• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How's seeding going?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
We started in the field yesterday.. We were going to go on saturday but the hydraulic pump on the fan on the drill went and the only one we could find for our seedhawk was in Langbank. Out in the field from 3:00-midnight last night and we seeded a whole thirty acres. The drill keeps sinking in the clay even where there's no water anywhere near it. We broke the logging chain draggin the drill out with the T9040. The last time we got stuck we needed another tractor to pull the drill out. Even wth the heavy strap and all the reach and power we could get we didnt budge it.

Hope things are going better for everyone else, and prayers for the farmers that are struggling

You don't live near here...
Thought we would be wet, but the last 4 days of 60 mph winds have fixed a lot of that. We are done cultivating about 40 of our 110 acres of swath grazing to go in. It is actually something of an ordeal to find seed in our area after the wet year and early frost last year, so we don't technically have any seed on our farm yet. Should hopefully have it here by June 1st, but may have to auger the oats on the ground (we don't own a grain bin). Usually we use mini bulk bags and a 5 gallon Drill Fill.

Nothing of ours is seeded yet- some still has standing water- and other fields still have snowmelt draining out of the coulees across them....

Besides our alltime record snowfall- we seem to be in line for every moist Pacific front too....Last week it was 2-4" around the area-- and now (after 2 days of wind) they are predicting another week of showers and rain.... Wind went down this afternoon- and switched directions and its smelling like rain.....

Some folks have gotten some of the more drier benchland seeded-- but in doing so have spent a lot of time tearing up equipment pulling themselves out of mudholes.. :shock:

Today is the first day we got up to 70- and almost set a new record for being late with that...

GLASGOW AIRPORT HAS REACHED 70 DEGREES TODAY MAY 16. THE LATEST
DATE INTO THE YEAR THAT THE TEMPERATURE HAS BEEN AT LEAST 70
DEGREES WAS ON MAY 17 1967
. THE EARLIEST DATE THAT GLASGOW HAS HIT
70 DEGREES WAS ON FEBRUARY 27 1992...AND ON AVERAGE 70 DEGREES OR
HIGHER IS REACHED BY APRIL 10.
THE LAST TIME GLASGOW REACHED 70
DEGREES WAS ON NOVEMBER 7 OF 2010. THIS ALLOWS 2011 TO HAVE THE SECOND
LATEST DATE THAT THE HIGH TEMPERATURE WAS AT LEAST 70 DEGREES.

Grass and weeds are sure growing well tho.....

As of 4pm today hubby is on our last strip of 500+ acres of malt barley. He has been going hard for the last 16 days. Due to all the lakes he would not let me culivate, afraid I'd get the tractor stuck.
So i've been fencing and other things around here.

Have'nt turned a wheel,cows go to grass tomorrow then wendsday I need to run to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester with my brother then when I get home It'll be tillage and trailer building.

Going full out here now finally. Mechanical speedometer and GPS speed indicator don't always match up. Lots of soft obstacles to go around. :shock:

Today was a more productive day then yesterday by a million times, but was not near what we need to get done on time. Got up at 5:30, filled the drill, picked some rocks, and went to school, came home from school at noon and picked rocks/babysat grandpa and the airdrill. roughly 100 acre day as of 9:45, and Dad is seeding the tank out, which should be about another 50 acres. Really proud of everyone out here, between dragging the drill out of the mud, fixing all the little stuff and unplugging boots after every few rounds we're all still joking around despite very serious reality of not farming next year if this doesn't pan out, same as many other farmers in the area.

We had a pre-seeding party in the shop, because Dad pointed out "It's not wether you like what you're doing in the field or not, it can't be helped, but you have to like working with the people you're around. If you don't everyone will get crabby and we'll all hate eachother by the time we mud the 5000 acres in."

Take care, God Bless, stay out of the mud, be safe, and love what you do!

per said:
Going full out here now finally. Mechanical speedometer and GPS speed indicator don't always match up. Lots of soft obstacles to go around. :shock:

GPS is still hooked up but autosteer got taked out of the T9040 before we even took it into the field. It's way too wet to rely on technology when you have to downshift and lock the diff's continuously

Won't be any wheels turning around here for awhile...My nose was right- and the rain moved in during the night...We've received about a 1/4 of an inch so far- and the forecast is for heavier rain in the afternoon....
A solid week of rain as is forecast will really put folks behind... :(

By hitting it hard every time we could corn is down to about 200 acres and beans are down to about 900 acres but we have had a drizzle ( very cold ) since Sunday morning and the next 8 day forcast is for at least 40% chance every day!

I just hope it warms up - - - - why do I need a fire in the middle of May - -- Al Gore told me I would need air conditioning this time of year! Do you think he lied about other things as well?

Today I started discing up a hayfield we broke up last fall. Hopefully be seeding in a couple of days, or better yet it could just rain for awhile.
Cows wouldn't come to feed this morning so I guess it must be spring.

Got done last night. Brought both tractors home today.
Suppose to start raining tomorrow. Got neighbors going full tilt. Had one neighbor bury his seeder and tractor yesterday.

Our 1 hay field is still under water and we got geese and ducks living there now.

just finished up tonight....300 acres of beans and milo in 2 days. ran like a raped ape this evening to finish the beans....a week of rain is forcast, and Saturday, my fat ass will be leaving this cold wet place for a week long cruise through the gulf....

There is nothing moving here in SW Ontario since last Thursday when the rain moved in. The corn is about 75 -80% planted and very few beans the ground. The 7 day forecast has precipitation for almost every day. :shock:

Finished seeding here yesterday. A lot of folks have just started getting going full bore just to get stopped by moisture. I have some hay ground we broke up last year that we will work a couple more times this spring and plant to millet at a later time. Ground needs to be between 65-70 degrees and I think it should be there by August. :roll: We are supposed to get between 2-4" of rain by Friday night. Grass will really be growing if we could ever get some heat. I am getting tired of still wearing winter gear everyday.

Oh well, I will be complaining about the heat soon enough.

Latest posts