• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How's the weather your way????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
Whoa horse!! we just had a gully-washer roll through here that had the windows shaking!!! yep, the rain is always needed, but the temperature here has only reached 80 degrees once this summer!! the hay is not nearly as tall as it should be because of the "unseasonably" cool temps lately!! I guess this is suppose to be hanging around for the week!! sure would be nice if it was warm and dry for the big rodeo on the 3rd and 4th!!

Hot a humid with hot and humid expected fro the next 4 months. We have been without rain for 3 weeks and it is geting dry. 20 to 30% chance every day for the next 10 days but then we have had that same chance for the last 3 weeks too. And still no rain. All of the first cutting of hay up and we are just wait on a few showers for the next cutting. I still have grass but if it don't rain soon some folkes will have to start selling or feeding.

Alabama said:
Hot a humid with hot and humid expected fro the next 4 months. We have been without rain for 3 weeks and it is geting dry. 20 to 30% chance every day for the next 10 days but then we have had that same chance for the last 3 weeks too. And still no rain. All of the first cutting of hay up and we are just wait on a few showers for the next cutting. I still have grass but if it don't rain soon some folkes will have to start selling or feeding.

Need water over here too! Soybeans came up good, and now they are drying up. Pearl millet needs a drink too. Armyworms have been spotted in a few places and don't EVER let anybody tell you they won't eat Bahia.

Here at our place there is misty rain tending to showers. A cool easterly wind with the forecast of moderate to heavy falls over the next two days.
We haven't had a frost for over tens days. We haven't seen much sun over the past week. We had a cold blast of sleet and some snow in our district (no snow at our place only a few flakes) during the last week. Our gullies are trickling along nicely. There is a hint of greenery about the paddocks,especially in the sheltered areas.
Our South Devons and Herefords are calving well. Our Brahmans don't earnestly start till about September (when its warming up a bit).
Our lawn is nice and green and the flowers are blooming quite well. Will prune the roses in about a months time. We have pansies and calendulas in bloom at the minute. We have lots of daffodils in the ground as well as ranunculi,cottage gladioli,ixias,babianas,dutch iris,star lavender,crocus and lots of other bulbs. Our garden is about an acre and a half. We have lots of native and deciduous rees. We have about 100 roses. In about 18months to 2 years we will open our garden to the public once a year.
Here in Australia they have a thing called the open garden scheme. It has gardens open at various times and various areas at leats once a year. All the money for admission goes to charity.
We have a local garden that is 8 acres in size. It is magnificent,its one of Australias renowned garden for perennial plants. I enjoy going each year just to see how much they have added to it. This husband and wife team have helpers though which does detract from things a bit. My garden just has me (and my wife who does the watering).
Enough ramblings.
Hope we see the sun for a day or two before the next cold snap next week.
Colin

Well, here the rain has tapered off. We are still getting rain, just farther between storms (I think that has to do with the hay being up :wink: ). Summer has officially arrived, as well! Overnight we went from 70's, straight to 95+ every day! :???: It's been hotter than you know where for the last 2 weeks. :( I can't hardly wait for august! :p

Yesterday afternoon we got .75- 1 mile west got .2-- 1 miles east got 2 inches-- Some areas further east got over 4 inchs... Just been thunderstorm after thunderstorm rolling thru-- real spotty....

I spent today helping gather and move heifers for a neighbor- About 50 head that he had kept home to AI- then the rains hit- then the creeks flooded- twice-- He has been trying to get them out for about 3 weeks.. This morning we gathered and moved them to corrals where we could load them-- 100 Zillion skeeters the size of sage hens--I felt so bad for the horses as I tried to keep them out of my own eyes, mouth and nose..The twice flooded corrals smelled like someones non-operating septic tank... Made me wonder how Manitoba Rancher is doing up their in his swampland :???: ......

Got them corraled and loaded and hauled about 30 miles to pasture which is so wet that we had to unload them at the road and trail a couple miles into the pasture-- But only about 1/100th the mosquitos....

Country looks beautiful- but the reports of grain and hay fields flattened by hail are filtering in....And it looks like more heading toward us again tonite.....

Way to dry here in TX,april went down as the driest on record,no rain to speak of in May and not a drop so far in June.Hay crops really look bad........................good luck

Faster horses said:
Pictures! Pictures!

Please post some pictures!

I agree!!! We are waiting patiently, Australian Cattleman!!!

OT-----the bit about the corrals and the ever-so-pleasant odor was a real crack-up!! know what ya mean about the skeeters :roll: :roll: Still lots of rolling, dark grey clouds overhead that i am personally sending your way!! :wink: Have fun!!

Its bad up here OT,

It started raining last night beofre supper and rained steady through the night and most of the day today. Not a light rain either a real heavy rain. This morning at 4 am it woke me up when the rain was coming down so I got up and looked out and we couldnt even see the yeard light here in my grandparents yard. Knock at the door around 7 this morning seems a semi with a full super B load of wheat was stuck on a road south of here. Had to fire up the 4 wheel drive tractor and go pull him out. Broke 3 tow ropes before we got him movin. We ended up with over 2.5 inches out of this rain. Everything is just a lake. We still have some cows we cant get to pasture because it is so wet. Corrals are just soup. Its hard getting around feeding them with the MX 110.

And mroe rain on the way Tuesday and Wednesday. Sure glad I got my spraying done. :) Now jsut working on more insurance stuff..... :(

The storm here last night with the all the rain and thunder, not to mention the light show was crazy....sooooo don't need any more of the wet stuff here for a bit. Started at 9:30pm up to 4ish in the am.
All the cattle and horses will need to get some web feet.
Sheesh rain rain go away..

I am glad to see a "neutral zone" here. No bickering and insults at this index.
Anyhow.... its sunny and cool this a.m. No rain in almost 34 hours. Here in Manitoba its been wet, wet and more wet. The mosquitos almost flew off with my youngest child! LOL!!!! Almost no seeding done in my neck of the woods this spring. But we do have TONS of grass for the cattle. Too much on my place for our cattle to consume in the next 4 months. I'll ship some down south! No sense letting the animals suffer like us humans!

Have a good one!

Cowgal, if you stick around for a while you will see that there are times that we take some pretty good (or bad, depending on the situation) swipes at each other. But I think that all of us would be more than happy to open our doors to the others on the board.

And get ready, cause you'll get your share of knocks, too. Helps to have thick skin.

HAY MAKER, if y'all ever show up here in Ontario, I let you in too, but not till you got the good dustin' down that I think you deserve! :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. - Cowgal I like your attitude.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
Cowgal, if you stick around for a while you will see that there are times that we take some pretty good (or bad, depending on the situation) swipes at each other. But I think that all of us would be more than happy to open our doors to the others on the board.

And get ready, cause you'll get your share of knocks, too. Helps to have thick skin.

HAY MAKER, if y'all ever show up here in Ontario, I'd let you in too, but not till you got the good dustin' down that I think you deserve! :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maple Leaf Angus said:

HAY MAKER, if y'all ever show up here in Ontario, I let you in too, but not till you got the good dustin' down that I think you deserve! :x :lol: :lol: :lol:

ditto, here, cowgal!! Ever find yourself headed down my way, let me know!! we can sit and laugh over a cup of coffee!! Lots of good folks on this board....many different opinions and all with the same basic interests....CATTLE, HORSES AND DOGS :wink: :wink: :wink:

Mike did you get rain last night. I see it is wet in montgomery. I did not get a drop but had some thunder. Maybe I will get some tonight.

Alabama said:
Mike did you get rain last night. I see it is wet in montgomery. I did not get a drop but had some thunder. Maybe I will get some tonight.

Not a drop. It was north of me. Glad I din't put down Nitrogen a few weeks ago.

Well thank yah for those kind words!!!!! :wink:

I can well imagine I will get into a tanlge or two as time goes on. Yes I do love my cattle, horses and dogs! Just wish us humans go on together as good as these beasts of burden do.
My door too is always open and coffee on.......
I just hope eventually this whole mess sorts it self out and we as cattleproducers and neighbors work together for the greater cause - cause the greater things in life are family, friends and wll being!

Latest posts