• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

how would you react to 2" of snow?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
I have seen the "horror" stories of Atlanta and some of the other southern cities coping with 2" of snow...

we were hit by the same storm.. had about 6" of real fluffy snow on last weeks icy inch and it shoveled real easy..

I guess it lost it's punch as it crossed over the Mason Dixon line.. :?

this morning at about 5:30 the local roads were unplowed.. but I had an appointment in Delaware at the VA.. several appointments in fact..

it is about 80 miles.. I saw the first plow truck at 49 miles.. most of the travel was slowed by not wanting to pass a nervous person that was just being cautious.

but the little front wheel drive hybrid did fine.. even had better then average MPG :lol: I made good time once I was on the highway even though it wasn't plowed either..
( I had joked with my wife about taking my truck (F350 dually with 4X4 , but I have a large V plow mounted on it at the moment) :lol:

so honestly if I can drive through about 6 inches of snow for over 50 miles.. before I even saw a plow truck.. who was heading the other way..

so what happened?

abandoned cars.. sure it was icy,.. and it snowed.. but really folk.. I pray they never get in a real pickle.

Atlanta 'snowpocalypse' mocked after 2 inches of snow

Snow fell in Atlanta on Tuesday, leaving a couple of inches on the region — an event that would be a minor inconvenience for communities in the Northern climes. But the white stuff and the icy streets it spawned stirred a panicky, community-wide exodus toward home. As night fell, the city's busy interstates became parking lots. It left homebound folks stranded in their cars and anxious kids sheltering in their schools overnight.

How can this happen in and to a world-class region? One answer: It was poor planning and panicky citizens who don't know how to deal with the snow.

the mayor blamed in on the snow plow needing repairs.

BfJe4qlIcAAnETx.jpg

apparently someone forgot to plug the little bugger in last fall..

Search crews in helicopters look for drivers stuck in snow in Georgia

ATLANTA, GA -- Helicopters took to the skies Wednesday to search for stranded drivers while authorities on the ground worked to deliver food, water and gas - or a ride home - to people who were stuck on highways after a winter storm walloped the Deep South.

Students spent the night on buses or at schools, commuters abandoned their cars or idled in them all night and the highways turned into parking lots when the roads iced over.

It wasn't clear exactly how many people were still stranded on the roads a day after the storm paralyzed the region. And the timing of when things would clear and when the highways would thaw was also uncertain because temperatures were not expected to be above freezing.

The rare snowstorm deposited mere inches of snow in Georgia and Alabama, but there were more than 1,000 fender-benders. At least six people died in traffic accidents, including five in Alabama

If there was a bright spot in the epic gridlock, it was the Southern-style graciousness. Strangers opened up their homes and volunteers served coffee and snacks to the traffic-bound.

if the crap ever really hits the fan..I don't want to be anywhere near a city..

Calgary has had twice the average snowfall this year. And most of it has stayed. We're at a standstill here.

We just don't get the global warming (chinooks) that we used to. :lol:

Climate change has caused more moisture and global warming has caused it to freeze on the way down.

Maybe Alberta's carbon capture caused this...what we need is some more government/UN intervention, or, maybe a new tax.

If Gore is successful in his African depopulation program, maybe the new tax could be cut in half.

Wonder if they drove on the sidewalks in Atlanta this time???
A relative who worked there (a clinical psychologist, no less) several years ago witnessed that during a very light snowfall in Atlanta, as she was driving in from her home at Macon. She cautioned us (having driven in for a meeting) that people there have NO experience driving in icy conditions. Experiencing it so rarely, they seem to forget between 'learning sessions'.

It would be pretty frightening to have small children kept overnight at the schools if they are no better prepared for that than they are for the weather affecting the streets.

mrj

Traffic is absolutely horrible in Atlanta everyday. But put a few inches of sheer slick ice on the road and you're bound to get thousands of accidents.

Once the wrecked vehicles block the road, a fiasco is inevitable.

Before it started raining here the air was very dry. Afterwards, much of the rain was evaporating at first, causing a huge cooling effect simultaneous with the cold front moving in.

It only took an hour or so for a solid sheet of ice to cover most roads.

You couldn't have put me in a flashlight and shined me on the highways at that point. Too many idiots trying to get home in a hurry.

I was in South Carolina back in '93 or '94 and I remember everyone freaking out over a report of them getting 3 inches of snow. I just looked at them like they were crazy.
Had one girl ask me what that little white stuff was falling from the sky. Told her it was snow. She had never seen snow before.
All they got was a few flakes that did not even stick to the ground and a bunch of wind.

Only two inches of snow.. that's a good day. Not sure it would be mentioned on the weather forecast. We don't get heavy snowfall warnings until it's closer to a foot, and windchill warnings kick in when it approaches minus 40.

What part of "stay off the roads" did those people not understand? :wink:

I Luv Herfrds said:
I was in South Carolina back in '93 or '94 and I remember everyone freaking out over a report of them getting 3 inches of snow. I just looked at them like they were crazy.
Had one girl ask me what that little white stuff was falling from the sky. Told her it was snow. She had never seen snow before.
All they got was a few flakes that did not even stick to the ground and a bunch of wind.

I was stationed in Charleston over one "winter" and it snowed.

it was a light dusting.. and I mean light..

I drove to the base and was "shocked" at seeing the gates closed..
not being essential personnel I went home..

Wife and I went to a boat show that day.. it was great the place was empty,.. no salesman.. no crowds.. just a few "northers who couldn't believe the panic"..

Mike said:
Traffic is absolutely horrible in Atlanta everyday. But put a few inches of sheer slick ice on the road and you're bound to get thousands of accidents.

Once the wrecked vehicles block the road, a fiasco is inevitable.

Before it started raining here the air was very dry. Afterwards, much of the rain was evaporating at first, causing a huge cooling effect simultaneous with the cold front moving in.

It only took an hour or so for a solid sheet of ice to cover most roads.

You couldn't have put me in a flashlight and shined me on the highways at that point. Too many idiots trying to get home in a hurry.

I agree.. I would never go on a highway on a day like that down south..
and would never go on one near any of our major cities in the North East.

I have driven in and been stuck in city traffic for hours before.. I think the longest was six hours.. (but that is another story..) in most of them a little courtesy and patience would have alleviated them..

I have a friend who lives in Atlanta.. ( transplant from Pennsylvania mountain area. )

I talked to him last night..

he had to take side street and weave through neighborhoods to get home.. he had his 2WD pickup. he did put some rolls of roofing in the bed to give it some weight as a precaution.

he said from what he saw it was a combination of total panic,.. slow or not moving traffic and people running out of gas.

for those stuck... he said after helping the first few he gave up.. they would floor the car and then if it moved slam on the brakes..

he said the roads were slick.. but that their version of ice would make any northern shake his head and laugh .

I understand their frustration.. but panicking seldom helps...

if this is how the city reacts to a meager amount of ice and snow.. imagine if it was hit by a larger disaster..

Latest posts