• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hows the moisture situation in your area

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WB

Reaction score
Just hope everyone is getting enough. Here in N. Central S.D. things are drier for May 6th than at any time in 30 years. The prospects for grass don't look good. 120 miles to the northeast they are too wet too plant. Hard to figure what is going on.

We're in good shape to carry us into late June or early July I think. We've had 8 inches of rain in the last week and it's raining today. Grass is good most places and the cool weather is helping. Hang in there WB. It'll rain sometime.

Our country is really looking pretty good...I spent today going around part of the fence on the east pasture and was really surprised at all the full waterholes- springs are all running... In fact I got the 4 wheeler bogged down in one coulee down from a spring area- and almost couldn't get out.....Grass is really coming and just needs a few more warm days- temp got to 75 today :D ....

But I sure spent the day cussing antelope and hunters- especially hunters- I usually always cuss antelope when fencing because you always can count on broken wires and popped out staples because of the antelope running thru - but this time on the section and half I got around I found 3 places where the hunters had cut the wire- one place a quarter mile from a gate :mad:

Every spring when I go around those fences I also miracle at and cuss those old diamond willow and ash posts-- most were put in in the early 30's by my grandfather when this country began fencing- they survived thru my dads era- and now I'm still pounding staples into some altho I've gradually replaced many with steel posts...But as I told my son one day- several will probalby outlast me-- but they are pure hell to drive a staple into.....

WB said:
Just hope everyone is getting enough. Here in N. Central S.D. things are drier for May 6th than at any time in 30 years. The prospects for grass don't look good. 120 miles to the northeast they are too wet too plant. Hard to figure what is going on.

It aint hard for me to figger,bout the same ole stuff,to little to late or to much to soon,joking aside,rains have found the TX Hill country,still dry south of San Antonio but the Hill country has'nt looked better in a long time............good luck
PS hang in there it'll rain :wink:

we have gotten enough rain now but it's to late. the fescue in the pastures is ankle high with heads, the wheat is maybe a foot tall with heads, no straw this year. but there are others not as lucky as us

Here in central KS it has been dry for here until the past 10 days or so and it has begun raining-not complaining at all! But still trying to work and get cattle to grass,but if not for the moisture no grass to go to. It will work out some way. So all in all if it does not get real hot and windy-the wheat still has a fairly good chance around this area as it has headed nicely and staring to fill. Whatever happens-- happens :eek:

Our country is greening up nicely, but we were still getting some freezing at night, so that slows the grass down. Yesterday it was 70 degrees and didn't freeze last night, so hopefully, we are on our way to green grass.
It won't take long, once it gets a little warmer at night.

am I the only one who has the cursed "luck" of having my day off being rainy and cool while the days I am stuck inside are always nice, sunny and warm??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
heading to Idaho Falls today with demodriver (for a seminar on getting college tuition assistance) and the day is looking a little glum....cloudy, grey and miserable....should not complain too much, though, as we could always use the moisture!! :roll:

Here in the northern part of Montana the moisture situation is looking good. Most people have gotten a good bit of their field work done and am working on branding and turning cattle out to summer pasture. We know that we can turn hot and dry real quick around here and the saying "we are never more than a week away from a drought" is so very true. Seen too many years start out good but end up bad, hopefully this year will continue good. Hope everyone else gets enough moisture too!

Right where that X is over north west arkansas is is my farm.
We've had 10 inches in the last week or so. Two or three more inches tonight they say although right now it doesn't look that way.
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p120i12.gif

We have has less than an inch of moisture since October. We just keep getting missed.

The surprising thing is that the grass is greening up and the wheat still looks okay (not good, okay). Missed several chances this last weekend.

Often it shows rain on the radar, but still dust on the ground.

It could be better, but it could have (and has) been worse. It actually sprinkled a little here yesterday afternoon, and we've had a couple of good showers a couple of weeks ago, got .60" of moisture out of them!

Hope everyone that needs it, gets rain soon! :cboy:

Your time will come Cowpuncher. I know you have been in drought a long time in your area. It always rains after a drought you know. :wink:

Seriously, I hope you can tap into some moisture sometime soon. It is no fun to be dry forever.

We are way short here too Cowpuncher
Seems it is raining all around us here, but in time we will get our share

Latest posts