• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Howdy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Howdy Folks.

Been another long while. Still whacking away at house building out here on the front range. Maybe in 20 years I'll have saved enough to take off to the wilds and not see any people for a few months. But! I got little ones need fed and shoed. We welcomed #3 September 14th. Enjoy a few update photos if you would, holler anytime.

Qcn6Edbw.jpeg

SG and her Pretty Palomino Pony. And a tractor. 'Cause that's how she rolls.
ys7J5b0w.jpeg

Mama made us get a family photo.
IMG_9262.JPG

Proof we dress up on occasion.
IMG-2454.jpg

Riding the Palomino at sundown. Cranky character though she can be, she's a smart pony. Gonna make a horse maybe.
IMG-2758.jpg

Middle child enjoying a snow storm and hungry cows.
IMG-3787.jpg

Dad and I doing what we do. This one happened to be a bigger project.
IMG-3952.JPG

The newest buckaroo. Cedar on his daddy's saddle. We're still kind of ranchers. Hanging on by a green mare and some poultry.

Glad you dropped by, your beautiful family is sure growing.
Love that picture of Cedar. The palomino and your oldest is very cute.
We had our 2 yr old grand daughter last week while her little brother was being born, I can relate to the middle girl liking to see the cows.
We had had 2 girls then a boy.

Thank you guys! Poked around a bit last night, great to see so many of the old handles still hanging around. But so many aren't around from so many years ago. Life is a crazy ride.

Sorry to have been off the radar for so long. The new one is keeping us awake for a lot of hours of the night still, and we're buried in work with Californians moving out to the front range and building fancy new homes. Hasn't left much time for fooling with cows, and the grass and hay both in this country are getting hard to come by. Suppose we're watching a way of life die. Might just haul off and go back to my roots that are buried back in the fields of Iowa and Germany one day. Sure would be nice to live in a small town again if every dadgum thing wasn't so expensive. Takes a lot of hours in the week to hammer out a living, but you're right about being in a good area to have the work!

Hello again. You in Central Oregon then? I was just in Culver a few days ago. Certainly changes fast. I was a child In Prineville in the 79's

Hello again. You in Central Oregon then? I was just in Culver a few days ago. Certainly changes fast. I was a child In Prineville in the 79's
Yeap, like FH says, Colorado born and raised, and after several detours, here we are again. Colorado Springs is the bulk of our working area, and that town is growing awfully fast.

We used to live "way the hell out there" and now we're surrounded by 5-35 acre parcels of town job folks. Some even live further east of us and commute every day. Kind of amazing. Lots of areas where I grew up trailing cows are covered up in houses, horses, and RV garages. Brought lots of money out here, but it sure is getting tight.

Beautiful family! Heartwarming for an old former ranch lady to see young happy families with great values.

Colorado Springs born and raised on a Southwest Colorado cattle and alfalfa ranch, with time served on relatives multi-thousand-acre ranches in Texas mesquite country. A short while in Western Montana as a very young adult and then over to Oregon, first in Baker County for many years, then up near the river where the mighty sturgeon still swim. 46 years in Eastern Oregon.

Southwest Colorado ranch land was sold to small acreage California horse people back in the 1970s. Our ranch once 160 acres of great pasture and alfalfa with top irrigation rights was first divided into 20 acres and now I see it is 2 1/2 to 5 acres. Hard to believe they are spreading east out away from the mountains.

Ranchland of any size, at an affordable price, is getting rarer than a gold-tailed platinum beaked Pileated Woodpecker. The big ranches south and east of here are selling to investors as game reserves and recreational playgrounds.

Yeap, used to be you could cruise down the road with a gun rack hanging in your rear window and pull over and shoot a coyote off the hood of your pickup. Either you leased the ground or knew the people who had it and had a standing agreement that one less calf chaser was a good deal.

Now, you can't go down the road without meeting a whole lot of people you don't know. Like I said, good for the local economy, just getting a little less rural each day. I think pretty soon instead of shooting coyotes for pelts all winter, you'll have to pay for the experience of getting to go shoot one.

But it's not quite beautiful enough for game preserves, so into houses it goes! Which is great for a crane operator. Catch 22 I guess.

The small town where I grew up was surrounded with small farms. Berries, chicken farms, bulbs (daffodils), some dairies and a lot of forest land. When I left there 40 years ago it was changing. Now it is houses instead of farms. There was one high school in the school district now there are three very large high schools.
The town I moved to then was very rural. Dairies and vegetable farms. Again it is turning to housing developments. Not a good thing to watch happen once let alone two times. There may be a little expansion in Baker City. But that is pretty minor in comparison and it is 30 miles away from me.
I use to drive passed Durkee and think some nice ranches but kind of junkie in the little town area. Just some old clapboard shacks. Empty but still standing in various stage of decay. Now that I live here I think keep those old shacks. People drive by on the freeway, see that, and keep driving. They don't want to build their big fancy house in this neighborhood. Which is just fine by me.

Won't be so funny in 20 years when there's another 2 billion people on earth.A billion people are starving each day right now.What's it going to be like with another 2 billion added to the mix?

We came back 'home' after being gone 40 years. It was shocking to us how much it had changed. Sheridan is way too busy, everyone in a hurry, people are rude. We are so disappointed. Houses going up all over the place. I see Jaguars, Mercedes, a lot of the high-end vehicles. Oh, we see working pickups too, but not like there used to be.
I always said you could return but you could never go back. 🤔

On the up side, I think there's a lot of opportunity for people that want to grow food and sell it. Wouldn't hurt us to get a little diversity and INCONSISTENCY into our food system in some places. Every change we don't like surely can lead to some sort of new opportunities.

Latest posts