Nazi Germany, as the rights of it's people were similarly curtailed for "the greater good". My american friends are very aware of what's been going on, and they're worried.[/b]

What :???: :???: you have American friends?????????????
The only Americans I know that compare Pres. Bush to Nazi Germany is the looney left...who still aren't excepting the fact that they are losing elections because they believe they were anointed with power for life. Funny how democracy in a free society works. :lol:

agman said:
Clarence said:

Clarence, did anyone forge your or his signature on a bank loan? If, not I believe if an error was made it was of one's own doing. I too remember the period well.

I also remember the early 1990's. That was an expansionary period of the cattle cycle. Beef production was at its cyclical low in 1990 and annual fed cattle prices reached their peak that year. Prices turned lower following a severe winter for feeding in 1992-93. Inventories peaked at 103.5 million head in 1996 then herd liquidation began, a result of severe drought in Texas. Cow slaughter that year was 7.2 million in contrast to 2004 at 5.1 million head. The imports you are bitching about were more than offset by exports. Yes Clarence, net imports declined if you were paying attention to all the facts. Now, what were you complaining about and whom do you blame; remind me.

Agman, did you conveniently forget that Pres. Carter embargoed Ag. products to Russia (the market that USA ag was expanding to fill) undermining our credibility as a reliable provider...and Brazil and Arg. (with our help) were poised and ready to take those markets, which they did. Ag lending institutions and banks were more than ready to lend a high percentage of (overly inflated) capital asset value with the urging of the government(Nixon/Ford). Carter's move started the ball rolling that collapsed the whole system. My brothers and I faced off foreclosure, paid six figures on interest, and took 10 years to recover working +100 hour weeks. I remember the times well...and you should watch out telling part of the story...SH will call you a liar. :shock:

Agman: "... in 1996 then herd liquidation began, a result of severe drought in Texas."

The drought didn't stop at the border, Mexico was also liquidating and shipping cattle north per NAFTA, adding to the over supply.

Two half truths in one post...we are waiting SH...Oh, that's right, Agman has nothing to do with R-CALF, so you don't have a problem here. Now what's that word you use all the time? :???: :???: :???:

Latest posts